Computer was working fine until update.

drpep

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hello all,
I was having trouble with Microsoft security essentials not scanning when it was scheduled. I deleted the program and re installed it. When I went to turn my computer off at night I saw that it was going through a windows update but did not think much of it and went to sleep. When I got home the next turn I tried to turn on my computer but whenever it go half way through the windows logo the computer would flash a blue screen extremely fast and restart.

Upon reboot I was promoted to try and repair windows 7, I tried to repair it but each time it would fail. I then tried to re install windows 7 and my computer would get to Expanding windows files and be stuck at 0% until it errored out. I know its not the disc because i tried to install windows XP and was getting even more error messages.

I swapped out hard drives thinking that was the problem but it was not. I read here to download memtest and I did. When i did the test on both sticks it would fail on test 6 with 400+ errors.

I am thinking it could be the motherboard but right now I am really lost. Thanks for any/all advice.

Solution
G

how long of a time did you give it?

first time i install windows it was stuck @ 0% for quite sometime before it actually started expanding ( i took a shower!)

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Most likely your memory. Try booting with only one stick of Mem and re run your memtest and try to find a stick that won't fail.

Don't think it's the Mobo.

If new Ram does not do the trick then it gets more complicated as it could be the mobo, CPU, or Power Supply that is giving you grief, and if you upgrade the system to something newer then you may want to replace all 3 of these at the same time anyways.

G

When i did the test on both sticks it would fail on test 6 with 400+ errors.

so why would you think its the motherboard?

test with one stick then the other to find which one it is. is this a new build where you may be able to RMA the ram?

drpep

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I should of been much more clear guys. I did test each stick by themselves and they would both get to test 6 or 9 and the memtest would freeze. The reason i am thinking its the mobo is because both sticks got to around the same point in memtest and then it froze.
Thanks

mad1316

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
If memtest fails a stick of memory, it is worth your time to get a known good stick to check with. Also, make sure to set your BIOS to defaults, as I've seen some RAM that only fails when running with the wrong settings (OC, or otherwise manually set). If you reset your CMOS and the RAM still fails, try a fresh stick. If it still fails, try a BIOS flash. If it still fails, try any of those sticks of RAM in a friends motherboard with memtest, and let us know what you get.

drpep

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I tested the each ram stick individually in a different slot and both passed Memtest with out a single error. I tried booting up my computer to install windows 7 with just one stick of ram in the good slot that I tested but it still got stuck on expanding windows files 0%. Im guessing it might be best to just RMA the board and go from that point on .

G

how long of a time did you give it?

first time i install windows it was stuck @ 0% for quite sometime before it actually started expanding ( i took a shower!)

Solution

drpep

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
So I found out one of the slots on motherboard is defective so I am just using two other slots. I left it going for over and hour in which it still did not expand the files. I then left it on over night and it finally went through.
Thank you all for the help!