How should i set my fans

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I will be getting 2 new fans soon and was wonder if they should be intake or exhaust and where to put them.
i have 1 exhaust on the back of my pc near the bottom here is a picture of how i think i should put them the holes obviously being the fans (its a really crappy pic)
http://i.imgur.com/ILMRx.jpg

so what should they be intake exhaust? what. or should i only have 1 or put one in another spot (dont know where else)

i was thinking both intake or the top intake and the lower one exhaust cause my GPU runs pretty hot and the top one will be right around it. maybe it should be exhaust to get the hot air out? i dont know, i havent done much with fans, i had one on the side (where the lower one is in the pic) but it burnt out so i took this as a chance to cool my pc down a bit

edit: the picture is a view of the side just so no one gets confused or anything

Your drawing did not tell me much.
Can you identify your case, or post a pic?

What you want is airflow.

Usually intake in front or bottom and exhaust rear or top.

You want about an equal area for both intake and exhaust with the airflow passing through your cpu cooler..

I like two intakes, particularly if you have a filter there. That is positive pressure and keeps your case more dust free.
But. two in exhaust will work ok too.

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
i know the drawing was bad.
my case is just a hp stock case it only has 1 fan spot on the rear i previously had one on the side where i made holes and stuff for it but it burnt out.

i cant put one in front for 2 reason
1. im lazy and dont want to do a full out case mod for intake holes.
2. thats right where my hdd rack is and above that is my cd drives and stuff

a top fan is out of the question too cause its a 14" case and between my PSU and cd slots is like 1-2 inches

mainly i want my GPU to be cool so i will narrow the question down. should i put a fan over my GPU? and should it be intake or exhaust. my case has horrible air flow. basically its split into 2 section the top and bottom the seperator would be my GPU and the bundle of wires on the end of it (no cable managment)

also one by my GPU could keep my PSU cool and my PSU could act as the exhaust for the top half then another intake near the bottom and the exhaust fan being exhaust

are any of those good ideas.

my case is just a stock HP pavillion desktop pc

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I've seen GPU dedicated cooling. I don't what the name is.
It's some kind of long piece of plastic you put on the GPU. Usually it has two fans and you connect it to the PSU.

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

You can build your very own GPU dedicated cooling system.
Using those fans you bought or will buy.
It's kinda of tough to build it succesfully without damaging the GPU.
Otherwise link us your case specs so we can help you better.

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
its kinda hard to find the specs for my exact system but all the hp pavilions look the same so im guessing they are about the same
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01374050&lc=en&product=3686674#N335

thats the same case as mine (if you just google hp pavilion desktop you get the same things)

if you want the specs its about
6 1/2 inches wide
14 3/4 inches long
14 inches tall

really all im asking is if having 2 intake on the side is good or not and if having an intake above my GPU will keep it cooler i dont really see why you need case specs and stuff, i will be making my own holes for the fans and such

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Ok, sorry for asking about the case. But know that when someone is trying to help you, try not to complain ;)
Moving on to your questions.
I really couldn't tell you if side intake is good nor if side exhaust is good.
I've noticed that having a fan right in front of the GPU as intake, doesn't help at all with lowering temps.
Usually, front and side should be intake, while top and rear should be exhaust.
This is just theoretical. Try installing two fans on the side, rather close to the rear.
Put both as intake, both as exhaust, one intake, one exhaust...After each fan set-up, monitor your temperatures, see how they change from set-up to set-up.
The one you find lowering temperatures the most, is the one you stick with.

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
i didnt mean to complain but it was a simply question and i think you were just overthinking it. your input on how a fan over the GPU doesnt change much might make me change my mind, i might do a front case mod and get a front fan then 1 side fan both intake then the 1 exhaust, i guess i will just experiment with it

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

That is actually the only way to clear doubts about fans and cooling. You have to experiment. You might as well have whole different results when placing an intake fan in front of the GPU. If you're going to mod the front of your case, be extremely careful(i'm guessing the front is made of plastic)when making the holes for the fan.
Actually, having one front intake and one rear exhaust is the most basic cooling set up there is. And yet the most effective. From then onwards, any fan you place could mess up the whole airflow.

There's the basic rule: "Heat goes up" . From there on, you're free to set your fans however you want, as long as the temperatures either stay the same or go down.

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

not sure what you mean. my only fan (right now) is an exhaust fan on the back at the bottom

i think i will either do a case mod and put an intake on the bottom front if i do that i will put another intake near the top on the side

or i will just have 2 intakes on the side one at top one at bottom

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

i can try but between my cd bays and my PSU is about 1 inch maybe 2 i could just take them out since i dont use them. then i could probably move my hdd holder case thing up cause thats in the way of a front fan so then i could have 1 rear exhaust 1 front intake 1 top exhaust and maybe 1 side intake

crowz9

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Those two fans are more than enough.
Chairs, why don't you try that?

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

i will, i have 1 last question (hopefully last) since i dont want to make my ugly case worse and i dont want to do the work of drilling holes in the front. if i can fit a fan between my case and my front plate should i without drilling holes it has an intake vent at the very bottom so i think it should be good

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

no holes in the front except some slits in the bottom. i think i can squeeze a fan in the space between the face plate and the case i just hope the slits will bring in enough air. if not then i will put hols in, probably get one of those fan covers and stick it on so it looks cool-ish