HTPC Build advice on my parts and needs.

tonytopping2002

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hello everyone, I am in the process of upgrading my PC and was wanting to use the old parts for an HTPC. Here is what I have from my old build:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Graphics: MSI N9600GT 512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

These are my left over parts and I want to keep the CPU and Mobo. But the Graphics and Ram can change, which I know I will need to do cause of no HDMI.

Here is what I think I need: PSU, HDD, HTPC Case, TV Tuner for cable or Dish Network, Remote control.

I am going to put a $400 budget............. Is it possible for what I need??? Or should I go new MOBO with HDMI on board to cut out the video??

Here are some of the things I have looked at and all parts $$ are from Newegg.

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" $85
PSU: ???????
HTPC Case: nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 6000B $72
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 MC-Kit FM radio and MCE remote PCI-E x1 $95
That leaves $150 for whatever else I would need or need to change. Any help would be appreciated....... I came here for my first build and got great advice so I know this is the place to be :)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your current CPU/Motherboard are generally considered overkill for an HTPC, but they're the right price.
Nothing wrong with a full ATX motherboard for an HTPC.
I'd probably keep your current power supply (depending on make/model).
No problems with the Hard Drive you've selected.
I like the HTPC case you have selected.
2GB of RAM is probably the minimum I'd recommend. If you can find a matching set to 2x1GB DDR2-1066 RAM, you may want to consider it.

Your TV Tuner is going to depend on your video signal. There are no TV Tuners for satellite. The best you can do is go with the Hauppauge Colossus HD Video Capture. If you have cable and require a set top box, then I'd recommend going with a cablecard device like the Ceton InfiniTV4, Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, or SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3CC). If you have cable and do not require a set top box, then your selected TV Tuner is fine.

Keep your current graphics card for now and use a DVI to HDMI cable for video and onboard audio on a separate cable. Only if it's within budget, should you upgrade the graphics card to one with native HDMI.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The motherboard doesn't make any noise at all. ATX or MicroATX doesn't make any difference other than the number of expansion slots you use and the size of the case.

Personally, I prefer full ATX capable HTPC cases as they have more room to work in an allow for better airflow.

Also, re-look at the specs of the NMediaPC 6000B. You'll see that it does, in fact, accept a full ATX motherboard (the 5000B does not).

-Wolf sends

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Since you have a $400 budget here's what I'd spend it on:

nMediaPC 6000B case (as you chose)
HD6450 GPU card (assuming no gaming - just video)
64GB SSD for the O/S (huge performance gain here)
1-2TB 5400RPM HDD for media storage (depends on your needs)
Seasonic SS-300ET/ES or Antec EA380D power supply (whichever is on sale)
2 x 2GB (4GB) DDR3-1066 (you have 2 x 3 banks of RAM so there's plenty of room)

What about O/S? Windows 7 Home Premium x64?

tonytopping2002

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks all for your reply, I have been busy and not able to fully check everything for pricing, but I will and then get back to you with what I am going with and Yes I have a Win 7 pro I will be using as soon as I get Win 8 for my new System build :)