Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading 6600GT, $150 budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 2:25:40 PM

Some advice please. I've looked at the "Best Graphics Cards For The Money" pages, and the pages start by stating that they are aimed at Gamers. I have never played and will never play a game in my life, so the opinions there are not so relevant.

So I'd appreciate any help on my simple(ish) requirements to see if I can extened the life of a stand-alone old PC I use only for photography

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE:£100 ish ($150) Max After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop, Lightroom, ProShow Producer, Adobe Premiere Elements, Office, IE browsing. The PC will NEVER be used for gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:nvidia geForce 6600GT 650W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU AMD AM2 3.02GHz MOBO Asus M2N4-SLI Memory 4Gb Vista Home Premium

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Amazon UK

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:UK

PARTS PREFERENCES:No preferences

OVERCLOCKING:No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Maybe SLI, but presumably twice the price, so ideally Not.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920 x 1200 & 1280 & 1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

This is for an old PC used as a stand alone for photo work. It is adequate currently, but slow, and I cannot justify a new PC as my main family one was recently replaced. Photodex, the manufacturers of ProShow Producer

http://kb.photodex.com/203/what-are-the-system-requirem... [/url" target="_blank">

suggest as "Recommended graphics"

•Accelerated 3D graphics – 512MB ram or higher" as it uses GPU acceleration.

In Jan this year they suggested to a user

" .... a modern mid-level card will give you buttery-smooth playback of almost any show you throw at it. On top of that, the framerate within ProShow is capped at your monitor's refresh rate (usually 60hz, and therefore capped at 60fps), so a gaming-level card probably won't really give you any benefit. I think you'll find the combination of a Core i7 and a Radeon 6770 to be pretty awesome when it comes to GPU acceleration. ....."

I don't have Core i7, so not sure if Radeon 6770 would be relevant/suitable. I'm quite happy building PC's, but I've never really understood thye complex world of Graphics.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 3:39:24 PM

6670/6770 is good choice. A 7750 is a good choice also and doesn't require a pci-e power connector and only uses 43w.
a c 165 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 4:24:28 PM

@ Colmc: Geekapproved makes a good set of recommedations, anything more powerful is into mid-range gaming terratory, I'd say the 7750 is probably the best for your needs.
A few other places to shop: Dabs, Misco, Scan, Overclockers, Pixmania, Ebuyer Eclipse Computers and Aria...Amongst others ;)  .
Do n't pay more for overclocked cards but look at the cooler: A quiet cooler makes the system so much more pleasant to use.
Look to pay around £90-100.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 4:46:31 PM

having a more powerful GPU isn't just necessary for gaming... GPU accelerated rendering can speed up photoshop a lot... My computer out performs my friends by a sizable margin because i got a mid/high end GPU as opposed to his low end GPU...
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 5:00:44 PM

If you want to stay on the Nvidia train, get a GTX560 for 130$ after rebates.
a c 91 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:15:53 PM

this an old AGP card ?
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:21:07 PM

Best card for your budget:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-radeon-hd-7770-4...

Note: this card requires one 6-pin power connector from your power supply unit. Since your computer is so old, I'm afraid it will not have the connector. Then, the next best card which doesn't require 6-pin connector is HD 7750:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gigabyte-radeon-hd-7...

At other people: notice he's from UK so he cannot buy from newegg.

swifty_morgan said:
this an old AGP card ?

No, that is an old SLI motherboard with two PCIe slots.
August 18, 2012 6:26:31 PM

Wow

Thanks for all the feedback, and so promptly too. Really appreciated.

I'll read it all tomorrow (out tonight) and let you know my thoughts.

Thanks again to everyone

Colin
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:34:09 PM

^
No he can't. He's not from US.
August 19, 2012 4:52:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

I've ordered an Asus AMD Radeon HD 7750

Many thanks to all who too the time and effort to comment

Colin
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 5:46:45 PM

Glad you finally made your purchase :) .
!