Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I want to use CUDA what should i use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 5:51:40 PM

I want to use the CUDA function in Blender 2.63.17 in the version listed on the URL of http://graphicall.org/444 and i am still building the computer to do so so which nVidia graphics card should i use as the list of CUDA enabled nVidia graphics cards is long. I am seeking the best for the least amount of money and yes i will also be playing games though mainly MMORPGs so CPU bound most of the time not GPU bound in that yes i have tested it they are CPU bound not GPU.
In this please do not say any ATI/AMD card is better as yes i know ATI/AMD cards are some times better by some or by lots than a nVidia graphics card but ATI/AMD cards do not have CUDA and i need CUDA for the Blender 2.63.17 program in which i am building this computer because of. In addition please do not criticize me building a computer because of one program it is for more than just this one just this is the heaviest resource using program i will be using is all and i never used CUDA so i think it will be interesting to use CUDA some to see what it is like to use.

More about : cuda

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 5:59:17 PM

Best and Least amount of money is almost contradictory. the more you pay, the more cuda cores you get simply. number of them just computes faster.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:04:10 PM

That is a broad question. If you give us an approximate budget and ask what's the best Nvidia card for that much money, that would be a question we can answer. Like anything else, better (faster) video cards are more expensive than slower ones.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 6:07:53 PM

Do you have a budget? The lowest card from Geforce arsenal I could offer is GTX 560. It costs ~$160. After that, it all depends on your budget:

$200 - GTX 560 Ti
$250 - GTX 570
$300 - GTX 660 Ti
$400 - GTX 670
$500 - GTX 680

That's about it ;) .
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 6:18:46 PM

Sunius said:
Do you have a budget? The lowest card from Geforce arsenal I could offer is GTX 560. It costs ~$160. After that, it all depends on your budget:

$200 - GTX 560 Ti
$250 - GTX 570
$300 - GTX 660 Ti
$400 - GTX 670
$500 - GTX 680

That's about it ;) .

In case of compute power(incase he uses any other program) I would definitely avoid kepler and go with a fermi card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 6:24:47 PM

dudewitbow said:
In case of compute power(incase he uses any other program) I would definitely avoid kepler and go with a fermi card.

They are only bad at OpenCL, but they rock at CUDA:

m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 6:25:35 PM

Sunius said:
They are only bad at OpenCL, but they rock at CUDA:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6159/49215.png

Of course, but its partially on the thought that im assuming OP uses other programs as well, because all he says is that blender is the most heavy(meaning there are others) and also mentions AMD cards meaning there are other OpenCL programs being used. The Fermi cards will be better suited for most programs thrown at him instead of buying a card for only CUDA operations and do poorly on everything else.
m
l
August 18, 2012 11:18:09 PM

yes there is a budget i should have mentioned that thank you for reminding me dudwitbow and the budget is $350 for the graphics card anyways. in this what is the best GPU for CUDA in that price range and what is OpenCL when compared to CUDA as i thought OpenCL was just an attempt at a open source version like thing of what CUDA does in this yes i know i sound like an idiot but i am not that much into what programming is i am mostly into graphics and want them to be good and fast.
m
l

Best solution

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2012 11:23:09 PM

yumri said:
yes there is a budget i should have mentioned that thank you for reminding me dudwitbow and the budget is $350 for the graphics card anyways. in this what is the best GPU for CUDA in that price range and what is OpenCL when compared to CUDA as i thought OpenCL was just an attempt at a open source version like thing of what CUDA does in this yes i know i sound like an idiot but i am not that much into what programming is i am mostly into graphics and want them to be good and fast.

OpenCL is another form of coding that yes, is open source which is essentially parallel computnig between cpu and gpu. Its more optimized on an AMD platform but can also be dont on an nvidia card(not as fluently but done none the less) for instance, if gtx 580s were still in the market, at your price range, that would probably be the better general computer+cuda vs the 660ti, but since its pretty much gone from retail, the 660ti should be enough for your needs.

What nvidia tried to do with this generation(gtx 600 series) was cut the professional usage of gpus from the gaming gpus primarily(split the gtx main series lines and the workstation quadro and tesla cards) to partially cut cost on the gaming gpu to make it a tiny bit more gamer friendly, but of course it still has CUDA(because thats nvidias own unique processing core vs amds stream processors) which makes work done with CUDA still applicable.
August 18, 2012 11:46:06 PM

Best answer selected by yumri.
m
l
!