Problem with Headset

Haders

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hey there, I'd just like some help with my headset.
I've had a Plantronics Gamescom headset for around 8 months, and used it with my Windows 7 laptop for 6 of those, at the tail end of December I built a new PC, with Windows 8. My headset worked completely fine with it up until a few days ago.
I use the microphone daily for skype/teamspeak/recording gameplay videos etc. I left my PC for a few hours (the microphone was working fine before I left) and when I got back my PC was locked as usual, so I logged in; I joined a mumble server and realised that my microphone was playing up. Rather than outputting what I was saying, it was taking the same audio that my headset is receiving, and outputting that. The headset is a dual pin in-line socket connector thing. It goes into the green and pink mic/sound slots on the front of my PC, and also into the ones on my motherboard, at the back. In both of these the headphones on my headset work perfectly fine, but the microphone has the same problem. If anyone knows what is causing this it would be greatly appreciated, it's a huge problem for me.
Here's everything I think is relevant:

System spec:
CPU: AMD FX 8-Core 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence
Graphics: MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD/ATI Graphics Card | 2GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Sound: Integrated
HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: Corsair 750W

Headset:
Plantronics Gamescom (Not sure of model no)
2 pin input/dual in-line
Headphones work, microphone as described above

The problem can only be reproduced if my headphones are plugged in.
So if I just have the microphone, and any other sound output enabled together the microphone just picks up nothing at all.
I am plugging it into the right socket.

If you need any other info or have a solution, I would be immensely happy! Thank you!

Haders

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
As a side note, I have tried updating and rolling back drivers, windows told me they were up to date, and would not roll them back.
I have tried restarting.
I have tried plugging the headset into the other inline sockets.

Haders

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I just tried it on my laptop, real freaky stuff going on with that. I'm going to try sending it back.