Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k running very hot

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 1:02:12 AM

Im running a i5 3570k (stock speeds, no OC) on an Asrock z77 extreme 4 with a CM Hyper 212 evo. I had the intention of overclocking however, my current stock temps have put that to a halt. I get idle temps of around 30-38C and load temps of 63-67C (using prime95 and coretemp). Is it normal for it to be this hot?

Ive read of people getting 65C max when overclocked to 4.2ghz on the Evo. Ive tried remounting the evo and reapplying thermal paste and yet it is still the same (unless ive done something terribly wrong). I still want to overclock but my current stock temps are kind of scaring me. Any suggestions on what i could do?

More about : 3570k running hot

February 24, 2013 1:09:32 AM

How is your case airflow.

It sounds pretty bad from your temps, even my friend with no intake and 1 exhaust manages 20-25 idle, do you have fans at all, if not, pick up at least one for an exhaust and preferably a 2nd or 3rd for intake. Good airflow fans are the NF-F12, Corsair AF120/AF140, or if you can afford it, the Sanyo Denki San Ace 120.

Also, what is your ambient temperature(room temperature), if it's too high it'll influence your temps. Generally below 20C is good.
m
l
February 24, 2013 1:12:24 AM

My case is a CM HAF 912 with one 200mm intake fan at the front, one 200mm exhaust at the top and a 120mm exhaust at the rear. The Evo is also in push-pull configuration so two 120mm fans. Room temps are roughly 20-24C
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 2:55:49 AM

tera88 said:
Im running a i5 3570k (stock speeds, no OC) on an Asrock z77 extreme 4 with a CM Hyper 212 evo. I had the intention of overclocking however, my current stock temps have put that to a halt. I get idle temps of around 30-38C and load temps of 63-67C (using prime95 and coretemp). Is it normal for it to be this hot?

Ive read of people getting 65C max when overclocked to 4.2ghz on the Evo. Ive tried remounting the evo and reapplying thermal paste and yet it is still the same (unless ive done something terribly wrong). I still want to overclock but my current stock temps are kind of scaring me. Any suggestions on what i could do?

You're fine. My idle temps are about 18-20C on a hyper 212+ and about 55-60C at load, granted its not what your temps are but it has a TJ Max of about 100C plus. You need to worry about temps when it starts to get to 85-90C even then you're ok but thats when you need to monitor it better. The temps are fine, also what do you have your voltage set to? I currently have mine undervolted by -0.070 on a 4.0Ghz overclock and it dropped my temps by a good 8-15C average. But you shouldnt be worried about it. In real world usage you wouldnt be using 100% of your CPU anyway so you wont reach those temps. Also are you sure you've applied the thermal paste the correct way?
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:00:49 AM

I have the same cpu, mobo and cooler. My idle temps rarely break past 30, around 28-30 most of the time, sometimes lower and while gaming it doesn't go beyond 50. This is with an ambient temperature of around 20-22 degrees. I have an HAF XM with 2 200mm intake fans, front and side.

Your load temps sound ok, your idle temps sound high. If you want to check if its your case then take off the side panel and run your tests. If the temps are lower then you know its because your case wasn't getting enough air before.

How did you apply your thermal paste? While everyone has their own way of doing it and tend to swear by it I've seen 2 studies online which have proven that the best way is a half pea sized drop in the middle and gently pressing the heatsink on top with a small twist to get the air out. Thats the way I did it and its working fine.

m
l
February 24, 2013 3:01:11 AM

I have the same cpu, mobo and cooler. My idle temps rarely break past 30, around 28-30 most of the time, sometimes lower and while gaming it doesn't go beyond 50. This is with an ambient temperature of around 20-22 degrees. I have an HAF XM with 2 200mm intake fans, front and side.

Your load temps sound ok, your idle temps sound high. If you want to check if its your case then take off the side panel and run your tests. If the temps are lower then you know its because your case wasn't getting enough air before.

How did you apply your thermal paste? While everyone has their own way of doing it and tend to swear by it I've seen 2 studies online which have proven that the best way is a half pea sized drop in the middle and gently pressing the heatsink on top with a small twist to get the air out. Thats the way I did it and its working fine.

m
l
February 24, 2013 6:16:07 AM

I know in real world usage the cpu wont utilize 100% but my current stock temps are still worrying as Ive seen a countless number of times people saying that they get no more than 65C when OC. My voltage is currently set to auto. According to CPU-Z, my idle core voltage is around 0.816V and stressed using prime95 is 1.056V. Im not sure whether these are good values or not (sorry im noob).

At first, i used the spread method of applying thermal paste. So i spread an even thin layer over the cpu. Then when i reapplied (cause i thought my temps were too high), I used the pea sized method dannyritz stated. This didnt really do much better, in fact it got 2-3C hotter. So the third (and latest) time i reapplied thermal paste, I went back to spread method. Each time I reapplied, I cleaned the cpu and heatsink thoroughly using isopropyl alcohol. I may try reapplication again next weekend when i have time.

I will give it run with the side panel off and keep you guys updated
m
l
February 24, 2013 7:02:27 AM

So i gave it a quick run and temps with the side panel off doesnt really show much difference. Maybe 1C less. Should i add an intake fan on the side panel?

Also, would lowering my voltage levels bring down the temps?
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 7:25:40 AM

they are fine.

why are you bothered by people saying 65C max and you're getting 63-67C sounds very much like 65C to me. a poor application of thermal paste would do that.

i got a 3-4C drop by turning my tower cooler from fan going bottom to top (recommended installlation) to fan blowing front to back.
m
l
February 24, 2013 7:37:02 AM

It bothers me because they are getting 65C max when overclocked to 4.2-4.4Ghz whereas I am getting 63-67C at stock speeds of 3.4Ghz... Yes it seems it might be my noob thermal paste application skills (this is my first build). I will get a more experienced friend to help me with it when i reapply. My current cooling configuration has the fan blowing from front of case to the rear of the case
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 8:09:08 AM

by overclocking they will have refined their voltage settings somewhat, mine is a 4.3 at -0.005V from auto. so my voltage at 4.3 is about 1.16V (from memory), which may be no more than the voltage at 3.4. hence the temps may not be very different.

Look at your voltage when at 3.4 and look at the others that you have seen at 4.2-4.3

this may give you a clue as to why your temps are high.
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 8:14:39 AM

try overclocking without increasing the volts. some boards are overly generous with voltage so you may be running with more than you need for stock operation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 9:33:26 AM

tera88 said:
It bothers me because they are getting 65C max when overclocked to 4.2-4.4Ghz whereas I am getting 63-67C at stock speeds of 3.4Ghz... Yes it seems it might be my noob thermal paste application skills (this is my first build). I will get a more experienced friend to help me with it when i reapply. My current cooling configuration has the fan blowing from front of case to the rear of the case

To me it just seems like you could have messed up on doing the thermal paste, using to much is the worst you can do for it. Out of curiosity what method did you use when applying it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 9:49:06 AM

Load temps of 63-67C is not that high, what about your ambient room temprature ??
m
l
!