Sign in with
Your question

Slow Internet on new build

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 4:42:21 PM

Not sure where else to post this. I just built a new computer and everything runs great except the internet. I used Speedtest,net and my download speeds are normal (around 36MBps) but my upload speed is less than 2MBps. On my old computer the upload was normally around 7 or 8MBps. Webpages load slowly or hang completely.

I did a Norton scan and it found nothing but the usual 2 or 3 tracking cookies which it removed. I switched from Chrome to Firefox and get the same results.

I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Win7 64 - 16gb - i7 3770K

More about : slow internet build

October 11, 2012 8:48:44 PM

Any chance you can disable Norton and try again?
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:58:34 PM

Check the hamster in the wheel, dude might be slackin.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2012 10:18:11 PM

New build. Did you download and install the latest drivers from your motherboard manufacturer (not just install the ones from CD)?

-Wolf sends
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:37:33 PM

@babayface - yeah first thing I did was disable Norton
@jrgong - I'm using Comcast - my wife is as well and has zero slowdowns
@Wolf - yes had the drivers updated and on a USB drive ready before I started the build
@bruce - >.<

So the reason I'm suspicious about upload is that on my other computer I consistently had 6 - 7 MBps along with the 36MBps download. I thought perhaps there was something hanging when I clicked the links or entered data.

One thing I did that seemed to help was disabled WinpkFilter in the Local Area Connection properties - it was the only thing we found that was different between my machine and my wife's.
m
l
October 12, 2012 6:58:11 PM

What motherboard are you running? Does it have any special utilities for "faster networking". Are you wired to the router or wireless?
Can you go into msconfig and (temporarily) disable all non-microsoft services and ALL entries under the startup tab and try running the test again?
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:14:39 PM

babayface22 said:
What motherboard are you running? Does it have any special utilities for "faster networking". Are you wired to the router or wireless?
Can you go into msconfig and (temporarily) disable all non-microsoft services and ALL entries under the startup tab and try running the test again?

Actually disabling WinpkFilter in the Local Area Connection properties did the trick. Everything is back to normal.
m
l
!