Sign in with
Your question

Will I need a low-profile graphics card for this motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 8:47:38 PM

Hello, I am wondering whether I need a low profile graphics card for this mobo, as it is pretty small.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

It's a PCI-E x16 if that helps :/ 

If it does require a low profile card, can I have some suggestions for a good one for gaming under £120

I am a complete newbie to pc building and such.

Thank you :) 
August 18, 2012 8:48:25 PM

That motherboard is an AM3 socket AMD mobo, that supports DDR3 (No higher than 1333MHz, still available. 8 gb kits of it are only 50 bucks) and is PCIe 2.0. That's last gen, but no cards can bottle neck that bandwidth yet (I believe), it's still a perfectly viable board for gaming on an AMD system. Throw a AMD Phenon II x4 965 quadcore black edition in there with any graphics card you want broheim.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

look there, it has all the information. If it has "PCIe 2.0" You're good to go.

--

It's your case and your power supply you should worry about, not the motherboard. I'd recommend nothing less than a 600w corsair PSU for a high end graphics card, and a case with lots of room :p 

I hope I was of some assistance.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 9:00:35 PM

Weird, i only see one pci-e x16 slot i believe. You're sure about the sli ?
Related resources
August 18, 2012 9:06:40 PM

OptyFM said:
That motherboard is an AM3 socket AMD mobo, that supports DDR3 (No higher than 1333MHz, still available. 8 gb kits of it are only 50 bucks) and is PCIe 2.0. That's last gen, but no cards can bottle neck that bandwidth yet (I believe), it's still a perfectly viable board for gaming on an AMD system. Throw a AMD Phenon II x4 965 quadcore black edition in there with any graphics card you want broheim. You could even put two high end GPU's in there, it's an SLI/Crossfire board.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

look there, it has all the information. If it has "PCIe 2.0" You're good to go.

--

It's your case and your power supply you should worry about, not the motherboard. I'd recommend nothing less than a 600w corsair PSU for a high end graphics card. 800w PSU for crossfire/SLI and a case with lots of room :p 

Thanks for the quick response, so it doesn't real matter about the size of the motherboard, just the case and psu? My processor is an amd fx 4100 (don't bash it, it's good). I was thinking about the Radeon 6850, would my mobo support it? Thanks again :) 
I hope I was of some assistance.

a c 104 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 9:16:09 PM

?
August 18, 2012 9:16:21 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Weird, i only see one pci-e x16 slot i believe. You're sure about the sli ?

Oh, hah. I haven't had enough coffee today my brain saw 2.0 than an X somewhere and thought it was 2x pcie slots. Fixed my post.
!