August 19, 2012 1:22:23 AM

what would be a a good upgrade from a x800 xt agp

I'm thinking the x1950 would be good way to go
what about the 3650 and 3850

I'd like to keep it under 35$
the card need hdcp and svideo

thanks

system

84w Prescott p4 3ghz with HT (can OC to 3.75ghz)
2gb ddr pc3200 400mhz ram cas 2
350w silver stone psu (should not be a prob)

edit
yes I know AGP, don't go nuts or tell me to get a new system

More about : good upgrade x800 agp

August 19, 2012 1:32:52 AM

The best AGP card is the HD 4650 AGP. I'm not sure how much you'll be able to get it for but it's better than anything else on the old platform by a good margin.
m
l
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 5:07:40 AM

@quotemsg
go away if your not going to help :fou: 

I can't use a pcie card in the case, it uses a custom riser card
and anyway I don't need a new system
I'm only getting a new card cuz the fan is bad on the one I have
it would be better just to get a new card then a new fan as they cost about the same

15$ for a new fan
20~30$ for a new gpu
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 5:08:35 AM

Pinhedd said:
The best AGP card is the HD 4650 AGP. I'm not sure how much you'll be able to get it for but it's better than anything else on the old platform by a good margin.

wouldn't that card bottleneck a p4 ?
m
l

Best solution

August 19, 2012 6:02:02 AM

Anonymous said:
wouldn't that card bottleneck a p4 ?

Most people misattribute logic limitations resulting from an old processor to bottlenecking. Newer GPUs do have greater driver overhead and system memory usage (via PCIe, that bandwidth has to go somewhere) than older GPUs but the parts that a GPU does on its own it will continue to do on its own regardless of what processor it is paired with.

At times it may be forced to wait for that crummy old CPU to feed it instructions but if anything this is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU, not the other way around. The natural counter to CPU limitations is to have the GPU perform more CPU independent work, crank up the resolution or post processing.

To be completely clear, you are not going to be doing any modern gaming on a Prescott. They were poor gaming CPUs when they came out in 2004 and they've not aged well at all. They were struggling with mainstream titles in 2006, it's now almost 2013.
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 4:07:08 PM

Pinhedd said:

At times it may be forced to wait for that crummy old CPU to feed it instructions but if anything this is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU, not the other way around. The natural counter to CPU limitations is to have the GPU perform more CPU independent work, crank up the resolution or post processing.

thats what I'm referring to
I think I got it backwards

Pinhedd said:

To be completely clear, you are not going to be doing any modern gaming on a Prescott. They were poor gaming CPUs when they came out in 2004 and they've not aged well at all. They were struggling with mainstream titles in 2006, it's now almost 2013.

I'm not going to do any gaming other then games like ut04 it's more of a htpc
I'm tiered of ripping blurays and want a card with hdcp so I can just pop a bluray in and play it
but TBH the Prescott was a grate cpu in it's day, but today lol :kaola: 

edit I just won a x1950 on ebay

thanks guys, I did not quite get the answer I was looking for
but at lest I did not get trolled for having a old system lol :whistle: 

maybe some day I'll find a pcie riser that works and be able to use my old lga 775 system in the case
m
l
Anonymous
August 19, 2012 4:12:20 PM

Best answer selected by 3dfxvoodoo.
m
l
!