Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX285, Enough power?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 2:38:06 PM

Ok.

Hi guys/girls.

I have an XFXGTX285 1GB GDDR3 Graphics card which has been causing me nothing but trouble. The card is second hand so i cannot RMA the card. My question is, is it getting enough power? I have a thermaltake toughpower 650w however i am not sure if it has a 20a 12v rail. I do not know how to read all the power thingy's on the PSU as i dont understand it to well.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1207&ID=15...

Could someplease goto this link and check the specification tab for me to double check because i think the 12v rail is only 18a. I think this could be causing my BSOD's and freezing and what not? Also it said that it supports dual core??????? i am running quad so could this also be an issue? Thank you very much people for help :) 

More about : gtx285 power

August 18, 2012 2:57:11 PM

Also my i am running Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz if that helps
Score
August 18, 2012 4:54:15 PM

bump, need answers please
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 5:02:01 PM

That PSu has 4 +12v rails 2 18a each, which is more than enough for a single gtx 285. Having a quad core cpu isn't an issue either.
Score
August 18, 2012 5:27:22 PM

that psu is more than whats needed for even an Oced 285. The BSOD's and freezing means your cards getting overheated. If its Oced turn down the oc, and get some cooling into your case. 80 mm's are good enough fans. Or if its 2nd hand, it might have been a little damaged by the previous owner. We cant know for sure what the problem is, but try getting temps into control by adding cooling in your case. and turn down oc, if possible go underclocking anc check if still getting bsod. If the cooling and underclocking solves the problem, thats it, other wise cards damaged.

Also getting BSOD, and freezing doesnt necessarily mean its your card at fault. BSOD means windows found a fault in the hardware, that can be anything, not only your gpu.
Score
August 19, 2012 11:58:09 AM

KidBuu said:
that psu is more than whats needed for even an Oced 285. The BSOD's and freezing means your cards getting overheated. If its Oced turn down the oc, and get some cooling into your case. 80 mm's are good enough fans. Or if its 2nd hand, it might have been a little damaged by the previous owner. We cant know for sure what the problem is, but try getting temps into control by adding cooling in your case. and turn down oc, if possible go underclocking anc check if still getting bsod. If the cooling and underclocking solves the problem, thats it, other wise cards damaged.

Also getting BSOD, and freezing doesnt necessarily mean its your card at fault. BSOD means windows found a fault in the hardware, that can be anything, not only your gpu.

Hi thanks for the answer. I have a antec kuhler h20 920 keeping my cpu well under recommended temps. 39c idle, 59c full load. EVGA precisionX tells me my card is running at 44c idle and never goes above 60c while gaming. I installed XP a few hours ago which seem to have stopped the BSOD's however it just randomy freezes like it just did 10 mins ago or my screen goes black for a few mins causing a restart. I have to force shutdown my system to recover from the freezing. Im just wondering if my card faulty? could a faulty video cause all this havok? thanks again
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:02:57 PM

i suggest upgrade it to win 7 insist of xp many driver of nvidia right now much capable to win7 insist of xp use 304.79 drivers of nividia
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:09:48 PM

and what s the idle temp of gtx 285 + what the load temp please notify us and make sure if the dust occurs on fan or heatsink clean it i think second hand must have dust on it
Score
August 19, 2012 2:29:00 PM

monu_08 said:
i suggest upgrade it to win 7 insist of xp many driver of nvidia right now much capable to win7 insist of xp use 304.79 drivers of nividia

I had more problems with windows 7. i managed to slightly cut down on the BSOD's by downclocking the card, downclocking from the original clock that is. I have a feeling my GPU could be faulty. And temps are 45c idle, never goes above 60c with the gpu as i turn the fan up aboyt 50% while gaming
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 5:46:17 AM

if its working fine in playing games no hang at all that means ur gpu is working fine but if if its hang while u playing games then it may be ur card most of xfx cards are faulty not xfx evga msi also experience me most of them faulty i suggest replace it
or buy new one asus sapphire his zotac is the best company for making gpu now days
Score
August 20, 2012 3:20:44 PM

monu_08 said:
if its working fine in playing games no hang at all that means ur gpu is working fine but if if its hang while u playing games then it may be ur card most of xfx cards are faulty not xfx evga msi also experience me most of them faulty i suggest replace it
or buy new one asus sapphire his zotac is the best company for making gpu now days

Thanks for the reply. Yes the system does hang sometimes. I was playing crysis right after i installed it, but when i loaded it up today it just crashes. I have artifacts all over my screen in windows. wierd looking triangle artifacts. The PC sometimes get a black screen for a few seconds then it reboots like nothing happened. So im confused lol. Could you recommend me a good card to pair with my Q6600 @ 3.2ghz and dual channel x2 2gb ddr2 800mhz
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:10:14 PM

wonder44 said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes the system does hang sometimes. I was playing crysis right after i installed it, but when i loaded it up today it just crashes. I have artifacts all over my screen in windows. wierd looking triangle artifacts. The PC sometimes get a black screen for a few seconds then it reboots like nothing happened. So im confused lol. Could you recommend me a good card to pair with my Q6600 @ 3.2ghz and dual channel x2 2gb ddr2 800mhz

what is ur budget
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:14:37 PM

ok right now if u clean it off gpu and remove all dust
replace new thermal paste
sometimes this would help a lot
Score
August 20, 2012 4:35:48 PM

monu_08 said:
ok right now if u clean it off gpu and remove all dust
replace new thermal paste
sometimes this would help a lot

My budget will be 300$ NZD. Would standard CPU thermal compound be fine for this? or is there some sort of sprecial thermal required for GPU's? 1 thing i should point out is on the underside of the GPU where my DIV outports are, there seems to be some slight green/blue-ish corrosion! im not sure what it is but is this a common thing? have you ever seen this before. Sorry for so many questions however i appreciate your help
Score
August 20, 2012 4:38:02 PM

DVI sorry
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:43:38 PM

yes u can if dvi get corrosion it depicts some screen just like that
http://mfccfl.us/temp/artifact1.jpg
now 1st of all clean the gpu dust from fan and heatsink
then u need 70% alchol to clean te old thermal paste and yes cpu thermal or gpu thermal paste they used to same for applied then take a cotton dip it into alchol on dvi port have corrosion clean it up this would help
Score

Best solution

August 20, 2012 8:54:40 PM

monu_08 said:
if u need help check these one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Zgse9xj18&feature=rela...

I think the card is faulty :/  i am looking at getting a GTX560 for now. Thank you for your help much appreciated :) 
August 20, 2012 8:55:43 PM

i will select you as best answer when it stops taking me to the top of the screen lol
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 9:10:03 PM

Best answer selected by Mousemonkey.
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 9:10:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!