Sign in with
Your question

Sudden poor performance after 1 hour of gaming. Fixed if no power.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2012 2:19:02 AM

After playing for about 45 minutes to 75 minutes, the PC has a sudden poor performance. The FPS is low, and after quitting the game, the PC has trouble doing basic functions. The response time is very slow and even the internet barely works. I restarted but nothing happened. I thought it was a software problem so I re-installed windows. Nothing happened. I opened the case and checked to see if anything was loose. I started the PC and it worked fine. After 40 minutes of Battlefield, the same problem occurred, I turned off the computer and then completely disconnected it from the power source. No electricity was running through the system, I started the PC and it worked fine. However, the problem came back after another hour of gaming. The PC doesn't go into this state if it is used for internet or any other thing that doesn't put the PC through stress. What is happening and how can I fix it? (I checked the CPU temperature and it stays at an average of 40-50 degrees after 10 minutes of gaming)

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor
RAM: 8 gigabytes
GPU: AMD Radeon 6950 2gb
August 19, 2012 2:41:48 AM

What is your power supply? This is strange behavior and I would predict the PSU as the most likely culprit.

Are your CPU & GPU temps OK while gaming?
m
l
August 19, 2012 3:18:29 AM

BigMack70 said:
What is your power supply? This is strange behavior and I would predict the PSU as the most likely culprit.

Are your CPU & GPU temps OK while gaming?

I have a 700 Watts PSU and when I build my system at Cyberpowerpc.com, it said that my customization needed at least 400 watts. So, unless they are wrong, it is not the PSU. I did a temperature test on the GPU and CPU after you answered the question. I played Battlefield 2 on max Settings for 20 minutes. The average CPU temperature was 45 degrees and the average GPU temperature was 75 degrees (It never went up 80). The temperature was stable and it did not increase with time. Unless I am wrong, I do not think the temperatures were too high.
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 3:31:51 AM

What is the brand and model of that PSU. Cheap PSU's often lie about what they can actually handle.
m
l
August 19, 2012 7:27:33 AM

Your customization definitely does not need 400W. Much more than that.

And I would like to see what the power supply is as well. The temperatures on my 6950/6970 run at about that, given I am in a case that has close to 0 airflow.
m
l
August 19, 2012 2:45:58 PM

bystander said:
What is the brand and model of that PSU. Cheap PSU's often lie about what they can actually handle.

700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
m
l
August 19, 2012 4:37:30 PM

Tonialb007 said:
700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Please answer the whole question. What is the brand of the PSU?
m
l
August 19, 2012 6:35:30 PM

The brand of the PSU is important. I have a 680W PSU in a corner of my computer room that puts out no more than 375W.
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:53:41 PM

Quote:
hello you should make post in other forum section, i believe the one where stands new build.
also paying 100 euro for card on your computer is probably waste of money. save some more and once you get 700+bucks you can buy entire set, ram/cpu/motherboard/graphic card

Homebuilt Systems->New Build

@Tonialb007: what about to dust off your computer mainly on graphic card fan, this could be causing the performance problems beside psu

best
revro

My PC is new, only two months. When I opened it after the performance drop, I did dust it off.
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:56:04 PM

Tonialb007 said:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=POWERSU...

The brand is xtreme gear

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1...
http://www.exiledservers.net/archive/index.php/t-5034.h...
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499...

Because it's such an off brand, it's hard to get professional reviews, but every link I found about that brands PSU, have given very bad reviews of it. Some were getting crashes when trying to game with them.

Even if the PSU is not your problem, you should replace that PSU as soon as you can. A bad PSU can damage parts.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:01:04 PM

Your PSU is lousy... I'd recommend replacing it with something like a Corsair TX650 or better.
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:12:53 PM

That is a very very lousy PSU. Replace is when funds allow.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:07:45 PM

Deemo13 said:
That is a very very lousy PSU. Replace is when funds allow.

Is that the reason of the problems I am experiencing?
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:08:51 PM

I certainly is a strong possibility. The PSU heats up and stops providing the AMPs needed, and the cards throttle down and you lose performance. Of course it's not the only possibility.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:25:36 PM

Even if its not, its better to have a good power supply.
m
l
!