Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power supply dies mysteriously, any opinions?

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 8:22:49 PM

Hi there everyone. I'm not asking for technical support, just want some opinions. Today I left my two month old home built computer on sleep, came back about an hour later and found it dead. No power, nothing. I tested the PSU in a variety of ways and it just seems to be completely dead. I even used another power supply and the system powered on.

This leads me to believe that the power supply failed. It is a Seasonic M12II-750 BRONZE ATX 750 Power Supply that i got from Amazon about 2 months ago. I thought this was a relatively highly regarded PSU. The strange thing is that there were no signs of trouble whatsoever. No issues at all. I have not installed any new hardware or software. No strange smell, no smoke, no dust in the unit, no boot/power-on issues. Just randomly died. This seems very uncommon from what I can tell.

I am running SLI 670s and an i5-3750 and I thought that PSU would be more than enough for my system.

I hope that it didn't damage the MOBO in any way. Kind of lame that the product would crap out like that so soon.

It is under warranty so I am going to RMA for another unit I suppose. :o 
October 12, 2012 4:29:49 AM

Surely someone must have some knowledge of supposidly high end PSUs and why they might die for no apparant reason within 2 months.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 4:42:03 AM

everything is mass produced. nothing lasts forever. that is a solid supply, you just got unlucky.

or your house has dirty power.

are you using a ups?
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 5:48:12 AM

daswilhelm said:
everything is mass produced. nothing lasts forever. that is a solid supply, you just got unlucky.

or your house has dirty power.

are you using a ups?

It's possible my house has "dirty power"--it's an appartment building that is ancient and built in the 40s. I don't exactly know what dirty power is. I also don't use a UPS. What exactly is that? I just have it plugged into a regular surge protector. I have multiple computers running in the house but that one sucks the most power by far.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 5:53:53 AM

A UPS is one of those surge protectors like yours.

Sometimes, for lack of a better statement, **** happens.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 5:54:14 AM

dirty power, i guess easiest explanation would be noise on the line or small fluctuations. does your surge protector have a "ok ground" light on it?

a ups is an uninterruptable power supply. or a battery backup. this way your computer would be working off of stable battery power rather than whatever is coming out of the wall outlet.
m
l

Best solution

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 5:59:32 AM

Basically what Das said.

You might have just gotten unlucky and received a bad unit.

Or there was a power spike, brownout (when the wall voltage dips significantly) or some other freak event that killed it.

Extreme heat may have also done it, but I doubt it.

Dirty Power is a term for when voltages aren't stable and can vary from what they are supposed to be.
Depends on where you live what the wall voltages are, but if you monitor it and it is significantly changing up and down from what its supposed to be, you are getting "dirty power".
Dirty power wont outright kill a component (unless it spikes ridiculously high), but will wear out the component a lot faster.
Thats why 80+ Standard Certification states that (this is internal power, not wall power) there can only be a 5% variance in voltage. So your 12v rail must stay within 11.7 and 12.3 Volts if it wants to be Certified.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 5:59:41 AM

daswilhelm said:
a ups is an uninterruptable power supply. or a battery backup. this way your computer would be working off of stable battery power rather than whatever is coming out of the wall outlet.

I guess all this time I had no idea what a UPS was lol.

m
l
October 12, 2012 2:24:22 PM

Well, I guess I will invest in a UPS when my PSU comes back from RMA. Got any suggestions on a reputable brand for UPS?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2012 4:23:14 PM

APC.
m
l
October 12, 2012 8:51:49 PM

Best answer selected by nstiver.
m
l