• CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Battlefield
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 5:18:28 PM

So I have the i5 3570k. When I play BF3, I hit about 90% usage. I know that turboboost is enabled, but would it lower my cpu usage if I turned turboboost off and then overclocked to the 3.8 it hits when using turbo?

More about : turboboost overclocking

a c 178 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 8:02:13 PM

Not to familiar with intel, but i think turbo boost just increases clock speed for a small period of time, for better performance, so i think it'd jump from 3.4 to 3.8, so yes it would be better to overclock and stay at a constant 3.8, but u can prob reach 4.0ghz no prob.

* Dont overclock with stock cooling! lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 8:16:50 PM

You can adjust turbo so that it will turbo all 4 cores to 3.8 and keep them there and then drop back to 3.4 when not at load so you can get the best of both worlds. This will tend to have voltages slightly higher than just a pure 3.8 constant OC since you leave voltages at auto
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 9:16:58 PM

lazyboy947 said:
Not to familiar with intel, but i think turbo boost just increases clock speed for a small period of time, for better performance, so i think it'd jump from 3.4 to 3.8, so yes it would be better to overclock and stay at a constant 3.8, but u can prob reach 4.0ghz no prob.

* Dont overclock with stock cooling! lol

I'm getting an H60 so that should be enough for cooling. How much difference do you think I'll see in game for CPU usage?
m
l
a c 178 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 9:48:09 PM

whats ur gpu? u can overclock all u want but if the gpu cant go any farther then no point in overclocking, reason y i dont lol but i paid $80 for both my gpus lol But going to 4ghz would prob decrease ur cpu usage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 10:44:57 PM

Modern intel overclocking isn't a static clock rate, it's basically just user-defined turbo settings with adjusted voltage offsets to support the speed bump. Under a h60 i'd have absolutely no qualms about just sticking the max turbo up 44x for all cores & it should do that well within intel voltage spec.
As for effect in-game, that'll depend on the specific game & the gpu horsepower you have combined with it. For the average FPS i don't really notice the extra speed, but for endgame civ5, the extra speed is appreciated.
m
l
February 23, 2013 10:45:01 PM

turbo boost overclocks a bit, maybe a max of 600mhz (. 6 ghz) and is either when only one core is being use a lot or all 4 are maxing out. overclock is a constant high clock and you can clock it as high as your psu or heatsink can handle.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 10:55:29 PM

sounds like someone's still stuck back in ye olde overclocking days. this is how it works now: http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-br... manipulating turbo is overclocking. there's no point running a cpu flat out @ max speed 24/7, chewing up tons of power & killing it's lifespan. sandy/ivy oc'ing using turbo w/ all the power saving stuff enabled is very easy & effective.
m
l
!