Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trouble with GTX 660 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 18, 2012 9:56:13 PM

Hi,

Just got this in the mail today and installed it, installed drivers, uninstalled old one, everything went smoothly, I thought.

Now I'm having some issues, I went to watch a youtube video first and had no sound, I was getting no sound from anywhere except the skype startup sounds although I can see the levels if I play a video. Then I started up Saints Row 3 to see what the card could do and it was laggy. I'm not sure why this is happening.

I'm wondering if the card itself is defective

Another strange thing is I went to canyourunit.com and they gave me some interesting results.

They say I'm below standards for the card, but it lists everything above average.



I'm not quite sure what the problem is I'd really appreciate some help!

here are the specs:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 ti
AMD FX 6100 Six-Core processor 3.30ghz
8 gb ram
850w psu

More about : trouble gtx 660

August 18, 2012 11:25:47 PM

Anybody have any clue as to what the heck could be going wrong?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:35:34 PM

do you have a older graphics card lying around? you could test if it was your card that is having the problems

you could also put your 660ti in a friends computer and then try running stuff with it and see if its something else in your system

ps: you should have gone with a intel system. intergrated graphics really do help out in these situations
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 11:54:38 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
would imagine since the gtx660ti has just been released canyourunit.com needs to update their list of cards

was your old card amd or nvidia?

maybe your old graphics driver didnt uninstall properly

version 305.68 on nvidias site for the gtx660ti



old card was amd. How can I tell that I uninstalled the old driver completely?

I've already got 305.68 too
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:54:54 PM

would imagine since the gtx660ti has just been released canyourunit.com needs to update their list of cards

was your old card amd or nvidia?

maybe your old graphics driver didnt uninstall properly

version 305.68 on nvidias site for the gtx660ti
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 11:55:22 PM

Yeah my older card is working fine.'

I don't have the option of trying it out in another system
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:00:55 AM

go to control panel and remove any amd stuff like catalyst control centre and the graphics driver

not had an amd card for a while so not sure but there may be some sort of hd audio driver for the graphics card to be

removed as well

m
0
l
August 19, 2012 12:01:54 AM

I followed a tutorial on how to remove all amd and ati files and the only thing left on my system is the amd catalyst install manager but i don't have the option to remove it in control panel. just lets me uninstall the drivers which have already been uninstalled. I'll get on removing the audio driver and see if that fixes my sound

edit: yep sound is fixed. im convinced this is a driver issue now. going to figure out whats still left on my system thats handicapping the new card
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:09:21 AM

ok

and should be able to uninstall amd catalyst install manager

does it have the change option?

if so click that then choose remove

last time i had an amd card i used drivercleaner or driversweeper to remove all the amd stuff before putting in my new

nvidia card

dont know if they are still free though
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 12:11:28 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
ok

and should be able to uninstall amd catalyst install manager

does it have the change option?

if so click that then choose remove

last time i had an amd card i used drivercleaner or driversweeper to remove all the amd stuff before putting in my new

nvidia card

dont know if they are still free though



if i go that route will i have to swap out cards again to do that process?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:13:02 AM

no you can leave the card in

just select the amd stuff in the software to remove

and looks like driversweeper is still free but drivercleaner isnt
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 12:18:22 AM

K will let you know if this helps
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 12:41:26 AM

K got rid of a few amd drivers that I missed, rebooted, and still no change
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:45:54 AM

TheBigTroll said:
do you have a older graphics card lying around? you could test if it was your card that is having the problems

you could also put your 660ti in a friends computer and then try running stuff with it and see if its something else in your system

ps: you should have gone with a intel system. intergrated graphics really do help out in these situations

Just saying he doesn't have an A6 he has an FX series so no integrated graphics.
But yes an i5 would have been better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 12:50:03 AM

Use Driver Sweeper to completely uninstall all drivers in your system, including the Geforce drivers, then reinstall the Geforce drivers.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 1:17:50 AM

Ironslice said:
Use Driver Sweeper to completely uninstall all drivers in your system, including the Geforce drivers, then reinstall the Geforce drivers.



Did that and still no difference on saints row. I'm wondering if im lacking in hardware somewhere else
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 1:36:52 AM

Could it be a power supply just lacking in power to power the card properly.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 1:38:44 AM

jtwire2012 said:
Could it be a power supply just lacking in power to power the card properly.



Would this be the case of a loose cord? How can I go about fixing this? MY psu is 850w
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 1:52:02 AM

You just never listed your PSU and if it's a bad brand it is possible to have it lacking even at 850W (they can rate it whatever they want and some put out way less) what is the brand/model (a link would be great)?
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 2:04:21 AM

andrewcarr said:
You just never listed your PSU and if it's a bad brand it is possible to have it lacking even at 850W (they can rate it whatever they want and some put out way less) what is the brand/model (a link would be great)?


Sure, here it is right here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NMF9ES/ref=oh_deta...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 2:05:51 AM

Okay that's (at least what I consider) a great PSU that'll give you no trouble. PSU ruled out.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 2:07:46 AM

andrewcarr said:
Okay that's (at least what I consider) a great PSU that'll give you no trouble. PSU ruled out.



I've never had a problem that couldn't be figured out with one answer. This is so confusing haha
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 2:28:42 AM

How much stuff do you have on the computer you want to keep? The easiest thing to do to know it isn't software is to format the HDD and re-install windows.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 3:48:30 AM

Hi guys,

Have an update and a new question. I'm getting no signal at all from my card now. All I did was restart my comp and now, no signal.

Is this proof that the card is defective? Whats going on?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:02:24 AM

Can you pick it up at all in the BIOS?
m
0
l
!