Sign in with
Your question

Would this be a good system?

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2012 4:38:07 PM

Looking to build a new system, because my GPU died and the system is just getting old (4 years).
The system will be used for: gaming, audio/video playback, surfing the internet, office.

I would like to re-use the case, monitor, psu en DVD-drive if possible.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite E2473HDS-B1
PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme (500 watt)
DVD-drive: Lite-on iHas124

I was thinking about getting the following parts to upgrade:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K / 3.4 GHz
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G43
GPU: Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X OC
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (8GB 1600)
CPU cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2

So, what's your opinion on this setup? Also, will the PSU be sufficient?

More about : good system

October 10, 2012 4:46:44 PM

You picked really good components, I would just change a few things.

I would get the AsRock Z75 Pro3. It has the same features, just it is a little cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would swap for a MSI 7950. It has a better cooler and overclocks better.

I would also get the Cooler Master EVO 212. It is an excellent cooler, and it is cheap too.

You can re-use all of the components that you have listed would work with this.
Hope this helps!
October 10, 2012 5:19:29 PM

He has already been using the PSU and monitor, which means that he is probably happy with what they are. I wouldn't spend the money if I didn't have to.
Related resources
October 10, 2012 5:25:49 PM

Quote:
You picked really good components

Quote:
1. Crap PSU
2. Crap Monitor
3. Crap Mobo
4. Overpriced GPU unless you plan to crank on the overclock

Now I'm confused...

@zared619: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

@jrgong: Could you explain to me why those parts are that crappy?
October 10, 2012 5:38:20 PM

Quote:
1. PSU OCZ are known for thier SSDs not PSUs and even then not known for thier reliability, something of paramount importance when dealing with PSUs. Although if it hasnt failed you yet it might be fine.
2. Monitor is no name and although i couldnt find the exact model you posted i found others like it and they were all <1080p.
3. MSIs cheap motherboards, like the one you have listed, have been known to crap out on people.
4. The GPU is solid it just costs alot, you can get a reference or dual fan model for much cheaper and so long as you dont put an aggressive overclock on it you wont notice the difference.

Thank you, it makes more sense now.
Since I'm in Europe, the monitor is a European model. So, it probably doens't excist in the US. Here is a link to the specs: http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-e2473hds-1/
October 10, 2012 5:57:07 PM

Just as a side note, MSI does not necessarily make cheap boards, they just have a slightly higher rate of DOA, not necessarily failing later on. If you get one of the bad MSI boards, which you probably won't, it doesn't happen that often, you would just RMA it.
October 10, 2012 7:19:55 PM

Quote:
1. PSU OCZ are known for thier SSDs not PSUs and even then not known for thier reliability, something of paramount importance when dealing with PSUs. Although if it hasnt failed you yet it might be fine.
2. Monitor is no name and although i couldnt find the exact model you posted i found others like it and they were all <1080p.
3. MSIs cheap motherboards, like the one you have listed, have been known to crap out on people.
4. The GPU is solid it just costs alot, you can get a reference or dual fan model for much cheaper and so long as you dont put an aggressive overclock on it you wont notice the difference.

OCZ actually make some excellent PSU's try reading the pro's reviews ZS and ZT series get good reviews (current models) the older models are a bit more hit and miss of the ModXStream series the 600W and above version is very well reviewed but the 500W model is as you stated crap. These old models should begin vanishing though. If we judge a company on some badly done PSU's from way back in the back catalogue then basically anyone but seasonic needs to be defined as crap

The monitor is a reasonably well known brand here in the UK and a reasonably good one at that.

ASRock make some gyppo boards too with crappy VRM cooling, high tier is GByte or ASUS but its all a matter of budget and use what we call crap to a regular user not overclocking is fine.
October 10, 2012 7:59:58 PM

Well, if he touches the 670 he should get one with a non reference cooler. I'm using this one costs the same as the reference cooler cards and runs cooler/more efficient.

and in terms of power supplies I would look into to corsair more reliant amongst the tech world I think.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/55294/CMPSU-600CXV2UK/...

Honestly though I really like your setup I think a 7950 will suit you well unless your wanting the eye candy that nvidia offers. Also as others have said yea the coolermaster evo unless you plan on massively overclocking then I'd suggest the noctua NH-D14 cooler is a BEAST!

October 10, 2012 10:01:27 PM

To the OP: Do not get another power supply. Yours will be fine. Get a 7950 with non-reference cooling and a cooler master 212 EVO. Just so everyone knows: An AsRock is a re-branded Asus. They are the same thing. With an overclock to 4 GHz any half decent board will be fine. A half decent board is an MSI, AsRock, Asus, or Gigabyte. Make sure you pay atleast $80 for it, then you start losing features that are really nice.
October 10, 2012 10:49:11 PM

zared619 said:
To the OP: Do not get another power supply. Yours will be fine. Get a 7950 with non-reference cooling and a cooler master 212 EVO. Just so everyone knows: An AsRock is a re-branded Asus. They are the same thing. With an overclock to 4 GHz any half decent board will be fine. A half decent board is an MSI, AsRock, Asus, or Gigabyte. Make sure you pay atleast $80 for it, then you start losing features that are really nice.

Yup Asrock is Asus's little brother :p 
October 11, 2012 7:44:45 AM

ASRock are a separate entity they have been for a while now their stuff is not rebranded ASUS, even when they were the budget arm of ASUS their stuff was not rebranded ASUS it was cheap budget crap hence ASUS not wanting the ASUS name on it and risk cheapening the brand.

ASrock boards now offer alot of features at seemingly low price remember you dont get features for £50 less than the other company unless something is skimped on, the oh so loved on these forums z77 extreme 4 from ASrock has already been caught out using low end cheap mofsets that lead to overheating VRM's meaning the board didnt get truly stable OC's...... it was as extreme as mayonaise. While that may not matter to people who dont bother actually checking how stable their OC's are or to people that won't OC its not excusable to market it as a premium product and then cut corners. Now I'm not saying "hurr durr" ASrock are awful but ASrock are NOT a top tier maker and never have been if you can afford quality buy Gigabyte or ASUS as a quality board is better than one with features you likely don't even need and questionable build quality

Also while current OCZ PSU's and ModXstream 600W and above are fine that 500W modXstream PSU the OP has picked is the reason people trash talk OCZ its not a good unit it was found to shut down when it approaches its advertised load.
October 11, 2012 1:21:31 PM

Thanks everybody! I'll look into the suggestions and will post an update.

wr6133 said:
ASRock are a separate entity they have been for a while now their stuff is not rebranded ASUS, even when they were the budget arm of ASUS their stuff was not rebranded ASUS it was cheap budget crap hence ASUS not wanting the ASUS name on it and risk cheapening the brand.

ASrock boards now offer alot of features at seemingly low price remember you dont get features for £50 less than the other company unless something is skimped on, the oh so loved on these forums z77 extreme 4 from ASrock has already been caught out using low end cheap mofsets that lead to overheating VRM's meaning the board didnt get truly stable OC's...... it was as extreme as mayonaise. While that may not matter to people who dont bother actually checking how stable their OC's are or to people that won't OC its not excusable to market it as a premium product and then cut corners. Now I'm not saying "hurr durr" ASrock are awful but ASrock are NOT a top tier maker and never have been if you can afford quality buy Gigabyte or ASUS as a quality board is better than one with features you likely don't even need and questionable build quality

Also while current OCZ PSU's and ModXstream 600W and above are fine that 500W modXstream PSU the OP has picked is the reason people trash talk OCZ its not a good unit it was found to shut down when it approaches its advertised load.

It actually is a stealthXtreme and I already own it. Would you buy a new psu? If so, what would be your recommendation?
October 11, 2012 6:22:05 PM

I believe (but check reviews these are old PSU's) stealthXstream was bad but StealthXstream II was good
October 11, 2012 8:24:15 PM

If you have had the PSU for several years now, you should be okay. I think that you would have it broke in by now.
!