Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD FX-8350 Idle temp

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 23, 2013 1:25:17 PM

Hello all,

So, I have recently upgraded to AMD FX-8350 processor. I used the original thermal compound that was supplied with the processor. However, my question is, http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9359/fx8350temps.png are these temps normal on idle? Note that this was built today, so the thermal paste hasn't gotten any time to set properly. It hasn't been OCed, it uses the original heatsink.

So, the question is, should I put some Arctic Silver paste or is the original one good? And also, what is the "temp safe zone" in the FX-8350 (max temp, before the CPU is damaged)? I am afraid that I will burn it, because I used the original paste, that was supplied with the heatsink. Can I still play games, even with the original thermal paste? (Note, I mainly play Battlefield 3, so the original thermal paste might not be good enough)

More about : amd 8350 idle temp

February 23, 2013 6:31:48 PM

Dezent777 said:
Hello all,

So, I have recently upgraded to AMD FX-8350 processor. I used the original thermal compound that was supplied with the processor. However, my question is, http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9359/fx8350temps.png are these temps normal on idle? Note that this was built today, so the thermal paste hasn't gotten any time to set properly. It hasn't been OCed, it uses the original heatsink.

So, the question is, should I put some Arctic Silver paste or is the original one good? And also, what is the "temp safe zone" in the FX-8350 (max temp, before the CPU is damaged)? I am afraid that I will burn it, because I used the original paste, that was supplied with the heatsink. Can I still play games, even with the original thermal paste? (Note, I mainly play Battlefield 3, so the original thermal paste might not be good enough)


I would say, put pressure into the cooler and give it a gentle twist, you now what I mean, rotate is back and foward slowly... That's probably just the cooler not corretly in place... :) 
That should bring your temps down; If it doesn't then just buy a Hyper 212+, a good thermal paste and put it on, that's what I would do, the cooler is cheap and is awesome :D 
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 6:29:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely put Hyper 212+ behind my ear :) 
And my idle temps have dropped from 46 Celsius to 36-38 Celsius... I guess the thermal paste has finally started to settle in :D 
But that still leaves me one question: Temperature safe zone for FX-8350, before it starts to hurt the CPU.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 24, 2013 10:01:10 AM

Dezent777 said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely put Hyper 212+ behind my ear :) 
And my idle temps have dropped from 46 Celsius to 36-38 Celsius... I guess the thermal paste has finally started to settle in :D 
But that still leaves me one question: Temperature safe zone for FX-8350, before it starts to hurt the CPU.


With that CPU, I would aim for >40 idle and >80 under Prime95 load :) 
This doesn't mean you can't run it at 90... But... I wouldn't personally :) 
Share
February 24, 2013 10:34:36 AM

That cleared alot of things. Thank you so much :) 
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 10:35:24 AM

Best answer selected by Dezent777.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 10:28:01 AM

Just in case anyone out there is reading this for the same reason as me, to find good idle temps for an 8350... here's mine with hyper 212 evo with a blademaster fan as pull, 8350 ocd @ 4.4ghz idle temps 32c all day in ~68-72 Fahrenheit room voltage ranges from about 1-3.6v. Hope this helps someone, my case is lexa S with stock fans except an extra blademaster 140 on top, arctic silver 5 thermal paste ofc, thermaitake 120mm exhaust fan on case, and thats it. Mobo is sabertooth r2.0 990fx, guess I may as well put that too lol.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 11:55:24 AM

Still active, hmm? Well, the temp problem was cleared when we just threw the old heatsink away and bought a bigger case (Fractal R3) and mounted a H100i with MX-4 to keep it cooled :p  The idletemp (46C) is pretty much the temp I now get when CPU usage is around 70-80%, atleast during winter time (summer is here, so it is littlebit hotter than usual, but it is still better than the old heatsink... CPU socket would rise up to 70C and cores about 65C, all that, with window open and -30C outside O_O). If anyone is looking for a good cooling solution for FX-8350, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair Hydro Series and Hyper 212+ are all good. DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL. You have been warned.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 1:45:45 PM

I think there may be faults with some of the CPUs in the lineup because a friend of mine has an 8350 and his idle temperatures could be at 40c idle and overheating while playing games. Mine, on the other hand, sits idle at 11c and no more than 40 under load. It's a strange one. This is with the stock cooler and the paste already on the cooler.
m
0
l
June 20, 2013 11:11:34 PM

nathanoakes said:
I think there may be faults with some of the CPUs in the lineup because a friend of mine has an 8350 and his idle temperatures could be at 40c idle and overheating while playing games. Mine, on the other hand, sits idle at 11c and no more than 40 under load. It's a strange one. This is with the stock cooler and the paste already on the cooler.



I was gonna say the same thing, my lowest was 12c on hwmonitor with the 212hyper evo.

m
0
l
June 21, 2013 4:19:19 AM

DEZn00ts said:
nathanoakes said:
I think there may be faults with some of the CPUs in the lineup because a friend of mine has an 8350 and his idle temperatures could be at 40c idle and overheating while playing games. Mine, on the other hand, sits idle at 11c and no more than 40 under load. It's a strange one. This is with the stock cooler and the paste already on the cooler.



I was gonna say the same thing, my lowest was 12c on hwmonitor with the 212hyper evo.



Well i just decided to overclock and the idle temp only went up 5-6 degrees with a 500MHz increase in speed. Under load I've seen it go to 40 but still.
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 11:17:44 PM

bumping old thread --~

I just built my first PC, used an 8350 on a Crosshair Formula-Z board.

To those above reporting 10-12c degrees using OpenHardware Monitor, I am getting the same type of result (6c actually). But opening my mobo Software (AI Suite II), it reports 27.0c degrees. I haven't OC'd anything...yet.

I tend to think that it's probably more like 27. I'd love to hear a processor/cooling expert's opinion on this -- preferably one who runs an 8350
m
0
l
May 24, 2014 4:34:26 PM

To those getting temps below 20° C, that is because the way AMD measures temp is pretty inaccurate.

It would take excellent water cooling to have such low temps and even then not that low under load.

If you are on air I promise you won't be under 25° with an 8350.

From all the reading I've done it seems the average idle for an 8350 is between 30°-38° depending on your ambient temps and cooler.
m
1
l
July 4, 2014 1:14:50 AM

I'd say keep CPU it's self under 65c, and on the core below 55c to give you head room for weather change.
(2-3 years on chip, maybe a little more depending on usage)
I know their both rated at 70c on chip and 60c on core's.
( barely hitting 2 year's depending on usage )

(OCD Advise)
On my personal rig and what I'd say to customer's that come to me to build them a cheap 8 core rig is 55c on the chip and 40c on the core's for *4,6ghz average chip* 8 core state.
( 3 year's + on chip )
*Good chip then 4.7ghz remember to leave muiltypliyer at stock and always northbrige over-clock *
Have the fan's pointing out to the window of the room, Noctua do a much better thermal compound than the Arctic silver for the same price.
Also recommend their fan's, if you want 10 fan's, then get 4 brown or black one's and 6 gray (cheap one's).
leaving you with the space rubber's for the corner's, just drill hole's into the cheap fan's to save abit of wonga.

I'm currently using the NZXT X60 water loop with full tower case, Asus crosshair v formula z mobo, 12 fans with 850 gold PSU.
Overkill on 2x 4g 24000mhz Kingston hyper x beast's under-clocked to deal with the heat since its more of a air cooled PC If anything.

Only using (1) 650Ti,2 gig GPU, waiting for the price drop around January, witch will effect all card's before 780ti / 290x around 25-35% price drop.
I'd recommend Asus 760 rog striker if you can wait that long, then SLI before their hard to get hold of, (before 2016) or just pick up 750ti and once you upgrade in 2015-2016 maybe use that to build a small low powered media PC for the bedroom or living room.

Please excuse my spelling mistake's. XD
m
0
l
!