• Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Graphics Cards
  • Cases
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 7:21:37 PM

I hope this is the right section, at least.

So I bought a new case(phantom), a new power supply, and a new graphics card and have been trying to assemble them with the current computer that I was using, but I've hit a road block.

What I've done so far is:

Opened the case, and mounted the motherboard (don't know what kind). Attached the power supply(Corsair HX 750) to the case, and connected the 24 prong cord from the power supply to the motherboard.

Attached the graphics card(GeForce GTX 480) to the pci slot, and presumably attached the power supply to the graphics card. (see picture for possible mistakes)

So now when I switch on my power supply, the motherboard gets power, but the graphics card will not and the computer will not. The case has given me the following cords to work with and I have noo idea where they go.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/coreyobrien/IMG_2...

More about : computer turn

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 7:42:24 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
You say you plugged in the 24 pin power connector to the motherboard, what about the 4 pin (or 8 pin) to the motherboard also? You'll need that plugged in also. Yep I don't see that one - it's the empty 4 pin in the upper left corner of your second pic
It's referred to as the 12v ATX connector
m
l
October 11, 2012 7:58:52 PM

The second cord that is directly attached to the power supply was an 8 prong that I realized came apart as two separate 4 prong. I followed your step, and attached that prong as well.

I'm already seeing multiple problems that I don't know how to fix.

I believe these cords should be connected to my motherboard to operate the power button on the actual tower:

And this is what my case looks like now after following you directions:

I guess I'm asking what my next step would be.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 8:11:33 PM

Those are your front panel connectors and near the bottom of your motherboard there are a bank of 8-12 pins that will have very small writing that corresponds to the markings on the connectors.
But you have other problems there too. The first is you need to install all (should be 8) standoffs under your motherboard - those are hexagonal screws which came with your case. The other screws go into those to hold down (and ground) your motherboard. Make sure they go into the holes lined up with your motherboard holes. There is also a small speaker that came with your case - that should plug into the motherboard near (with?) the front panel header
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:16:16 PM

I've been doing cord management and mounting those screws you just talked about while I was waiting for your reply. So does it matter where in those 8 prongs I put the front panel connectors? Since some of them are only 1 or 2 prongs.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 8:23:08 PM

yeah, it does matter. On the led ones, they are polarity (+/-) specific - the power and reset are not. Your motherboard should have a diagram (or printing) next to them (or within the vicinity).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 8:25:16 PM

Right under the CPU heatsink is the mobo model, what is that? I can find you a manual possibly.
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:29:48 PM

DH57M01
REV A00
YD0213

I also have two cords labeled from the PCI-E slot on the power supply to both the 6 and 8 prong connectors on the graphics card. Is this necessary, or harmful?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 8:38:28 PM

This link may be somewhat helpful, the service manual is done fairly well
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio810...
unfortunately, your motherboard is a Dell model which means (to me) not much information outside of Dell will be available for it, shucks.
Nope, your graphics card is right
m
l
October 11, 2012 8:49:19 PM

Found the manual for the motherboard. Unfortunately, the cords for the reset sw, power sw, etc are all two or 1 slot cords where the prongs it's telling me to connect it to all have some variation of 7.

If there's something else that I'm missing to putting this together, please let me know while I read through these to find out about that previous step.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 9:13:46 PM

The one with the blue inset is a USB 3.0 connector and it is unlikely you have that feature on your motherboard. You can get an adapter to switch it to a USB 2.0 connector (the headers for that are at the bottom of your motherboard)
The semi D shaped one with 4 pins is called a molex connector and can be used for fans and other things - neither one of those is critical to connect anywhere
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 9:16:47 PM

Two quick observations
1) nice choice of case
2) After this, you will be able to build your own computer from scratch... good experience you're getting here.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:22:31 PM

I was all confident that I could do this no issue, but this experience has shown me I was dead wrong.

That at least narrows down what I'm looking for. I'm guessing that all I have left to do is those power sw, led, etc cables. It's really frustrating trying to figure out how they work.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 9:24:03 PM

The diagram from that Overclock.net link wasn't helpful?
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:28:30 PM

It looks helpful, but I'm staring at it going.. which of these do I pick.

On that front panel of the motherboard I have red, blue, white, green, and purple, all 9 prongs, all labeled F_USB 1 - 5. I then have a 2 prong black slot that reads pwrsw1. From there another black 5 prong that reads SPDIF OUT2, and finally an F_AUDIO. I have something plugged into the F_Audio and F_USB1.

I still have a power sw, reset sw, and h.d.d. led with 2 holes, and two with 1 hole that reads
+p led, and -p led that need to be plugged in somewhere.

EDIT: 9 prongs, not 7.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:53:38 PM

Everyone hold your phone, I got it to turn on. Now It's telling me there's no boot drive connected, and I was sure that I plugged in my HD properly. Want a picture? I basically hve ot connected from the power supply to the HD, and then from one of the cords that's attached to the tower to it as well.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:12:32 PM

Some sort of technical genius in here. I got the HD attached properly and it started up with only a few issues! The LEDs at the top near the power button are wrong. One flickers, and the other's completely off. I'm guessing loose cords, it's something to play with.

I think all that is left would be the fan control for that specific case. After that, I am golden.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:29:40 PM

I found that mollex connector connected to an adapter which connected to my power supply which powered my fan control. Just the LED issue persists, and I've secured the cables that should be powering it.

I want to thank you so much for all of the help. I'd still be lost in the woods without you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 140 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a c 162 V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 6:31:46 AM

The 9 (prong) pin headers are for USB (if one says IEEE1394, do not use it, it is for Firewire) I'm going to guess here that your led that is off is the power led - the one that flickers is your harddrive led and will only light/flicker when HDD is running - try turning the pwr_led around - see if it works then.
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, I was without internet at work today.
m
l
!