Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best gaming custom desktop for ~$1000

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2012 9:54:43 PM

I am ordering parts seperately from newegg.ca I was wondering if somebody could find me the best value for ~$1000. This needs to include the operating system (windows 7) and all other required parts. Obviously since it's a gaming focused computer I am looking for an intel i5 at the least and preferably an nvidia geforce. The game I am currently into is league of legends but I would like this system to be able to run newer games on high setting if possible. A good balance of RAM, CPU, and GPU is what im looking for. The main focus is GPU however. Please respond asap.

NOTE: I have never built my own computer before so please make sure the parts are all compatible.
October 10, 2012 10:16:09 PM

i dont feel like spending $100 on a case and $50 on ram seems right
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 10:20:39 PM

strybid said:

Edit it as you wish
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 10:34:39 PM

strybid said:

Personally I'd recommend the NZXT Gamma Classic, with one extra 120mm and one extra 140mm fan.

As for ram, there's no point in spending $100 on it anymore - it's become dirt cheap. The best 8Gigs of 1600MHz ram will only cost you about $70, and that's just a premium for having a CAS latency lower than normal. And if you're wondering, no, you don't need more than 8Gigs - save the money and buy a good SSD.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 10:43:19 PM

You're gaming, right? Don't buy the 660ti - the neutered memory bandwith makes it kinda awful. Let's see if we can get your costs down to let you afford a 670.

An SSD goes along with an HDD - you install your OS to it, and any programs that you use frequently or that take a long time to load. If you play MMOs, put them on there - it makes loading screens go bye-bye.

Like I was saying, you don't need 16 gigs of ram for anything but the heaviest rendering. You also don't get ANY benefit out of having ram faster than 1600MHz on an intel chip - it's just wasted money. I'd go with am 8Gig pair that runs at 1600 with a Cas latency of 7 or 8 - it'll be faster than the ram you have selected now, and cheaper.

Unless you REALLY like the looks of that case, I'd avoid it - there's not much room on the inside due to bad design. Again, take a look at the Gamma Classic - it's the best budget case I've ever found.

That power supply will explode your entire computer, and I'm only half exaggerating. You've got some interesting priorities - you spend $100 on ram and $17 on the part that's most likely to fail, and most likely to break other parts when it does fail? Get a corsair HX-650 or 550. It's a well built part.
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:43:22 PM

strybid said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jXqH would this be a sufficient build? and does a SSD replace or go along with HDD?

An SSD can go along with an HDD, The build you have made looks good.
I dont see a point with an SSD unless you doing video editing or photo shop.
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:43:44 PM

That GPU looks a bit expensive to me, is there a particular reason why you choose it?
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:44:48 PM

Yes because I don't plan to reclace it anytime soon whereas the other parts I may consider swapping
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 10:46:16 PM

Since those changes won't make a big enough difference to afford a decent SSD / an upgrade to your graphics card, I have two recommendations.

Go AMD. The 7950 will blow the 660ti out of the water, as will the 7870 after overclocking.

The second thing is to break your bank and buy a 128GB ssd - either OCZ vertex 4, Samsung 830, or intel 520. It really does make a huge difference as to everything.

m
l
October 10, 2012 10:46:31 PM

i'd choose a nice 7950 instead of that 660Ti cause with a slight OC 7950 will perform much better in most scenarios
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 10:47:33 PM

Haha, tech, I said the exact opposite. General rule of thumb is to spend twice on the GPU what you do on the CPU.

Also, Stry, you've got it backwards... it's better to keep the other parts - that i5 will last you without bottlenecking the next two or three generations of GPUs, easy.
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:47:35 PM

By the way check out Tom's deals page there is an 240 GB intel SSD for 169$, good deal imo
EDIT: OR is that a typo?
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:47:41 PM

I agree with DarkSable
after looking at it once more the PSU is way too cheep you will be lucky if it is not DOA when you get it..
Invest in a better psu unless you want to buy them weekly..
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:54:21 PM

You do not need a monitor?
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:55:48 PM

I have one
m
l
October 10, 2012 10:58:19 PM

what is the maximum resolution that you plan to play your games with? cause if your monitor is not at least full HD, that GPU will be kinda wasted
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:00:12 PM

strybid said:
hows this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jXwq i also plan to buy a SSD after I purchase this system so that isn't part of my budget right now

Look great,
one more thing if you where to spend $40 more you could get the 4gb evga 670 insted of the 2gb
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:02:43 PM

What is the difference with GB's in cpu's?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:08:09 PM

Don't bother with a 4gb card - the only difference in GB's is what screen resolution they can render at. Unless you're gaming on three monitors, there's no point right now in anything more than 2gb.
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:09:25 PM

strybid said:
What is the difference with GB's in cpu's?

It's GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) and the more GB's You have Bascaly to sum it all up the more GB in the GPU the better FPS (Frames per second) the better gameplay less freeze less lag better picture and you can put it to higher setings. So its a good thing over all
Yes i whould pay the extra money.
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:13:16 PM

The 4gb 670 has 967 mhz and the 2gb has 1.01 ghz is this a noteable difference?
m
l

Best solution

October 10, 2012 11:17:09 PM

strybid said:
The 4gb 670 has 967 mhz and the 2gb has 1.01 ghz is this a noteable difference?

Very very minor you wont see a diffrence between 1.01 and 967MHz
October 10, 2012 11:18:33 PM

Best answer selected by strybid.
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:18:44 PM

thanks !
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:21:38 PM

AJaay said:
It's GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) and the more GB's You have Bascaly to sum it all up the more GB in the GPU the better FPS (Frames per second) the better gameplay less freeze less lag better picture and you can put it to higher setings. So its a good thing over all
Yes i whould pay the extra money.

... No. Dirt wrong. (And filled with spelling and grammar errors to boot.)

Having more video ram (which is what we're talking about) only helps increase FPS as long as you don't have enough. Modern graphics cards are still being sold with 512 MBs VRAM, so 2GBs of GDDR5 RAM is going to be PLENTY, again, as long as you aren't gaming on more monitors.

As long as you have enough of it, adding more does NOTHING for your FPS, your latency, or lag. It doesn't do anything but make the card more expensive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:24:10 PM

Strybid, please do yourself a favor and don't waste the $40...

You will see NO difference in performance between the two cards. If you do artificial benchmarks, the 2GB version will actually give you MORE fps. [Even if the clocks were switched, paying $40 more for 1-2 more FPS is just silly.]
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:27:11 PM

DarkSable said:
... No. Dirt wrong. (And filled with spelling and grammar errors to boot.)

Having more video ram (which is what we're talking about) only helps increase FPS as long as you don't have enough. Modern graphics cards are still being sold with 512 MBs VRAM, so 2GBs of GDDR5 RAM is going to be PLENTY, again, as long as you aren't gaming on more monitors.

As long as you have enough of it, adding more does NOTHING for your FPS, your latency, or lag. It doesn't do anything but make the card more expensive.

Haha kid your makeing me laugh it increases the FPS way and i mean way better then the 2gb there is no comparison between the two. Whats your set up? a 550ti SLI? with an asrock MOBO? Dam kids are stupid now days...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:33:43 PM

... Wow. A troll with bad grammar. Who would have thought.

My setup is a 2GB 670, OC'ed to 1200MHz, with a Gigabyte board. I buy quality.

I've also been in the computer business a LOT longer than you have, 'dam kid.' I've been working in IT for 37 years, and been a gamer longer than that.

Now then. Flaming aside, you're still wrong.

You're getting clock speed confused with Vram. The clock speed is measured in MHz - that's the 967 mhz and 1010 mhz that the OP was referring to. In that case, bigger is always better.

The 2GB and 4GB are talking about Vram. This is just like the RAM your CPU uses, but specialized for graphics cards. Just like DDR3 ram, there's a point up to which more ram is an amazing thing, and a point where it's simply not necessary, period.

Stribid, just like how 16GBs of RAM isn't going to increase performance at all unless you're rendering, 4GB of VRAM won't increase performance at all unless you're using more than 2... which NO game, at 1920x1020 comes close to.

You simply don't need a 4GB card, and it won't help you out at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:36:36 PM

Also, look at it this way. If a 4 GB card, " increases the FPS way and i mean way better," then why in the WORLD is it only $40 cheaper? Why wouldn't it be more expensive than a GTX 680? I mean, the difference between a 670 and a 680 at stock is less than 5%... and a 5% increase in framerate isn't what I'd call "way better."
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:43:21 PM

AJaay said:
Haha kid your makeing me laugh it increases the FPS way and i mean way better then the 2gb there is no comparison between the two. Whats your set up? a 550ti SLI? with an asrock MOBO? Dam kids are stupid now days...

The 4GB frame buffer is also going to be overkill for a 1080p gamer and you should only be concerned about this feature if you are going to look at a triple-display NVIDIA Surround configuration. said:
The 4GB frame buffer is also going to be overkill for a 1080p gamer and you should only be concerned about this feature if you are going to look at a triple-display NVIDIA Surround configuration.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Galaxy-GeFo...
m
l
October 10, 2012 11:50:45 PM

DarkSable said:
Also, look at it this way. If a 4 GB card, " increases the FPS way and i mean way better," then why in the WORLD is it only $40 cheaper? Why wouldn't it be more expensive than a GTX 680? I mean, the difference between a 670 and a 680 at stock is less than 5%... and a 5% increase in framerate isn't what I'd call "way better."

Your still talking ***?
Dam get off the computer, i bet your as white as a ghost..
Are you afraid of the sun?
OK MS. I know every thing in the world, With 4gb there is no point to SLI unless you want your pc to run even better..
Do the math "kid" what does 2+2=? how about 4+4=?
Well from what i heard 8gb is higher then 4gb
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:56:31 PM

...If you knew ANYTHING about computers, you'd know that VRAM in SLI doesn't stack.

Both cards have to store all frames for all monitors, thus two 2GB cards only give you an effective 2GB of VRAM... on the same note, 4GB cards give you 4GBs... if it were additive, there'd be no reason for them to make 4GB cards.

And with any card, there's no point to SLI except to make your pc run better... that's why you set up SLI.

Again, I'm pretty sure you're just confused. The 4GB isn't referring to clock speed. If it were, then the 4GB card would be twice as good. What it's referring to is memory ... RAM.

Okay... let me ask you a question... will a computer that has 32 GB of ram run a game faster than the same computer that has 16 GB?

In case you're having trouble, the answer is that it won't. The same thing applies to the cards - RAM is only good up to a certain point.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 11:58:19 PM

I'm not trying to change your mind - you're too willfully ignorant to bother.

What I'm trying to do is save the OP from spending $40 more on a card that will perform worse than the cheaper option.

Strybid, if you look at any other forum in here, or use google, you'll see that all my points are correct, including the fact that you don't need 4Gigs VRAM unless you're using multiple monitors and that VRAM in SLI stacks strangely.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:27:10 AM

Well unlike you he probably actually went to university, ram and clock speed barely affect speed, what matters is the architecture and the way the card is produced. Like a gts 450 has a 700 mhz speed and 512 mb of ram, while the gt 440 has a 800 mhz speed and 2 gb clock speed. Then the gt 440 should be faster then right? Well, it is not, the gts 450 absolutely smokes the gt 440.

Edit: talking to Ajaay
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2012 12:40:17 AM

Thanks for the backup, Samuel.

I did go to university - MIT, in fact. Major in IT, minor in PCB design. (Back when that was still something you could major in.)

It's the same reason a 9800GT isn't a better card then anything modern, even though it's texel rate is twice as high.

Edit:

Strybid, if you haven't bought everything yet, go with the 2GB version. There's no reason to get the 4GB version - it's not faster, it's just got more memory for if you have multiple monitors.
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:04:08 AM

okay i will get the 2gb, should i stick with 8gb of ram or go for 16gb?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2012 1:15:41 AM

It depends. Do you do a lot of heavy photo or video editing / modeling / rendering?

If not, then 8 is more than enough, especially for gaming.

Sorry to disrupt your thread with drama. :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:17:47 AM

no i dont thanks :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:33:01 AM

More VRAM, as far as i know, helps in higher resolutions with anti-aliasing. 2GB of VRAM is already plenty for full HD gaming. But if you plan to game at higher resolutions, say like 2560x1600 or higher, more VRAM helps. Also VRAM does not stack in SLI or Xfire. This is one of the reasons I asked before what resolution you prefer in gaming
m
l
!