Best gaming custom desktop for ~$1000

strybid

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I am ordering parts seperately from newegg.ca I was wondering if somebody could find me the best value for ~$1000. This needs to include the operating system (windows 7) and all other required parts. Obviously since it's a gaming focused computer I am looking for an intel i5 at the least and preferably an nvidia geforce. The game I am currently into is league of legends but I would like this system to be able to run newer games on high setting if possible. A good balance of RAM, CPU, and GPU is what im looking for. The main focus is GPU however. Please respond asap.

NOTE: I have never built my own computer before so please make sure the parts are all compatible.

Solution

Very very minor you wont see a diffrence between 1.01 and 967MHz

Personally I'd recommend the NZXT Gamma Classic, with one extra 120mm and one extra 140mm fan.

As for ram, there's no point in spending $100 on it anymore - it's become dirt cheap. The best 8Gigs of 1600MHz ram will only cost you about $70, and that's just a premium for having a CAS latency lower than normal. And if you're wondering, no, you don't need more than 8Gigs - save the money and buy a good SSD.

You're gaming, right? Don't buy the 660ti - the neutered memory bandwith makes it kinda awful. Let's see if we can get your costs down to let you afford a 670.

An SSD goes along with an HDD - you install your OS to it, and any programs that you use frequently or that take a long time to load. If you play MMOs, put them on there - it makes loading screens go bye-bye.

Like I was saying, you don't need 16 gigs of ram for anything but the heaviest rendering. You also don't get ANY benefit out of having ram faster than 1600MHz on an intel chip - it's just wasted money. I'd go with am 8Gig pair that runs at 1600 with a Cas latency of 7 or 8 - it'll be faster than the ram you have selected now, and cheaper.

Unless you REALLY like the looks of that case, I'd avoid it - there's not much room on the inside due to bad design. Again, take a look at the Gamma Classic - it's the best budget case I've ever found.

That power supply will explode your entire computer, and I'm only half exaggerating. You've got some interesting priorities - you spend $100 on ram and $17 on the part that's most likely to fail, and most likely to break other parts when it does fail? Get a corsair HX-650 or 550. It's a well built part.

AJaay

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

An SSD can go along with an HDD, The build you have made looks good.
I dont see a point with an SSD unless you doing video editing or photo shop.

Since those changes won't make a big enough difference to afford a decent SSD / an upgrade to your graphics card, I have two recommendations.

Go AMD. The 7950 will blow the 660ti out of the water, as will the 7870 after overclocking.

The second thing is to break your bank and buy a 128GB ssd - either OCZ vertex 4, Samsung 830, or intel 520. It really does make a huge difference as to everything.

Haha, tech, I said the exact opposite. General rule of thumb is to spend twice on the GPU what you do on the CPU.

Also, Stry, you've got it backwards... it's better to keep the other parts - that i5 will last you without bottlenecking the next two or three generations of GPUs, easy.

AJaay

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I agree with DarkSable
after looking at it once more the PSU is way too cheep you will be lucky if it is not DOA when you get it..
Invest in a better psu unless you want to buy them weekly..

AJaay

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

It's GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) and the more GB's You have Bascaly to sum it all up the more GB in the GPU the better FPS (Frames per second) the better gameplay less freeze less lag better picture and you can put it to higher setings. So its a good thing over all
Yes i whould pay the extra money.

AJaay

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

Very very minor you wont see a diffrence between 1.01 and 967MHz

Solution