Question about i7 3770k

Question is: Does the i7 3770k's APU, multiply the performance of a GPU?

This guy on craigslist is selling a used pc for $425. The system comes with
i7 3770k
8 gigs of ram
radeon HD 5770
with all the other necessities except for a hard drive.

(good deal right? :p )

I asked the guy how the system runs newer games, and he replied saying that since the i7 comes with a built in APU the graphics card is boosted to triple the performance. Meaning that this older GPU can keep up with modern games pretty well.

Im not one for techy jargon so I was hoping someone could provide some context on whether or not this is accurate.
5 answers Last reply
More about question 3770k
  1. ericksnetwork said:
    Question is: Does the i7 3770k's APU, multiply the performance of a GPU?

    This guy on craigslist is selling a used pc for $425. The system comes with
    i7 3770k
    8 gigs of ram
    radeon HD 5770
    with all the other necessities except for a hard drive.

    (good deal right? :p )

    I asked the guy how the system runs newer games, and he replied saying that since the i7 comes with a built in APU the graphics card is boosted to triple the performance. Meaning that this older GPU can keep up with modern games pretty well.

    Im not one for techy jargon so I was hoping someone could provide some context on whether or not this is accurate.


    WoooW, that's just bullsh*t... Sorry :o
    The i7-3770k is a great CPU, awesome actually but... What?? APU? Triple the performance? hahaha. APU is an AMD only branding what the i7 has is onboard graphics but they are kinda bad, they just aren't made for games...
    The graphics card included isn't very good either... But since the PC comes with the CPU 400$ might ot be that bad... :s It's your bet :)
  2. AirSKiller said:
    WoooW, that's just bullsh*t... Sorry :o
    The i7-3770k is a great CPU, awesome actually but... What?? APU? Triple the performance? hahaha. APU is an AMD only branding what the i7 has is onboard graphics but they are kinda bad, they just aren't made for games...
    The graphics card included isn't very good either... But since the PC comes with the CPU 400$ might ot be that bad... :s It's your bet :)


    So what your saying is that the CPU wont be aiding the GPU in any way?

    How well do you think this rig could play newer games? D3? Starcraft? CS:GO? I dont need high end graphics but I dont want to be setting everything to low settings either...
  3. I think the craiglist guy is talking about Lucid's Virtu technology. Some gigabyte mobo's have that I think. It can pair (actually sync and allow switching between) the IGP to the discrete GPU although it results in performance drop and not boost: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4199/lucids-virtu-enables-simultaneous-integrateddiscrete-gpu-on-sandy-bridge-platforms
    that is what airskiller's suggesting too.

    As for the games you want to play, you'd be able to get to medium settings in those games.

    The price for which it's available though, it's quiet a good deal. Do check which mobo is being offered.
  4. satyamdubey said:
    I think the craiglist guy is talking about Lucid's Virtu technology. Some gigabyte mobo's have that I think. It can pair (actually sync and allow switching between) the IGP to the discrete GPU although it results in performance drop and not boost: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4199/lucids-virtu-enables-simultaneous-integrateddiscrete-gpu-on-sandy-bridge-platforms
    that is what airskiller's suggesting too.

    As for the games you want to play, you'd be able to get to medium settings in those games.

    The price for which it's available though, it's quiet a good deal. Do check which mobo is being offered.


    Agree... But Virtu works really really bad :s And even if it worked well... Triple the performance? No way with HD 4000 graphics xD
    Though the deal might still be good... As you said
  5. for that price is good!3770k is very powerful but what you said about triple performance is just wrong man!
    well the graphics card is not the best one!if there was a 5870 then yes!but now you can find better offers i think!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i7 GPUs