jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi guys im jack, am trying to build a gaming pc (1st time ) and have come up with the following parts i need.

Budget ) $1000-1200)

MOBO : Asus P8H77-V , Intel i5 3570

Graphics Gigabyte GTX 660 2 GB OC DDR5

W DIGITAL 1TB BLACK

COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO

CORSAIR 8gb vengence 1600mhz

power supply - CORSAIR TX650

casing - c.m storm enforcer atx case

optical drive - LG 24X DVD

I am a bit confused regarding a few things

1. Will my power supply be ok for this build or future upgrades for graphics card.?
2. Will i be able to upgrade to higher end graphic cards with this mobo next time?
3.Will i be able to play games such as BF3 at 40-60fps with this build?
4. Any recommendations on any additional changes which might help reduce the price or not increase it significant?

Once again thanks for any help/suggestions.

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Quick question. Do you ever plan on overclocking? If so you need a 3570k and a good cooler. If not it will save a very little amount of money that can be spent elsewhere, but you wont really be able to adjust your cpu performance.

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi all thanks for replying .

I don't plan to oc which is why I chose the h77 mobo and the 3570 ( non k)
My question is would I still be able to play bf3,crysis 2 and future high end games without the need for oc on this mobo and processor

Secondly do I need to write my os on the ssd if I were to get one and does it make a difference having a ssd together with a hdd.

Lastly what other coolers would u recommend since I don't need a aftermarket cooler as stated by @breadwhistle above.

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi all thanks for replying .

I don't plan to oc which is why I chose the h77 mobo and the 3570 ( non k)
My question is would I still be able to play bf3,crysis 2 and future high end games without the need for oc on this mobo and processor

Secondly do I need to write my os on the ssd if I were to get one and does it make a difference having a ssd together with a hdd.

Lastly what other coolers would u recommend since I don't need a aftermarket cooler as stated by @breadwhistle above.

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

The one that your 3570 comes with is fine. But if you get a kick out of seeing your CPU temps 5 degrees lower, I guess you could get the cooler, but it is more time spent installing it and applying thermal paste and it costs $30 more. And like I said, if you aren't overclocking, the Intel stock fan is perfectly fine.

And yes, if you did get an SDD, Windows will boot sooo much faster and so will all of your applications. And no, I don't believe so, though maybe it does increase speeds a bit on an HDD, but I doubt it. If you are to install Win7 on an SDD, remember to unplug your HDD to make sure that windows recognizes it ac your C: drive.

Change the psu to a 500w - 550w psu (500w will work fine) and if you want you can drop the after market cpu h/s although I would keep it...way better than the stock intel. That build looks good to go though other than the 650w psu is super over kill and then some. One other thing. If you went with a cheaper case you could put the extra money into the vid card and maybe size up to the 660 ti.

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hi all thanks for the suggestions any cases you would recommend should I get a cheaper case but also want enough room for all the parts .

@whyme for the psu I was thinking if 650 is a bit too high also is 500-550 more than enough for my build as I'm not sure how to calculate

@breadwhistle is the stock coolant enough to not overheat my processor .

Lastly is this build capable of playing demanding games like bf3, sleeping dogs, crysis 2 .

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Yes I assure you that the stock Intel fan is fine for when you aren't overclocking. I bet you could not use any fan at all and your CPU won't overheat. I mean, if the fan was absolutely garbage and didn't work, why would Intel sell it to you?

And yes, it will play all those games fine. Even though it may not completely max out those games at 1080p, it will play all those games at mid-high at around 60 fps. Games like Minecraft and lesser demanding games will run at over 100 fps +/- depending on what game it is.

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
@ Why me and @ breadwhistle

Power Supply

1. I was looking at the FSP 550w Raider and the CM 525 W Extreme. Any opinions on this two for PSU or is the Antec EA 550 Platinum a better choice.

Im also thinking of NZXT or Cooler Master for my casing but not sure which one would support my build and have enough space for all parts also intend to cut costs as suggested for casing.

Lastly im not sure if to choose between the GTX 660 or the GTX 660TI and is there a noticeable difference between the two when playing BF3 or other games.

Once again any help rendered is much appreciated.

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
1. I'd go with the Antec PSU. It has a <93% efficiency so it doesn't lose power. Also it's better to go with the Antec because it's a great PSU brand, and you don't want so cheap PSU to hit rock bottom and fry all of your components.... Do you?

And there is somewhat of a difference between the GTX 660 and the Ti version, says these benchmarks.
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/2023/bf3.jpg
http://lanoc.org/images/reviews/msi_gtx660_twinfrozr/wm_bf3.jpg
http://techreport.com/r.x/geforce-gtx-660/bf3-fps.gif

So, there is about a 6 fps difference for about $60 more. That is $10 for a frame you probably wont even notice. I'd stick with the regular 660.

It's also not a good idea to not buy factory overclocked hardware. You can download a free overclocking software (I'd recommend the Sapphire TriXX OC tool) and overclock it yourself in what 5 seconds? All you have to do is move some sliders and hit apply.

BTW here is a good deal on a 660 I found (I'm planning to use this for my new build)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127702

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
@ whyme and @breadwhistle

ill go with the Antec ea 550 psu platinum and thus would save compared with taking corsair 650.

Next im not sure which one to take between the MSI 660 ti 2gb P.E ddr5 and the Gigabyte 660ti 2gb

another thing is im not sure how SSD works . Lets say i install games on my HDD and have my OS also on my HDD . What would be the effect of the SSD which is also installed.

Another thing is for casing is there any cheaper ATX casing compared to the CM enforcer Atx which is also ok for my parts.?

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
For the GPU that one is up to personal preference. Me, I think that the Gigabyte fans are really big and ugly. The MSI version looks nice and sleek :)

And about the SSD is that it's a

Solid
State
Drive

They are MUCH faster than HDD's and do not have any moving parts, meaning that you they have a much lower failure rate.
I think you have the wrong idea about SSD's. They are the exact same concept as HDD's. Store stuff. So for optimum performance, have your SSD as your boot drive, then have your HDD as your storage drive, that way Windows 7 and your games load much faster and your other stuff is safe on your HDD.

jackontario

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
@breadwhistle
Thanks for the help just to confirm with u im getting the Gigabyte Gtx 660 2gb f oc. This is the non TI version so is it capable of handling games without lag for BF3 and sleeping dogs.