Sign in with
Your question

Dont know what to do..my XFX 6870 is performing horribly!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 7:59:18 PM

Hey guys....im really confused as to whats going on and i dont know what to do anymore besides returning my card back to newegg...

i have a xfx 6870..if im correct this card is suppose to be a great card that can pretty much max out anything with no problems...however games that i play like DOOM 3 and NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT, Divinty 2 The Dragon Knight Saga are all lagging! and its driving me insane! Im trying to ignore the problem and not be a knitpicker but its really hard when it actually begins to effect gameplay.

my computer specs are as follows..... DELL VOSTRO 230.....4GB RAM...680WATT PSU...DUAL CORE E7500@ 2.93 GHZ

i dont think my computer is causing a bottleneck...but can anyone critic on it??

to furthur explain the problem....NONE of my games seem to run smoothly without a hiccup that would completely slow the game down....also my games are starting to crash to my desktop with errors.....i dont know if i have a defective GPU but has anyone seen anything like this and what should i do?? This is the 2nd time ive had a XFX product that is giving me problems...if i end up returning this ill never engage in business with XFX ever again.

Its also worth noting that my Hard drive is almost complete full..i have all but 3GB of space left..i dont think that is the problem however because DOOM 3 ran perfectly with my integrated graphics chip...now that i have bought the 6879 the performance and FPS of DOOM 3 has declined...weird.

EDIT: I just ran a 3DMARK11 test and here are my scores as follows....

Score
P2578 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

This scores look horrible and my FPS were wayyy down...can anyone critic???
August 18, 2012 9:08:32 PM

koolaidjuice said:
Hey guys....im really confused as to whats going on and i dont know what to do anymore besides returning my card back to newegg...

i have a xfx 6870..if im correct this card is suppose to be a great card that can pretty much max out anything with no problems...however games that i play like DOOM 3 and NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT, Divinty 2 The Dragon Knight Saga are all lagging! and its driving me insane! Im trying to ignore the problem and not be a knitpicker but its really hard when it actually begins to effect gameplay.

my computer specs are as follows..... DELL VOSTRO 230.....4GB RAM...680WATT PSU...DUAL CORE E7500@ 2.93 GHZ

i dont think my computer is causing a bottleneck...but can anyone critic on it??

to furthur explain the problem....NONE of my games seem to run smoothly without a hiccup that would completely slow the game down....also my games are starting to crash to my desktop with errors.....i dont know if i have a defective GPU but has anyone seen anything like this and what should i do?? This is the 2nd time ive had a XFX product that is giving me problems...if i end up returning this ill never engage in business with XFX ever again.

Its also worth noting that my Hard drive is almost complete full..i have all but 3GB of space left..i dont think that is the problem however because DOOM 3 ran perfectly with my integrated graphics chip...now that i have bought the 6879 the performance and FPS of DOOM 3 has declined...weird.

EDIT: I just ran a 3DMARK11 test and here are my scores as follows....

Score
P2578 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

This scores look horrible and my FPS were wayyy down...can anyone critic???

UPDATE DRIVERS amd.com
--

For one, the 6870 was never a "max it out" card. The 6950 and 6970 were for that, at least in that generation of AMD gpu's. Next off, CPU and GPU need a perfect balance to maintain smooth gameplay. If one is more poweful than the other, you'll have FPS problems. From what I could gather via google, the cpu in that system is a ntel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz. For this day and age of games that's pretty bad. You want at least a 3 ghz quadcore these days to maintain decent FPS with a good GPU.

Your power supply is horrendous, that's most certainly the issue. That system comes with a 300w PSU. 6870 and higher end cards recommend 500w, it can run on a great 400w corsair power supply but you're using a prebuilt PC meant for sending e-mails and looking at 9gag/youtube/facebook. That's not going to cut it. GPU's not getting enough power will down clock their core speeds to something manageable, giving you the terrible performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This should fix all of your problems.
August 18, 2012 9:38:15 PM

Thank you for the reply!!...I actually swapped out that 250watt psu with a 680watt k-power psu...so I dontthink the powersupply is the issue
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 9:50:42 PM

well, you dont have much space left on your hard disk, so your swap file is hurting, and i'f you've just noticed the space issue, im sure your comp is full of junk and could use a cleaning or a reload
August 18, 2012 9:57:31 PM

I can definitely use an extra hard drive......however ive deleted all the junk and ive left just the bare essentials that i need on my pc... still somehow i dont think that is the issue tho..before i had gotten my GPU my DOOM 3 game was running flawlessly on my integrated graphic chips...but now with the GPU its a laggin mess...:( 
August 18, 2012 10:55:14 PM

that cpu is bottlenecking the S*** out of that 6870...

and you could use more RAM
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:06:19 PM

4 pieces information I would like to see when questioning game performance:

1. Settings, Drivers, Specs
2. GPU Load % during these games(use a program to monitor it)
3. CPU Load % during the games(same as above)
4. GPU and CPU temperature during load.

the common 4 questions to ask oneself before any gpu help
!