Need Help with Upgrading my Gaming PC

My current build is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.13GHz (No OC)

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel

Motherboard: Abit AB9 (Not Pro)

RAM: 6gb Crucial DDR2-800 (2x1GB, 2x2GB)

Storage: 1x320gb SATA HDD , 2x500gb SATA HDD (RAID 0)

GPU: XFX Radeon HD4650 1GB

Case: Generic Full ATX case with 3x80mm fans and 2x120mm fans

Power Supply: 450 watt FSP Group PSU with 120mm fan

Optical Drive: External USB 2.0 (I prefer this)

Monitor: 2x19" LCD (1366x768)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Windows 8 Professional x64

Keyboard: Generic USB

Mouse: Generic USB

These are all hand me down parts or extra parts from my daily job. I am just now getting back into PC gaming after a long hiatus due to many changes in my life. I am currently playing Borderlands 2, Diablo 3, and Blacklight Retribution on this rig and loving every minute of it. I would love to play Battlefield 3 and eventually get rid of my Xbox 360. I can tell that I need more power, but not sure where to upgrade and if it is even worth upgrading. I've looked into doing an i3-3220/hd 6870 build, but it is really hard to come up with $5xx right now with a new house and a new baby.

Any input would be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about need upgrading gaming
  1. If I go with the 7850 is anything else going to bottleneck me? Should I get a 3ghz Core 2 Quad, or should I overclock the one I have? Does it matter that my motherboard doesn't do PCI Express 3.0 and the 7850 is PCIe 3.0?
  2. My motherboard does not support pcie 2.0, it only supports pcie 1.1. Is that going to be a huge deal breaker? Should I just go with the hd 7770 then?
  3. Was just looking through old inventory at work and found a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in it. Post-it note on the case says bad processor, I don't think I've ever personally heard of a processor going bad.

I will look at the 6850, but it seems to me that that card is quite a bit more expensive than the 7770. I will try to do a little research to check on compatibility.

Also, my case was damaged last week in a car accident. The plexiglass window smashed to pieces and a few spots on the case bent. I am thinking about getting an NZXT Source 210, would this be a good choice? I tend to keep cases much longer than the internal components.
  4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=w8uMVBPeEeKeXrbn-seCtg0_0_MrJ_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814150617

HD 7850 on sale for $142 after promo code and mail in rebate. That is about $20 more than an HD 7770. Would it be worth getting to have the card when I move over to an i3 setup?
  5. In the process of selling all of my extra computers, monitors, Xbox 360 (and games and accessories) and then seeing what I have money wise. I will then buy a monitor and the best video card I can afford. Thanks for the help I will be back when I have money to blow!
  6. Best answer selected by babayface22.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product