WIll my psu do good for this setup?

estemar20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello, I am going to upgrade from a e6600 to a q6600 and from a gt 640 to a ati radeon 7770 and adding another hard drive but i have a 375 psu . would my power supply be good for the upgrade. here are some other specs :

Intel core 2 quad q6600 at 2.4 Ghz
Zotac gt 640 2Gb
2 cd rom/cd rw combo( i am willing to disable one of them )
sd card reader
an intake fan and a heat sink fan
4 ddr2 memory sticks at 1 Gb each
BY the way my system is a Dell xps 410

Please let me know if you need anymore information Thank You

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
For such of a build, better get a PSU with a Wattage of at least 450, just to be safe. I can recommend you a good enough PSU for an affordable price.
Just tell me how much you're willing to spend (and where you're planning on buying) on a new PSU and I'll pick a good one for you.

Anyway, aside from that, on GPU:
The best HD 7770 is HIS' HD 7770 "iCooler". It performs roughly like other HD 7770s, but eats less energy out of them all, cool and quiet, and has good cooling system.

You should be OK. A 7770 only needs about 80 watts.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card needing about twice as much power as yours, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard (more features than a box stock Dell), 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

I would go with your existing PSU. You will know if it is not sufficient if you start getting seemingly random resets/reboots while under a heavy 3D load (max load) such as gaming.

estemar20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Thank you guys so much but if i find it not efficient I will be willing to spend 30-50$ on a psu. As for them gpu i m considering the I cooler version yet I don't know if I should get a gtx 650 or the 7770

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

On 40~50% load it might, but at 100% it'll eat somewhat more.

So, do you want a recommendation, or not? Just tell me and I'll pick something for you.

GTX 650 would perform a little bit better than HD 7770, but it will also eat more and will cost more. Simple as that. In my personal opinion, that boost in performance isn't worth it.

Rammy

Honorable
Actually a HD7770 will outperform a GTX650 in most tasks. It's a pretty decent card for the price.

I'd imagine a 375W PSU is sufficient as long as it is capable of delivering most of its power on the 12V rail (though that is a fairly big issue). You are unlikely to draw much more than 250W total. One caveat will be if the power supply has a PCIe power cable. While you can use adaptors, I would strongly advise against it.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Alright...let's see...

..."~50$" PSU budget, huh...

...hmmm...

How about this (Power cord not included, must get separately, from other PSU or buy new one) or this?
Not the ultra-top quality PSUs, but it's seriously very hard to pick something truly good for just that amount of money.
These two are fairly decent PSUs and will suit your current needs just fine.
I personally highly recommend the first option, but make note that it has multiple +12V rails, which isn't good in most cases and might not suit you.
Second option has single +12V rail which is always best, but overall quality of "CX" line is very low (it's the lowest level that Corsair offers these days. "CX" line assembled of the most cheapest components available and is not very reliable, so keep your mind on that if you're picking that one).

TRENDING THREADS