Sign in with
Your question

Which 660 ti should I purchase?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 6:51:24 PM

Im trying to decide in between 2 different GTX 660 ti's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $319

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $299 after mail in rebate

The MSI one has Triple Overvoltage. In benchmarks the coolers are pretty much the same and the same noise levels. Although the Gigabyte one does better then the MSI one when overclocked and when at stock clocks in benchmarks. So witch one do you guys think is better for my money.

Thanks in advance.

Battoot

More about : 660 purchase

a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:54:00 PM

I'd go with the MSI. For $20 there's not much to be gained by going with the Gigabyte. I've even heard that some of the Gigabyte (not all) have pretty bad coil whine.

And having used MSI for a while now I've never had any issues with them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:03:06 PM

What about the Galaxy? In benchmarks, the difference between them is nil. Also, I heard you can't return GPUs if the game is used. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but people have had issues with newegg and games that are free with gpus.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 7:05:50 PM

Can you explain the Triple Overvoltage protection on the MSI card?
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:08:48 PM

battoot said:
Can you explain the Triple Overvoltage protection on the MSI card?

it lets you OC the GPU more than a card that does not let you adjust those factors
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:10:01 PM

envy14tpe said:
What about the Galaxy? In benchmarks, the difference between them is nil. Also, I heard you can't return GPUs if the game is used. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but people have had issues with newegg and games that are free with gpus.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is Galaxy a good brand/reliable? So is the cooler on the Galaxy better(noise/temp) than the Gigabyte and MSI ones or are they exactly the same?
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:15:42 PM

battoot said:
Is Galaxy a good brand/reliable? So is the cooler on the Galaxy better(noise/temp) than the Gigabyte and MSI ones or are they exactly the same?

Galaxy is good as long as you are not going to OC

MSI is more for OCing the GPU and memory
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:15:58 PM

I like MSI products they have decent parts, usually run a little cooler than most cards. You shouldn't have to worry much with the 660ti it shouldn't get too hot at all.

Tripple over voltage allows you to adjust PLL voltage, GPU voltage, and memory voltage on the card using MSI's after burner program. Its kind of like an easy overclock tool. I had it on my card but never bothered with it.
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:28:56 PM

I think im sold on the MSI one. One more question, What is the average memory overclock on the 660 ti that people are achieving?
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:32:11 PM

battoot said:
I think im sold on the MSI one. One more question, What is the average memory overclock on the 660 ti that people are achieving?

seems to be 1500 MHz you might get up to 1600 MHz
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:40:41 PM

Its a decent card if you don't demand extreme circumstances from all your games. You will get good performance at 1920 resolution and if you are on a budget and you probably want to upgrade in a year or two anyway. If you want to wait a week or two maybe you could find some more deals now that all 600 series are out.
m
l
August 19, 2012 1:30:23 AM

selayan said:
Its a decent card if you don't demand extreme circumstances from all your games. You will get good performance at 1920 resolution and if you are on a budget and you probably want to upgrade in a year or two anyway. If you want to wait a week or two maybe you could find some more deals now that all 600 series are out.

Why will i have to upgrade this card in a year or two. Is it not going to be able to play games at medium high settings for the next 3 years?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 1:35:32 AM

It should last you 2 years, everything pc wise is old after a few months anyway lol.
m
l
!