AMD FX-8350 Idle temp

G

Hello all,

So, I have recently upgraded to AMD FX-8350 processor. I used the original thermal compound that was supplied with the processor. However, my question is, http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9359/fx8350temps.png are these temps normal on idle? Note that this was built today, so the thermal paste hasn't gotten any time to set properly. It hasn't been OCed, it uses the original heatsink.

So, the question is, should I put some Arctic Silver paste or is the original one good? And also, what is the "temp safe zone" in the FX-8350 (max temp, before the CPU is damaged)? I am afraid that I will burn it, because I used the original paste, that was supplied with the heatsink. Can I still play games, even with the original thermal paste? (Note, I mainly play Battlefield 3, so the original thermal paste might not be good enough)

Solution

With that CPU, I would aim for >40 idle and >80 under Prime95 load :)
This doesn't mean you can't run it at 90... But... I wouldn't personally :)

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I would say, put pressure into the cooler and give it a gentle twist, you now what I mean, rotate is back and foward slowly... That's probably just the cooler not corretly in place... :)
That should bring your temps down; If it doesn't then just buy a Hyper 212+, a good thermal paste and put it on, that's what I would do, the cooler is cheap and is awesome :D

G

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely put Hyper 212+ behind my ear :)
And my idle temps have dropped from 46 Celsius to 36-38 Celsius... I guess the thermal paste has finally started to settle in :D
But that still leaves me one question: Temperature safe zone for FX-8350, before it starts to hurt the CPU.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

With that CPU, I would aim for >40 idle and >80 under Prime95 load :)
This doesn't mean you can't run it at 90... But... I wouldn't personally :)

Solution

sublimation7

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Just in case anyone out there is reading this for the same reason as me, to find good idle temps for an 8350... here's mine with hyper 212 evo with a blademaster fan as pull, 8350 ocd @ 4.4ghz idle temps 32c all day in ~68-72 Fahrenheit room voltage ranges from about 1-3.6v. Hope this helps someone, my case is lexa S with stock fans except an extra blademaster 140 on top, arctic silver 5 thermal paste ofc, thermaitake 120mm exhaust fan on case, and thats it. Mobo is sabertooth r2.0 990fx, guess I may as well put that too lol.

G

Still active, hmm? Well, the temp problem was cleared when we just threw the old heatsink away and bought a bigger case (Fractal R3) and mounted a H100i with MX-4 to keep it cooled :p The idletemp (46C) is pretty much the temp I now get when CPU usage is around 70-80%, atleast during winter time (summer is here, so it is littlebit hotter than usual, but it is still better than the old heatsink... CPU socket would rise up to 70C and cores about 65C, all that, with window open and -30C outside O_O). If anyone is looking for a good cooling solution for FX-8350, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair Hydro Series and Hyper 212+ are all good. DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL. You have been warned.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I think there may be faults with some of the CPUs in the lineup because a friend of mine has an 8350 and his idle temperatures could be at 40c idle and overheating while playing games. Mine, on the other hand, sits idle at 11c and no more than 40 under load. It's a strange one. This is with the stock cooler and the paste already on the cooler.

DEZn00ts

Honorable
May 8, 2013

I was gonna say the same thing, my lowest was 12c on hwmonitor with the 212hyper evo.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Well i just decided to overclock and the idle temp only went up 5-6 degrees with a 500MHz increase in speed. Under load I've seen it go to 40 but still.

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
bumping old thread --~

I just built my first PC, used an 8350 on a Crosshair Formula-Z board.

To those above reporting 10-12c degrees using OpenHardware Monitor, I am getting the same type of result (6c actually). But opening my mobo Software (AI Suite II), it reports 27.0c degrees. I haven't OC'd anything...yet.

I tend to think that it's probably more like 27. I'd love to hear a processor/cooling expert's opinion on this -- preferably one who runs an 8350

May 24, 2014
To those getting temps below 20° C, that is because the way AMD measures temp is pretty inaccurate.

It would take excellent water cooling to have such low temps and even then not that low under load.

If you are on air I promise you won't be under 25° with an 8350.

From all the reading I've done it seems the average idle for an 8350 is between 30°-38° depending on your ambient temps and cooler.

Idle temps when they are that low become inaccurate. Your CPU is not technically running at 8 degrees.

undeadkasper

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
All of this information is with Stock fan cooler included in the box.
The reason why you would see the CPU result in super low temps at idle is because some motherboards have the AMD cool & quiet feature which under clocks your CPU when not under any load. normally without this feature you will experience 25-30 idle and 50-60 while gaming.
Any higher than those temps and you might want to consider getting a better cooler so those long game sessions as well as gaming / multitasking doesn't decrease the life of your CPU due to consistent elevated temps.

also.. the stock cooler sucks & its noisy

-Jeff **15 years pc repair tech**

Cavemanking

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I got 8350 and water cooler 360. got 7 fan and clean no wire everywhere. And it a full tower gaming case. And I get 32c on Windows. case temp 26c.i haven't tried a game yet new build. Is that to hot for a water cooled system? all these post have worred now. And when I put it to sleep it shut down water cooling and case fan. is that normal? wouldn't that hibernation not sleep. win 10

Stop bumping into old threads. Is it really hard and tiresome to post a new thread?