Sign in with
Your question

Can I use this 23' touchscreen for me $500 BF3 Ultra Gaming Rig?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Battlefield
  • Touchscreen
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2012 6:55:38 PM

This is the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQ0S

Can I use a http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-2320/pd

As the screen? I am going to do this:

Rip out its HDD and then use the system for its screen, can I do that? I don't know if I can just plug in the cable and be ready, because I have a cable for it and yeah.. how would I do that without the OS? It has no video card, so?

More about : touchscreen 500 bf3 ultra gaming rig

a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 7:29:51 PM

It has an HDMI (input only) so you should be able to hook anything you want up to it. I don't know if the touchscreen functionality is maintained on the second PC. I doubt it.
You can buy a 23 inch touchscreen for $350, which would be cheaper than buying the all in one.
I wouldn't rip the hard drive out of it. It makes no sense.

m
l
October 10, 2012 7:31:57 PM

you actually can use that system just for its screen, which isn't usually the case.

under tech specs you can see it has a hdmi input
"HDMI - input only - connects to the HDMI output connector on your video device such as Blu-ray player, camcorder, or gaming device."

edit: as mentioned above, the touchscreen capabilities would no longer function when used like this
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 7:40:20 PM

Wait, I`m not gonna "rip" it out, but just use it, I already have this but I`m using this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQ0S

With it and I`m taking the i3+1TB HDD out of the touchscreen PC, can I still just hook it up?
m
l
October 10, 2012 7:50:09 PM

the port is there. it *should* work. without having my hands on the system, i cant say for sure it will or not. i would bet money it does though.
m
l
October 10, 2012 7:51:47 PM

Okay, good because the 2320 (this PC the 23') will have no CPU or HDD, so hopefully I can just the sexy screen :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 9:51:01 PM

There may not be any functionality as a screen unless you have the proc and hdd in the box. Meaning, the device may not turn on at all without the internal system working. Does it have a function where you can switch the input from the PC that is integrated to the HDMI? Does it even turn on when there isn't a processor installed?
I'd remove the hdd, or better the processor, and see if you can still plug a DVD player into the screen and get sound and video to run on it. It depends on how the manufacturer set up the box. If a DVD/Blu-ray player can be hooked up to it via HDMI when no HDD/proc is present then a PC with a DVI/HDMI output will work too.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:55:30 AM

It has a VGA thingy on the back, but I can't find HDMI, I might be there and I just can't find it, but I see a VGA for sure.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2012 2:51:50 PM

ok... well find it! I can't do it for you...
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:52:34 PM

No no no... I see exactly what you want to do and this is not the right way to do it. Just buy a touch screen monitor, not an all in one computer... You will need VGA/DVI/HDMI to carry the picture and USB to carry the touch input.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:06:38 PM

Omg nobody sees what I want to do, I already that the touchscreen PC, I`m buying a new rig minus the HDD+i3, and screen, all of which I have on this pc, see what I mean now? I`ll be connection a PC to this, except its gonna be empty on the inside, I`m wondering if it will still work.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:26:18 PM

I would bet that it won't work with no "guts" inside of it. Imagine a laptop, would you be able to run the screen with no motherboard?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2012 9:34:37 PM

Seriously... I'd just spend $120 on a 22 inch 1080P monitor and leave the other system intact. If you wanted to borrow the PROC/HDD from the all-in-one fine. You could replace the i3 with a cheap $40 celeron processor and a $40 60 Gb SSD in it and it would run fine.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:17:33 PM

Or.. I can save myself all the money and just ask if I can do this, or try it myself instead of people asking me to buy another rig.
m
l
!