Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Excel Crashes when I cut and Paste

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 16, 2012 11:56:23 AM

I have a completely new Lenovo X120e computer - yes my company bought the best (sarcasm). ANy way whenever I try to copy from excel and paste into another program the excel crashes. This is reoccuring any ideas? It just shuts down completely and trys to restart. Thanks ahead of time.

- Todd Charske
February 16, 2012 12:02:47 PM

What version of OS and Excel?
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 12:36:31 PM

Cut and paste use's a small amount of physical memory if my research is correct, maybe that could lead you to a bigger problem you never knew you had.

m
0
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 2:08:12 PM

price_th said:
What version of OS and Excel?



Windows7_OS

Excel 2003 SP3 part of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 it says
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 2:09:39 PM

silverliquicity said:
Cut and paste use's a small amount of physical memory if my research is correct, maybe that could lead you to a bigger problem you never knew you had.



I was a little annoyed by it myself, IT does crash during other functions but mostly when I'm messing with excel. The computer is obviously a cheap computer?!?!
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2012 3:15:47 PM

That laptop only has 2 GB of RAM. With Win7, that is just barely enough. And now you are trying to run an application?

I would see about getting at least another 2 GB..
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2012 3:51:32 PM

I recommend that you test the memory with memtest86 4.0a

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

If the memory is OK then uninstall office 2003 and reinstall.
Share
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2012 4:39:34 PM

or if it is a company machine, get your IT dept to fix it, and don't give them the opportunity to point a finger at you.
I have found that about 50% of laptops (out of a sample of 10ish) have a bad installation from scratch, as if the image does not work. Clean full installations are better. If you can, reinstall office, if they let you, but let your IT dept do the work so you can do yours .
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 5:04:59 PM

Strangely, I have only once had a similar problem and it was also in Excel 2003 on a Lenovo laptop. I think it was a T60 or something - also given by my employer. It had Windows XP

Sometimes copy-pasting, or turning a font bold, would crash it, or cause Excel to hang for several minutes. It got to the point that it was so intolerable that I always used to carry around my personal laptop with me, just for Excel.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 9:18:28 PM

bwrlane said:
Strangely, I have only once had a similar problem and it was also in Excel 2003 on a Lenovo laptop. I think it was a T60 or something - also given by my employer. It had Windows XP

Sometimes copy-pasting, or turning a font bold, would crash it, or cause Excel to hang for several minutes. It got to the point that it was so intolerable that I always used to carry around my personal laptop with me, just for Excel.


This is a Lenovo X120e
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 9:23:02 PM

clarkjd said:
That laptop only has 2 GB of RAM. With Win7, that is just barely enough. And now you are trying to run an application?

I would see about getting at least another 2 GB..


It has 4 gig (3.6 usable) it says of Ram

64 bit ioerating system

processor AMD E-350 1.60 GHZ
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 9:24:05 PM

pjmelect said:
I recommend that you test the memory with memtest86 4.0a

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

If the memory is OK then uninstall office 2003 and reinstall.



Which test there's about 20 links there?
m
0
l
September 18, 2013 9:21:46 AM

Thanks crew I just ended up sending it to my companies IT department and got a new computer. Although I appreciate the efforts.
m
0
l
!