DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hello,
I purchased a brand new Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB card not a week ago and installed it yesterday. I had issues at first with the card not registering and the display not showing up at all, but fixed it with a BIOS update to the motherboard, the card worked fine afterwards. I wasn't able to really test the card as I work night shift and was only able to play a bit of Team Fortress 2, which ran extremely smooth compared to my previous computer running a GT 430. I got home from work and loaded up Alice: Madness Returns which, again, ran worlds better than on the previous computer. Then after about 15 or 20 minutes of gameplay (if you can call it that, it's more just walking around a house) there were two tears in the screen colored red, green and blue then a black screen. Finally the monitor stopped receiving data and went into sleep mode. I restarted the computer and it loaded up to the windows login screen and I logged in, then the same thing happened. Frustrated and tired, I shut the entire thing down and went to sleep. This morning I attempted to start again, this time entering safe mode, however windows would begin to load it's system files then those same two tears, gray this time, appeared and black went the screen again. I opened the case and checked the card and it seems to be receiving power as the fan turns on and did not feel overheated. I removed the card and loaded the computer with onboard graphics which brings me to here. Is this a common occurance with Sapphire cards, or Radeons in general? Or could something else be affecting it?

Specs:
Dell Inspiron i570 AMD motherboard
Athlon II X2 2.9Ghz CPU
4GB Corsair RAM (2x2GB), 2GB Samsung RAM (2x1GB) 6GB total
XFX Pro 750W Semi-Modular PSU
Samsung 600GB HDD

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Okay tried it on my friends computer which is, suffice to say, leaps and bounds ahead of mine and it did the same thing. Already filed a return and getting a replacement from Amazon. 2nd time's the charm