About ready to build my first pc... need help <3

Tags:
  • Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 1:11:55 AM

Hey everyone, I've been doing hours and hours of research and watching videos and I think I'm going to take the plunge and try to build my first ever pc. Sorry ahead of time for the wall of text lol.

First off I'd like to state my main concern. I live in a small/medium size room,along with two cats who never leave my room. Therefore there is usually some cat hair and dust floating around. So I'm guessing I need a case with good airflow to keep the cat hair from dropping in the bottom of the case and sitting there. Also I need a case that is pretty easy to open for cleaning but yet is appealing to me. ( I'm a girl so I like the somewhat cheesy led fans lol.) Prefer a case that has removable filters too if possible. This case is the most important part to me,I really hope I can find something I like that has all or most of these options. Here are the ones I found aesthetically appealing. (however im unsure of airflow and other things)

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom 410

NZXT Guardian 921 RB

COUGAR Evolution-W

I could be persuated pehaps on others as long as they are nice looking :)  (I'm sure I can add LED fan's to every case)

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: 50/50 chance of being this weekend. If I'm positive about the build,then I will order it this weekend otherwise I'll definitely order it next weekend.

Budget Range: $1400-$1500 after rebates,after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming,gaming,websurfing including youtube often. (mostly will be playing wow,guildwars 2,counterstrike)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I can wait for parts from other websites besides newegg as long as they are reputable sites that don't scam people. (unless the time frame to get them all is a significant difference,then I'd go with newegg only.) And if I only save like $15-$20 by ordering from 3+ different websites,then I'd rather go all newegg.

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu and 7k series gpu

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Im not sure what this is. I believe crossfire has something to do with 2 graphic cards? If so,I only need 1.

Your Monitor Resolution: Unsure

Additional Comments: I would like a ssd. Also I need a psu that would allow me to overclock in the future once I learn how. (mild o/c) The monitor I would prefer to be around 26-27". If theirs nothing of good quality for around $200-250 then I suppose I'd go down to 24"

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: 10 year old computer finally broke. After never opening it up even once and cleaning it lol :) 

Thanks so much ahead of time guys. It would mean alot to me to finally have a nice computer.

Also,if I don't want a wireless card built into it right away,is that something that can be added later on? (I dont want an external one)

I'm willing to go about $40 over my budget for extra fans if needed also.

More about : ready build

October 11, 2012 1:29:29 AM

A wireless card can always be added in the future. For your budget, I'd get an i5-3570K, AMD 7950, and 8GB of 1600 RAM. If you are overclocking, the Hyper 212 EVO is a fantastic CPU cooler. The CoolerMaster Sickleflows are are really good LED fans. For your SSD, get a 128GB (or 256GB if you really want) Crucial M4 or Samsung 830.
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:30:44 AM

For case, it's down between the 500R and Phantom. The Phantom looks better IMHO, but the 500R is a bit more functional.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2012 1:32:04 AM

This is very doable and it looks like you have a good head start on knowing what you want, the details you have provided are very helpful. I will start putting a build list together and get back to you.

For the dust/cat hair problem, I think you'll want to set up your case with a positive pressure system (more intake than exhaust) so that air is trying to escape through passive venting / cracks instead of getting pulled in, and then have filters over all the intakes.

And yes, crossfire/SLI means taking 2+ identical video cards and essentially lashing them together for more output. I generally suggest just spending the money on a single, better card.

A wireless card can definitely be added after the fact, and would be a very simple install. :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:37:53 AM

I really like the Corsair 500R. I've used a case very similar to it before and I loved it. Every time I looked at it I got a good feeling xD. It has good air flow and such too .
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:43:31 AM

You guys are making me feel alot more confident about doing this already lol. Its a little overwhelming but hearing that I haven't said anything completely dumb yet gives me confidence lol.

And yea,if I can get a couple builds so I have something to go off of,that would be great :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:09:40 AM

Okay, here's a preliminary build using the Carbide 500R, which I also happen to like the look of ;) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.93 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: HP 2711x 27.0" Monitor ($278.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1498.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This comes out to $1498 if you have the option of picking up the CPU from a Microcenter locally. This is also using a GHz Edition 7970 however, so you could easily shave off a good chunk of change by downgrading the GPU, I mostly just wanted to see if it could be done. :) 

As for monitor, I picked out the one that I am currently using and love, but this also warrants looking at: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AOC-i2757fh-IPS-border...

I just noticed the bestbuy link inside the article is dead, so adding a working one here. Unfortunately it looks like the extra $30 off promotion is over and it's up to $300, but that's still pretty cheap for an IPS panel.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:15:26 AM

Build looks solid imo. (take that with a grain of salt lol)

I guessed on a good setup from looking at what people been suggesting to people and it was almost identical besides the monitor,ram,and video card.(because I didnt think i could afford the 7970 xD)

That monitor you posted a link to looks great. I would love to pick it up if its available still and it has good reviews. I would like to see it in person but I dont live near a best buy really so I think I'm going to look at youtube to get a general feel for it. I didn't want to spend that much on a monitor but if it really reallly nice looking then I wouldn't mind.

Question, how exactly does that work having both an ssd and a hdd? Does my computer choose when to use the ssd and always just save everything to the hdd? Sorry this is all new to me still.

Oh and I forgot, I would prefer a modular psu =/ I really want to make sure I have good airflow and since this will be my first time building a pc,the easier the cable management the better imo.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:16:39 AM

Don't be worried about putting it together - it's easier than fixing a bicycle.

The only people who think it takes a genius to do it are the ones who can't be bothered to learn something new.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:26:33 AM

If you have those cats, you want something with built in filters.
Most expensive cases have them in there already, but be sure you get one with a built in filter.
Get an i5 3570k, 7950, only 8 gigs of ram is required to run every game known to man, but more helps, I would aim for 16 gig's of RAM (2x8gb), 1600.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:29:35 AM

Yeah, I just noticed the monitor article link was broken after I posted it and edited mine with a working one.

As for the HDD/SSD pair, the typical arrangement is to have each one as a separate logical volume (SSD would be C:\ and HDD would be D:\ for example) and you would choose to install your OS and your critical apps games onto the SSD/C: drive, and then save the rest of your data (music, movies, non-critical apps) onto the secondary HDD/D: drive. It takes a bit of micro management on your part because you have to choose which apps get installed where, and you have to watch your C: drive disk space to make sure you don't run out. If you wanted to spend a bit less on the video card, you could upgrade to a larger (say, 240/256GB) SSD to alleviate some of that headache and give you more room to work with.

The other option would be to set up a smaller SSD (64GB max I believe) as a cache drive using Intel's SRT or Dataplex software included with something like the Crucial Adrenaline. This would make the SSD invisible to you, all your data would get saved to the HDD, and the software would just watch your usage patterns to dynamically load the most commonly accessed files onto the faster SSD. The tradeoff here is that the performance with a cache drive isn't as good as a pure SSD, but it removes the micromanaging aspect so that you don't have to determine which programs go where.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:37:04 AM

I don't mind micro managing somewhat.(I would just need someone to explain to me how that works.Like everytime I install a game or something will it ask me where I want to store it to?) However I wouldn't mind down grading from the 7970 to the 7950 if someone could tell me if there's any real differences between them. Also if the price is only like $20 more then no big deal.

Oh and I just checked the website that had the 7970 for 413,it says they are on back order and it will be shipped when they get more in =/ Anyone know how long that usually takes?
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:47:54 AM

taylorswift said:
Like everytime I install a game or something will it ask me where I want to store it to?)

That is pretty much exactly it. Any time you install a program of any kind, it should give you the option of choosing the location/drive to install it to. So you would just pick between your primary and secondary drive depending on how quickly you want it to load. In the case of Steam games, as far as I know you would just need to install Steam itself onto your SSD and it then holds all of the game files in subdirectories. I'm not sure that there's a way to have Steam differentiate locations between different games, so you might just have to keep your library trimmed to whatever will fit. I just did a build for a friend using a 120GB SSD, and Windows + WoW alone took up about 60GB.

taylorswift said:
However I wouldn't mind down grading from the 7970 to the 7950 if someone could tell me if there's any real differences between them. Also if the price is only like $20 more then no big deal.

The 7970 is a better card, but the 7950 would be perfectly adequate for running the games you play at pretty much the highest quality settings possible on a single monitor. The 7970 would just be futureproofing yourself against other games you might want to play (years) in the future that are potentially more demanding. The cost difference would be ~$100 between them.

Here's an alternate build with a modular PSU. The wattage should still be plenty for this build. I also swapped the 7970 for the 7950 and traded in a larger SSD so you can compare the difference in costs.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.83 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($274.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1488.66
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:49:30 AM

I just did some research and I believe I read that the 7970 actually pushes the air out of the case but the 7950 actually releases the air inside the case... So I think the 7970 would help me more with my cat hair issue?

I'm thinking that I'd rather"future proof" my gpu a bit by getting the 7970,and later on selling the 128gb ssd and upgrading to a 256gb one.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:56:25 AM

taylorswift said:
I just did some research and I believe I read that the 7970 actually pushes the air out of the case but the 7950 actually releases the air inside the case... So I think the 7970 would help me more with my cat hair issue?

The type of fans on the card varies by manufacturer and model, you should be able to find both types of coolers for both GPUs, there are tons of variants. In either instance, the air will need to be exhausted outside of the case, one system (the internal exhaust) just requires that your case have good airflow in general, which it does. The ones that exhaust internally are often quieter and frequently keep the cards cooler. Either option is perfectly viable though, you should feel comfortable with either choice.

I did forget to check and make sure the 7950 I picked out was a Boost edition card with the latest BIOS. That's something you could do yourself in theory, but it might be a little tricky for a first time builder, so I will take a look and see if there are any that have it pre-flashed in the same price range.

Apparently the one I had picked out is also out of stock now...
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:02:03 AM

ckholt83 said:
The type of fans on the card varies by manufacturer and model, you should be able to find both types of coolers for both GPUs, there are tons of variants. In either instance, the air will need to be exhausted outside of the case, one system (the internal exhaust) just requires that your case have good airflow in general, which it does. The ones that exhaust internally are often quieter and frequently keep the cards cooler. Either option is perfectly viable though, you should feel comfortable with either choice.

I did forget to check and make sure the 7950 I picked out was a Boost edition card with the latest BIOS. That's something you could do yourself in theory, but it might be a little tricky for a first time builder, so I will take a look and see if there are any that have it pre-flashed in the same price range.

Apparently the one I had picked out is also out of stock now...

yea the 7970 right? or are you talking about the 7950 also?
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:07:46 AM

taylorswift said:
I didn't want to spend that much on a monitor but if it really reallly nice looking then I wouldn't mind.

Also, unfortunately $250ish is about the bare minimum you can get a 27" monitor for. If you wanted to drop down to a 23-24" you could shave another $100 or so off there.

As for upgrading the SSD capacity later on, the only downside there is of course you would have to do a reinstall of your OS and games to the new drive. If you don't mind the extra elbow grease, that's a perfectly viable solution.

I also wouldn't bother getting 16GB of RAM to start with, 8GB should be plenty for now and it's just about the easiest possible thing to upgrade down the road.

I would also echo DarkSable in not worrying too much about the physical build, it's usually pretty straightforward. My officers and I recently bought all the parts for a new machine and had them shipped to a girl in the guild who had never built a rig before and she got through it just fine. There are a bunch of tutorials and videos out on the web you can watch to give you an idea of what to expect. :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:15:55 AM

taylorswift said:
yea the 7970 right? or are you talking about the 7950 also?

I am talking about both. For example, here is a vanilla 7970 using the blower / external exhaust method, and here is one using the internal exhaust method.

All of the GHz edition 7970s that I can find use the internal exhaust method. Here's another option to replace the first one I picked out which was out of stock.
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:15:59 AM

Yea I think I'm going to go with that bestbuy monitor. I'll go over my budget a little bit if needed. And games like wow and guildwars2 I'm guessing save to your account so if I get a new ssd,after I install the games again,I should have all my items and characters correct?
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:19:21 AM

taylorswift said:
Yea I think I'm going to go with that bestbuy monitor. I'll go over my budget a little bit if needed. And games like wow and guildwars2 I'm guessing save to your account so if I get a new ssd,after I install the games again,I should have all my items and characters correct?

Yes, all of your character data (including inventory) is stored server side, you can log into any computer and it will retrieve everything just fine. :) 

Uh, and as another option in case it simply hadn't occurred to you, instead of selling the initial 128GB SSD and reinstalling on a 256GB, you could simply ADD another 128GB (or larger) SSD to your system down the road and simply give yourself more space to install programs that way. You'd keep your existing OS installation on the first SSD and you wouldn't have to redo anything.
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:26:21 AM

Oh yea that sounds alot easier actually. I was pretty confident on the build but now I'm unsure again which gpu to go with lol. I've been reading some reviews on these on some of them are horrific. Are the Nvidia ones better in anyway?
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:32:20 AM

I am personally partial to nvidia, and a fair number of game developers (WoW tends to run better on nvidia cards for example) are too, but they're both viable options. I just picked out Radeon cards since you mentioned in your initial post you wanted 7k series.

If it were my build, I would probably go with this Gigabyte or this ASUS GTX 670.
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:38:43 AM

I like that ASUS actually. It has some great reviews for the most part.

Would you have to change anything in the build though like the motherboard since I'm switching gpu's or does it not matter?
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:41:48 AM

So here's the revised part list with the modular PSU, 128GB SSD, and the ASUS GTX 670. Nothing needs to change to accomodate the video card swap, they are equally compatible. :) 

Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1474.82

I like the Carbide 500R for a case option, but here are a few other cases with similar aesthetics to look at as well:

Rosewill Thor V2

Bitfenix Colossus

Coolermaster Storm Stryker

m
l
October 11, 2012 3:46:33 AM

that build looks very nice to me.

I like that coolermaster more than the 500R a bit but its $60 more =/ I'd rather spend that money on a new keyboard or mouse xD

By the way, I can't thank you enough for all the help <3 I'm just going to ask a couple people to go over it and make sure I can't get anything better for my money,and if all goes well I will be ordering this bad boy on sunday :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:52:30 AM

taylorswift said:
that build looks very nice to me.

I like that coolermaster more than the 500R a bit but its $60 more =/ I'd rather spend that money on a new keyboard or mouse xD

Yeah, like I said, I think the Corsair is a great choice. I'm also a bit disenchanted with Coolermaster right now because of issues with my HAF X, so I don't recommend them wholeheartedly. Just figured you might not be aware of all the options. :) 

I'm very happy to help, I hope the build goes smooth! I have to run right now, but there are tons highly competent builders floating around this forum to chime in with their input, and I'll check back in later in case you have any other questions. :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:58:48 AM

Thanks!
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:19:43 AM

You're getting some great advice here. A couple of comments:
1. The Corsair case is a solid bet. Anandtech has an excellent review of it; essentially it is extremely easy to build in and performs solidly (ie cooling, noise).
2. You might consider the Antec P280, which should be price-competitive with the Corsair. Again, Anandtech has a great review.
3. If you only care about size, that HP monitor will be ok. A better quality 24"option that is close in price is the Dell U2412. It is a much better IPS panel - better viewing angles, colour and resolution. I have a 28" 1920x1200 monitor and I wish I'd gone for either a smaller monitor at the same resolution, or a 2560x1440 IPS monitor. By the way, that AOC monitor linked above is NOT IPS.
4. Treat that CPU cooler with respect. It is possible to snap the mounts if you over-tighten it. Excellent choice if you take care though.

Anyway, good luck with it!
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:02:26 AM

romany8806 said:
By the way, that AOC monitor linked above is NOT IPS.

Hmmm. Both the Tomshardware article and the Bestbuy.com description list it as an IPS panel, where are you seeing otherwise? It seems unlikely / awfully shady that both sites would have it wrong, but I'd definitely like to know if I'm missing something here.
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:49:25 AM

Hi there – I may have jumped the gun, but there’s something strange going on there.

To the best of my knowledge no previous IPS panel has viewing angles of 170/160º (one of the consistent hallmarks/benefits of IPS is its 178/178º viewing angles). This would also be the only 27” IPS panel I know of that runs at 1920x1080. I’ve done a quick Google search for that monitor and a heap of sites have published the same ‘advertorial’ as Tom’s – so the spiel is AOC’s/Bestbuy’s, not TH’s.

Possibly it is some new breed of IPS (I have my doubts), but if it performs the same as TN panel then what’s the point?

Don't get me wrong mind you - AOC's TN monitors have been getting some great reviews and their smaller IPS stuff is decent if barebones, and that model certainly looks the part.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:00:32 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the info, that's good to know. :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:28:17 AM

Hi,
Don't use the wireless card use a USB with a cable it will be very hot and burnout.

taylorswift said:
Hey everyone, I've been doing hours and hours of research and watching videos and I think I'm going to take the plunge and try to build my first ever pc. Sorry ahead of time for the wall of text lol.

First off I'd like to state my main concern. I live in a small/medium size room,along with two cats who never leave my room. Therefore there is usually some cat hair and dust floating around. So I'm guessing I need a case with good airflow to keep the cat hair from dropping in the bottom of the case and sitting there. Also I need a case that is pretty easy to open for cleaning but yet is appealing to me. ( I'm a girl so I like the somewhat cheesy led fans lol.) Prefer a case that has removable filters too if possible. This case is the most important part to me,I really hope I can find something I like that has all or most of these options. Here are the ones I found aesthetically appealing. (however im unsure of airflow and other things)

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White

NZXT Phantom 410

NZXT Guardian 921 RB

COUGAR Evolution-W

I could be persuated pehaps on others as long as they are nice looking :)  (I'm sure I can add LED fan's to every case)

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: 50/50 chance of being this weekend. If I'm positive about the build,then I will order it this weekend otherwise I'll definitely order it next weekend.

Budget Range: $1400-$1500 after rebates,after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming,gaming,websurfing including youtube often. (mostly will be playing wow,guildwars 2,counterstrike)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I can wait for parts from other websites besides newegg as long as they are reputable sites that don't scam people. (unless the time frame to get them all is a significant difference,then I'd go with newegg only.) And if I only save like $15-$20 by ordering from 3+ different websites,then I'd rather go all newegg.

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu and 7k series gpu

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Im not sure what this is. I believe crossfire has something to do with 2 graphic cards? If so,I only need 1.

Your Monitor Resolution: Unsure

Additional Comments: I would like a ssd. Also I need a psu that would allow me to overclock in the future once I learn how. (mild o/c) The monitor I would prefer to be around 26-27". If theirs nothing of good quality for around $200-250 then I suppose I'd go down to 24"

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: 10 year old computer finally broke. After never opening it up even once and cleaning it lol :) 

Thanks so much ahead of time guys. It would mean alot to me to finally have a nice computer.

Also,if I don't want a wireless card built into it right away,is that something that can be added later on? (I dont want an external one)

I'm willing to go about $40 over my budget for extra fans if needed also.

m
l
!