Win 7 home premium 64 bit continuous freezing

krayvok

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hello,

I'm new to toms hardware but ive found myself here in search of trouble shooting issues, and some advise.

Recently ive purchased a new computer, running a
-Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400S
-MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N56GSO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9
-Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All inside a
-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Long story short my computer completely locks up anywhere from 10 seconds into a full boot or an hour or two. It can even lock up right after being off for 10~ hours while im at work.
I've been dealing with this issue for about a week now and i feel like ive done everything that i can on MAKING SURE ALL drivers are updated, all windows components are updated, cords are fully connected, and just about anything else.
My event log tells me nothing,

which leads me to believe that its a defective mother board,

When it locks up its like cutting a movie film with sissors, it just freezes and all USB hubs die, the monitor stays on a single screen with out being to move mouse, type and the time DOES NOT change. It even sometimes goes to the extreme to just turning off with in a split second, then self rebooting.

please halp =((((

The games i play are league of legends(since beta), Battlefield 3, CS:S, SC2 when i get this computer issue fixed, and many many other games i will install when im able ><.
<3 any advise and thank you in advance<333. my computer actually froze while i was typing advance... but chrome is awesome enough to save this entire text field, lmao

krayvok

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Never any blue screen, thatd make it easy =(. Always just an instant freeze and instant power down, wait 5 power on. =( i shall try and see what we get, i dont have my hopes very high tho XD

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
well its either yourmemory or a PSU failure.

The power supply has no firmware or anything so the only way to test it is to put it under load, every time you boot there is a spike because multiple services have to start. Have you tried safe mode?

krayvok

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I just ran in safe mode after a crash... again, like 5th in the past 30 m

^ froze right then.... twice.
i cant get this thing to stay on 5 minutes anymore
P9GASIUHBDNASODJAPSUIDBHA;SDJASOJBHIASLUDGHBSD;SA

i just checked event viewer in safe mode and i get a lot of event ID 3011 and 3012...
if it means anything
this is extremely frustrating.
i will be checking this via phone as well, all the help i can get is <3 :ange:

goldfish1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Got a UPS between the PC & the wall?

Some newer power-supplies have a real "attitude" about anything except the best pure sine-wave UPS devices. Had to "dump" my old UPS when I got a new Dell a few years back. Lower-end UPS devices don't switch fast enough for some power-supplies.

krayvok

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Nah i dont have one of those, its plugged in to a multi plug deal thing, power strip i guess, but a heavy duty one ive used for years since ive been gaming for a long time now.
But weird thing is its crashed nearly 10 times in the past 1 1/2 hours ONLY when i launch google chrome and event viewer... but after it boots from a crash this time i go straight in to battlefield 3 and it hasnt crashed once... and ive been playing for about 30 minutes now
i just dont understand
its so inconstant.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It doesn't have to be a hardware failure. I've see Windows computers instantly reboot because of corrupted Windows files before. It is true that if your home's power voltage fluctuates then it can cause your computer to instantly reboot or shutdown like that, but I haven't experienced that in about 8-10 years.

Boot into Windows and tell it to run chkdsk on the drive and see if it finds anything. Or slave the drive into another computer if you have one and chkdsk it that way.

lesterf1020

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Whenever I encounter these things it is normally the PSU. PSU's fail in strange ways. Some fail under load and some just do random stuff. Test it with another PSU. I have also seen dust cause this problem once.

LudovicD

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Hello,
Just to stress, the BIOS (or what is run at boot-time before the computer choose on which media/disk/partition to boot) does NOT test your memory showing it is fine or works fine (it merely checks the memory is recognized). Testing the memory requires a memory testing program, such memtest86 or similar (memtest64), and can only run as booted from an external media (CD/DVD), i.e. not from within an OS, such as Windows; you should ask yourself which OS you have been using. if it is Windows 7 or Vista, memtest86 exist on the Windows 7/Vista setup DVD, so you can use it if you have been using Win Vista/7. Otherwise use Ultimate boot CD (www.UBCD4win.com) (and select not to launch windows environment, but the memtest86 tool from the very first menu displayed in DOS size text when it boots from the CD) (the BIOS may need to set to from the CD first, instead of the hard drive).

For me (after finding out the computer reboots when testing the memory), the problem has reduced (not stopped completely) by (cleaning the dust off 1 memory module,) swapping the positions of the memory modules with each other (slot 1 and 3), reducing the speed of the memory (i.e. below 1333 MHz) (to around 1200 MHz) (using only 2 DDR3 memory modules) (and ensuring the voltage in the BIOS follows the value on the label on the memory module); it is probably useful to reduce the number of memory modules to 1 or 2 (during testing) (and if using them despite them not having passed/no longer passing the memory tests) (like me, when the problem has reduced, the freeze are not not often, normally don't last more than 60-90 sec., and often less then 10 sec.) obviously if some or all your memory module(s) don't pass/no longer pass a memtest86 (or similar memory test), you can contact your computer retailer or the memory manufacturer. You need to test, but there should be chances that at least one of your memory module pass the memory test (on its own).

if you find out the memory is really fine, there are ways to test your Power Supply Unit (may need an electrical test tool such as a multimeter). In other test to do on such freezes lock-up issues (and this is more basic), are to watch check the temperatures of each of the CPU cores with something like CoreTemp (anything above 70C is really really hot, a red zone, amber zone maybe 65-68C C).

Best of Luck.