Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Not Being Recognized

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 10:49:20 PM

I recently built a new computer and the graphics card is not being recognized. The card is seated properly in the slot and the power from the PSU is securely in place. The fan on the graphics card is running at what appears to be the normal speed but there is not any video being displayed on the monitor. The monitor is also correctly plugged in and is displaying power, but no video. I did try and swap out the graphics cards, but I still had the same result. The mother board is also beeping twice on power-up, which according to the manual means there is a video error. Specs; Intel DP67BG motherboard, EVGA GTX 570 graphics card, Intel 17-2600K processor, Raidmax RX-850 AE power supply.
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 10:59:35 PM

just to be sure, are teh 2 6pin sata connectors in the card(checked the raidmax psu, one of their higher tier ones so it checks out)
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:05:41 PM

Things to check, drivers are upto date, ALL power cables are securely connected (have come across some that think only 1 power connection is needed when both are required), and is the gpu in the right slot (this is usually, but not always, the closet pci-e slot to the cpu. Check you mobo documentation for the right slot). And finally, I know you say you've connected the monitor correctly, but I have come across people that have correctly connected the monitor to the mobos' monitor I/O and not the gpus' monitor I/O. Failing all that, is there another pc you can use to check the gpu is working? You may have to RMA the gpu.
Related resources
August 18, 2012 11:30:53 PM

dudewitbow said:
just to be sure, are teh 2 6pin sata connectors in the card(checked the raidmax psu, one of their higher tier ones so it checks out)

Yes, both of the connectors are in place.
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:33:04 PM

trendline said:
Yes, both of the connectors are in place.

have you tried using the other pci-e 2.0 lane? (normally in this situation i would ask to use integrated graphics, but p67 boards dont have that)
August 18, 2012 11:39:27 PM

a little black duck said:
Things to check, drivers are upto date, ALL power cables are securely connected (have come across some that think only 1 power connection is needed when both are required), and is the gpu in the right slot (this is usually, but not always, the closet pci-e slot to the cpu. Check you mobo documentation for the right slot). And finally, I know you say you've connected the monitor correctly, but I have come across people that have correctly connected the monitor to the mobos' monitor I/O and not the gpus' monitor I/O. Failing all that, is there another pc you can use to check the gpu is working? You may have to RMA the gpu.

Both of the cables are firmly in place in the video card. I have also tried shifting the card between both of the pci-e slots on the mother board and I still had the same result. The monitor is plugged into the video card.
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 11:41:56 PM

have you tried a cmos reset just to see if some odd setting occured in the bios?
August 19, 2012 12:06:01 AM

dudewitbow said:
have you tried a cmos reset just to see if some odd setting occured in the bios?

Wow, that was the problem. PC starts up fine now. Thanks dudewitbow. a little black duck I apprecite your input as well.
!