Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[HELP] Awesome $1,500 PC Build I want to CUT cost to about $1,200

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 11, 2012 12:33:17 AM

Here is my current build including a monitor (which is essential): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jY3H

I will be using my computer for mostly gaming. Currently, I only play Starcraft 2 but that is mainly because I have a crappy laptop with an integrated video card :pfff:  However, I would like to be able to play games like CIV 5, The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, Etc. (large variety but all demanding). I would like to avoid any upgrading for awhile after this build. If there are weaknesses in this build you think I need to upgrade please let me know! But, I would ideally like to cut the cost as much as possible!

My own Ideas:

1. Downgrade my CPU to an i5 instead of an i7. Again, this was more thinking about the future. I've already been told by most that the i7 is not neccessary if I will just be using it for gaming. However, I was told by my friend who is knowledgeable that CPU power is just as important as GPU power. I was wondering what others thought

2. Change my video card to a GTX 670 2GB. However, I was thinking the Radeon HD 7970 GHZ edition 3GB would be more future proof. Also, it seems like I am getting this video card at a good price.

3. Cut-down on my memory. Not sure what I should get instead.

4. Get an even CHEAPER case, but it's already pretty cheap. If anything I should probably upgrade it.

ANY HELP IS GREAAAAATLY APPRECIATED!!!! AGAIN IF YOU SEE ANYTHING I SHOULD UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHY AND TO WHAT! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

THANKS!

Best solution

October 11, 2012 12:48:53 AM
Share

Look, my advice might not be the best as I am still in the process of building my first computer. I've only just begun ordering parts. Here are some things I do know from asking questions of here.

1. The i7 will really only make a large difference if you plan on editing videos, using CAD programs and things of that nature. The i5-3570k will suit your needs just fine.

2. 16gb of RAM is pretty overkill for gaming. 8gb will be more than enough. Remember if you feel the need to you can always add more later.

3. If you don't plan on overclocking then the stock CPU cooler will suit your needs just fine. If you do plan on OCing get a "k" CPU as that is what they are meant for and be sure to get an after market CPU cooler.

4. A GTX 670 2gb will work perfectly fine for the games you wish to play. If you want to future proof you can always buy a SLI capable mobo and by a second 670 at a later date when you have more money available.

5. A slightly cheaper and pretty damn reliable case is the Cooler Master HAF 912. You really can't go wrong there. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is my advice and I hope I haven't embarrassed myself by being totally wrong :) 
October 11, 2012 12:52:35 AM

jackw428 said:
Look, my advice might not be the best as I am still in the process of building my first computer. I've only just begun ordering parts. Here are some things I do know from asking questions of here.

1. The i7 will really only make a large difference if you plan on editing videos, using CAD programs and things of that nature. The i5-3570k will suit your needs just fine.

2. 16gb of RAM is pretty overkill for gaming. 8gb will be more than enough. Remember if you feel the need to you can always add more later.

3. If you don't plan on overclocking then the stock CPU cooler will suit your needs just fine. If you do plan on OCing get a "k" CPU as that is what they are meant for and be sure to get an after market CPU.

4. A GTX 670 2gb will work perfectly fine for the games you wish to play. If you want to future proof you can always buy a SLI capable mobo and by a second 670 at a later date when you have more money available.

5. A slightly cheaper and pretty damn reliable case is the Cooler Master HAF 912. You really can't go wrong there. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is my advice and I hope I haven't embarrassed myself by being totally wrong :) 



Good advice. I've received the advice you gave me from 1 and 4. I am still on the fence because I have received conflicting advice. I've heard games are becoming more CPU intensive and less GPU intesnive but that doesn't mean much too me. THANKS! I will look further into your advice!
Related resources
October 11, 2012 12:58:51 AM

You're $300 over budget. Some sacrifices are going to have to be made. Either that or don't buy now. Save up until you can afford a $1500 system.

Easiest downgrade I can see is the memory. You don't need 16GB of DDR3-2400. Just go with 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. Something like this Corsair XMS3 8GB kit for $38 and save $110

Secondly, yes. Drop down to a Core I5 3570K processor to save another $60.

Finally, don't go for as much of an over-clock (initially) and pass on the third party CPU cooler for $28 in savings.

That's almost $200 in savings. The other $100 is going to have to come off of the graphics card. In other words, go with the GTX670.

-Wolf sends
October 11, 2012 1:01:51 AM

Wolfshadw said:
You're $300 over budget. Some sacrifices are going to have to be made. Either that or don't buy now. Save up until you can afford a $1500 system.

Easiest downgrade I can see is the memory. You don't need 16GB of DDR3-2400. Just go with 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. Something like this Corsair XMS3 8GB kit for $38 and save $110

Secondly, yes. Drop down to a Core I5 3570K processor to save another $60.

Finally, don't go for as much of an over-clock (initially) and pass on the third party CPU cooler for $28 in savings.

That's almost $200 in savings. The other $100 is going to have to come off of the graphics card. In other words, go with the GTX670.

-Wolf sends


I mean I CAN spend the $1,500 if it is worth it. But, I'd rather not waste money. If I am not significantly downgrading by making these changes I certainly will. Do you prefer the 670 over the 7970? Is the i7 a complete waste, or will it be useful in the future? Like I said, if I won't be downgrading that much I will make those changes for sure, but if they are worth them to keep I may.
October 11, 2012 1:02:27 AM

If you need to get to $1,200 I would cut the RAM to 8 GB because that is more than enough for gaming and cut the GPU to a 7950 if you want to keep the i7. Also look at a different case. For $50 you can get the Cooler Master HAF 912 or the Rosewill Challenger. Both are great cases. Also you can get the i5 2500K for cheap now (it overclocks and games like a champ) and keep the 7970. I'd rather have a better GPU than CPU for gaming and in addition the i5 2500k will not bottleneck with a 7970.
October 11, 2012 1:11:01 AM

Wolfshadw said:
You're $300 over budget. Some sacrifices are going to have to be made. Either that or don't buy now. Save up until you can afford a $1500 system.

Easiest downgrade I can see is the memory. You don't need 16GB of DDR3-2400. Just go with 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. Something like this Corsair XMS3 8GB kit for $38 and save $110

Secondly, yes. Drop down to a Core I5 3570K processor to save another $60.

Finally, don't go for as much of an over-clock (initially) and pass on the third party CPU cooler for $28 in savings.

That's almost $200 in savings. The other $100 is going to have to come off of the graphics card. In other words, go with the GTX670.

-Wolf sends



Good catch! I did not look hard enough at his RAM to realize he was looking at the DDR3-2400. You are correct! Go with 8GB like I posted but of DDR3-1600. Also I forgot about the i5-3570K but the i5-2500k is still a good option at around $215.
October 11, 2012 4:11:17 AM

beegeepee said:
I mean I CAN spend the $1,500 if it is worth it. But, I'd rather not waste money. If I am not significantly downgrading by making these changes I certainly will. Do you prefer the 670 over the 7970? Is the i7 a complete waste, or will it be useful in the future? Like I said, if I won't be downgrading that much I will make those changes for sure, but if they are worth them to keep I may.


While I'd still make the CPU and RAM changes, the graphics card is up to you. I don't particularly care for spending more than $300 on a graphics card, so both cards are out of my league. At this point, it's entirely up to you and how much you want to spend.

-Wolf sends
October 20, 2012 11:57:33 PM

Best answer selected by beegeepee.
!