Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer won't turn on after a power outage.

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Power Outage
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 2:01:29 PM

My city had a power outage yesterday, and now the computer won't turn on at all. I've had this happen on a work computer in the past, and it ended up being the power supply, which was a fairly easy fix. In that instance, when pressing the power button I at least got the flashing green light to appear on the button. This time I get absolutely nothing. Could it be the same issue, and if not, what other problems might I be looking at?

I'm hoping nothing major as I've read on a few strings that a sudden absence of power shouldn't damage your computer.

I have a Systemax Beast IV Desktop PC
AMD Phenom Quad Core
3 years old

Please help,
thank you - Lori

More about : computer turn power outage

October 11, 2012 2:09:12 PM

psu -> motherboard -> components
m
l

Best solution

October 11, 2012 2:12:58 PM

Most likely a PSU. It has happened to me once and I even had an APC power backup and surge protector. Try another PSU I bet it will work.
Related resources
October 11, 2012 2:34:40 PM

thank you, I'm on it.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:34:58 PM

you need to take the computer apart and start with the power supply to see if it's still operational. If the ps still works, then connect it to the motherboard (outside of the computer) and see if you can get it to POST with a screen connected to the video port.

Then let us know
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:37:23 PM

schnitter said:
... I even had an APC power backup and surge protector...

You had this happen with a UPS? what model was it?
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:38:17 PM

Have you tried leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes?
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:45:41 PM

dingo07 said:
You had this happen with a UPS? what model was it?

It was an APC brand don't know rhe model. I contacted APC and they paid for the PSU and sent me a new model APC so I can't complain.
m
l
October 11, 2012 2:48:19 PM

schnitter said:
It was an APC brand don't know rhe model. I contacted APC and they paid for the PSU and sent me a new model APC so I can't complain.

Great, but was it a UPS or just a surge protector?
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:21:36 AM

It was the power source. $45 and 15 minutes of my time. Thanks for everyone's input.
Problem solved.
m
l
October 23, 2012 1:04:53 AM

Best answer selected by lamonavon.
m
l
!