Clarification on Philips AE

Just thought I would pass along some info. It had been stated in this forum that all three soundcards in the Philips lineup use the same DSP. According to info in this review;

http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/philips/ae/

the Acoustic Edge uses a different DSP. The AE uses the "Thunderbird Avenger" DSP while the four channel (Seismic Edge) and two channel versions use the Thunderbird 128 DSP. As a result, they use different drivers also.

Why do I bring this up? Because some people had bad experiences with the Seismic Edge and condemned the whole Philips lineup without ever actually trying the Acoustic Edge. The Acoustic Edge is a different animal and deserves it's own fair shake. Doing otherwise is like having a bad experience with the Soundblaster 128 PCI and writing off the SBlive!

And yes, I'm very happy with my Philips Acoustic Edge. :)

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
4 answers Last reply
More about clarification philips
  1. thanks for your post. Its most helpfull considering I'm thinking of getting an acoustic edge right now and im running xp pro.
    Thanks

When I go into a computer store I lose all means of reason for some reason.
  2. Well, I took a look around Philips' remarkably slow website, only to fail to find for sure whether that is true or not.

If it is true, then I apologize. I am one of the ones that has said on many occasions to not get the AE because of the poor DSP (I have a Seismic Edge). However, the poor drivers are still an issue, since that is a company problem, not a card problem.

Not everyone has had problems, but myself and one friend both did, as well as a couple of people on this board. Good to know that the AE has a better DSP, though.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
    9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
  3. Yes, the Acoustic Edge is a good card. At ~$70, I'd be pissed if it wasn't.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...
  4. I looked on my Seismic Edge, and it's a Thunderbird 128.
    Anyone want to look one their Acoutic Edge?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
    9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Philips Thunderbird Components