First Two Builds - Need Help Deciding and Advice

I plan on using either of these builds for gaming but can't decide between the two. The major difference is in the processors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Build 1:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jUYh

Build 2:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jW3w
16 answers Last reply
More about first builds deciding advice
  1. I would suggest to drop the SSD becuase it wont help much in gaming but the loading screen and put the $100 into a better GPU which will make a significant difference for gaming. I would instead get a intel i5 3570k and a z77 motherboard in Build 1.

Heres what i would do

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jWM2

changed the processor, motherboard and videocard and got rid of SSD and you dont really need a full case so i added a nice ATX which would have more than enough space for your build.
  2. Quote:
    I would suggest to drop the SSD becuase it wont help much in gaming but the loading screen and put the $100 into a better GPU which will make a significant difference for gaming. I would instead get a intel i5 3570k and a z77 motherboard in Build 1.

I definitely agree with this but some builds the 3570K doesn't make sense - you can run a slower CPU and be fine.

This is what I would get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($99.64 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $968.10
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  3. Ya an intel i5 3450 would be good to but he needs to choose whether he wants to overclock or not but that GPU is a good deal only $289 for a 7950
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    Quote:
    I would suggest to drop the SSD becuase it wont help much in gaming but the loading screen and put the $100 into a better GPU which will make a significant difference for gaming. I would instead get a intel i5 3570k and a z77 motherboard in Build 1.

I definitely agree with this but some builds the 3570K doesn't make sense - you can run a slower CPU and be fine.

This is what I would get:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($99.64 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $968.10

Don't think OP needs operating system, so could add in SSD, or have overclocking for around same price.
  5. malbluff said:
    Don't think OP needs operating system, so could add in SSD, or have overclocking for around same price.

I personally think I'd go for overclocking - it's easier to add an SSD later, not so much a whole new motherboard.

Adjust accordingly:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Total: $984.41

$20 more than my original build but allows for a pretty decent overclock.
  6. Thanks for the great recommendations! I actually started looking at the i5-3570k immediately after posting this. I adjusted your build slightly. How does this sound?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $889.91
  7. elessarseregon said:
    Thanks for the great recommendations! I actually started looking at the i5-3570k immediately after posting this. I adjusted your build slightly. How does this sound?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $889.91

You don't need 16GB of RAM, and XMS is very low quality compared to the rest of what Corsair makes. Better would be to get 8GB of quality RAM like Mushkin, G.Skill, or Crucial.

And then ModXstream PSUs aren't the best - go with a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - modular, efficient and cheap. Plus above average build quality. Can't go wrong there.
  8. As for the RAM I only put that one on there because I already have it =/ Will the RAM really be that much of a problem? Have no problem changing the PSU though.
  9. Also, I don't know much about Crossfire or SLI. Would I use Crossfire or SLI for the processor and gpu? Are there any good guides or an easy way to do this?
  10. elessarseregon said:
    As for the RAM I only put that one on there because I already have it =/ Will the RAM really be that much of a problem? Have no problem changing the PSU though.

If you already have it you can certainly use it - just make sure the voltages match your motherboard.
  11. g-unit1111 said:
    If you already have it you can certainly use it - just make sure the voltages match your motherboard.

The voltages are the same as what you recommended. I guess my question is what would the downside be to using the ram as chose as opposed to a higher quality. Will I lose performance?
  12. I have had it brought to my attention, that there can be issues, of overheating, with the Extreme 4 motherboard, under high CPU wattage conditions. This should not be a serious concern to OP, with Ivybridge CPU, provided he does not intend to overclock, too agressively, but something of which one should be aware.
  13. Edit. Post entered twice. System bit slow today.
  14. elessarseregon said:
    The voltages are the same as what you recommended. I guess my question is what would the downside be to using the ram as chose as opposed to a higher quality. Will I lose performance?

Most RAM comes off the same assembly line but some companies do make better RAM than others - G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair Vengeance, and Mushkin all come to mind.

Quote:
    I have had it brought to my attention, that there can be issues, of overheating, with the Extreme 4 motherboard, under high CPU wattage conditions. This should not be a serious concern to OP, with Ivybridge CPU, provided he does not intend to overclock, too agressively, but something of which one should be aware.

Well of course messing with the voltage will cause your system to over heat, you don't need to be Tony Stark to figure that one out. :lol:

But can you post a link to what you are talking about?
  15. Most RAM comes off the same assembly line but some companies do make better RAM than others - G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair Vengeance, and Mushkin all come to mind.

So, I have no problem purchasing more RAM and just returning what I bought or saving it for a cheaper build; that is if you think it would actually be worth it for my gaming build to get better quality memory.
  16. g-unit1111 said:
    Most RAM comes off the same assembly line but some companies do make better RAM than others - G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair Vengeance, and Mushkin all come to mind.

Quote:
    I have had it brought to my attention, that there can be issues, of overheating, with the Extreme 4 motherboard, under high CPU wattage conditions. This should not be a serious concern to OP, with Ivybridge CPU, provided he does not intend to overclock, too agressively, but something of which one should be aware.

Well of course messing with the voltage will cause your system to over heat, you don't need to be Tony Stark to figure that one out. :lol:

But can you post a link to what you are talking about?

Can't remember which one gave a fairly good explanation, but if you Google "ASRock Extreme4 VRM overheating", there are a couple of articles/threads on the issue. Something about cheap, older components used, being suitable for Ivybridge, at modest OC, but not for Sandybridge, or more drastic OC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Processors Systems Product