Intel Core i7-3517U

leo9806

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I would like some opinions on this cpu if possible. Is this a fast cpu for a laptop and will it perform well with an amd radeon hd 8730m?

leo9806

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I will be using it to render videos in sony vegas and for gaming. Is this a good cpu for this kind of stuff or will it be to slow for long projects in rendering?
Thanks, Leo.

I expect that as it is a laptop it will not be able to run at that kind of load for hours on end, and will throttle. Do you have to have a laptop?

Other than that it will be OK, but the low voltage (U) processors are slower than the non -U processors so that battery life can be increased.

leo9806

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Ok thanks for the info! And yes i need a laptop for university next year :)

leo9806

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Ok thanks for the info! And yes i need a laptop for university next year :)

well it will be one of the better lower voltage laptop processors. Depending on the laptop manufacturer the thermal solution that they use might only be able to cope with 100% for say 5mins (very little thermal mass in a laptop) after which it will throttle, they might be able to cope with 90% with intermittent 100% forever.

However as soon as the thermal solution starts to pick up fluff and dust etc. it'll start to struggle. But thats what happens to laptops.

My advice regarding a laptop is just to get a light and basic one for your documents, some movies and some light and casual games. To get decent gaming, editing and rendering will require a high-end laptop with proper cooling. If you don't get proper cooling you will experience throttle due to the bad cooling in a regular laptop. Also you almost don't get any performance for your money, laptop hardware and desktop hardware are miles apart. A great performing laptop also often has a lot of weight to it because of all the cooling that is needed and the big battery to make it last just for a little while. High performance equals high power consumption which means short battery life.

So maybe you should buy a cheap laptop, a cheap ultrabook. You should aim after lightness, battery life and how thin it is. When you're at the university you will carry it everywhere, so the size, weight and battery life is VERY important.

IF you got yourself that cheap laptop, then you could maybe afford a mid-range desktop to have in your room. I know you wouldn't have access to your games everywhere or whatever, but it would prove to give you the performance you need.

I also bought a laptop when I started in the Gymnasium (similar to high-school I believe) as it's called where I live. I was to use it for gaming, editing and of course to have my school stuff on. I soon realised that it wasn't good for any of those things. It was very heavy and because it had quad-core CPU and a high-end GPU it required a lot of power, so I also had to have the charger with me all the time. It was killing my back. When I was gaming it was getting too hot and all my games became sluggish. So I bought myself a proper desktop to do that kind of things on.

So what did I get? I got to pay a lot of money for some performance in a laptop I'm never going to use and a bad study laptop due to bad power effiency and a lot of weight.

leo9806

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

This is exactly what i am going to do! Great advice and thanks for taking the time to answer! :D