Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading/Putting together the RIGHT equipment... Need serious HELP.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Components
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 12:20:03 AM

So I have a problem with a question and am in need of serious advice.

First, I feel like I know a lot about individual computer components and enough to throw together a system that has "worked" continuously under pressure BUT I feel like I am not understanding how all the components are coming together to give me an experience that I desire. So....

Problem:
My system (listed in my tag) doesn't FEEL responsive as it should. It works, fairly well but programs don't load as fluidically as I think they should (considering my components) and I still can't play Crysis on highest settings without lag.

Possible Solution: I think (emphasis on think) that my processor and chipset are not the best and that I should upgrade to something intel based?

Advice:
I have looked over the forums and have read about the Z77 vs. X79 and I am not sure which one I should go for. I see that there is only 3 expensive 2011 slot processors, is this the future of intel processors? Or will intel's next processors have 1155 slots or something completely new? Should I get a quad-channel chip set or is 2x dual-channel just as good? I don't mind spending some dough (even though I am not really wanting to spend $500+ on a new processor) and I would like something I can take into the future for a little while.

Am I just crazy? Is there anything easy I could change that would improve my setup? What do you all think?

Oh ya, Any thoughts on BenQ 2420TX for a monitor, is it really worth it?

OMG, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

More about : upgrading putting equipment

a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2012 12:31:32 AM

LGA 2011 is exclusively for the Sandy Bridge E chips, which are pretty much a waste of money for your typical gaming rig. If you want to change CPUs, an i5 3570k on a Z77 board is pretty much your best choice for gaming performance. Intel's next generation (Haswell) will be using a new socket type entirely.
October 11, 2012 2:37:27 AM

ckholt83 said:
LGA 2011 is exclusively for the Sandy Bridge E chips, which are pretty much a waste of money for your typical gaming rig. If you want to change CPUs, an i5 3570k on a Z77 board is pretty much your best choice for gaming performance. Intel's next generation (Haswell) will be using a new socket type entirely.

So the real question is, do we know when "Haswell" is coming out, do we have any idea if it is going to be superior?
October 11, 2012 2:50:20 AM

you have to post your sig info in the Forum Options tab, otherwise list it all
October 11, 2012 2:56:26 AM

xerxax said:
So I have a problem with a question and am in need of serious advice.

First, I feel like I know a lot about individual computer components and enough to throw together a system that has "worked" continuously under pressure BUT I feel like I am not understanding how all the components are coming together to give me an experience that I desire. So....

Problem:
My system (listed in my tag) doesn't FEEL responsive as it should. It works, fairly well but programs don't load as fluidically as I think they should (considering my components) and I still can't play Crysis on highest settings without lag.

Possible Solution: I think (emphasis on think) that my processor and chipset are not the best and that I should upgrade to something intel based?

Advice:
I have looked over the forums and have read about the Z77 vs. X79 and I am not sure which one I should go for. I see that there is only 3 expensive 2011 slot processors, is this the future of intel processors? Or will intel's next processors have 1155 slots or something completely new? Should I get a quad-channel chip set or is 2x dual-channel just as good? I don't mind spending some dough (even though I am not really wanting to spend $500+ on a new processor) and I would like something I can take into the future for a little while.

Am I just crazy? Is there anything easy I could change that would improve my setup? What do you all think?

Oh ya, Any thoughts on BenQ 2420TX for a monitor, is it really worth it?

OMG, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Yeah I would say that you should run Crysis highest settings no problem. I'm running a 7870 just fine. Maybe it's the CPU? I have a 3570k
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2012 3:56:50 AM

Haswell will probably be coming out around the middle of next year some time. It will undoubtedly be superior, but that is always the way of technology. :) 
October 11, 2012 4:13:49 AM

cbag said:
Yeah I would say that you should run Crysis highest settings no problem. I'm running a 7870 just fine. Maybe it's the CPU? I have a 3570k

I agree that it should run well (at least I thought so) so I'm also thinking its the cpu.

@ckholt83 Ya, technology is always getting better, well maybe I will go with a good z77 bored and a higher (but not highest) i5 or i7.

What do you think, 2700,2600?
October 11, 2012 4:48:09 AM

xerxax said:
I agree that it should run well (at least I thought so) so I'm also thinking its the cpu.

@ckholt83 Ya, technology is always getting better, well maybe I will go with a good z77 bored and a higher (but not highest) i5 or i7.

What do you think, 2700,2600?

check out this benchmark http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-10...

it looks like x4 965 @ 3.4ghz is fast enough man. The game was not CPU bound. I'm not sure that it is your CPU. One more thought, how are your temps? Is it possible that when you are running crysis that your temps are getting too hot and your CPU and/or GPU are throttling (slowing themselves down) to help reduce heat?
!