System requirements for XBMC

russianheman

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I want to build an HTPC specifically for XBMCbuntu. I'm looking for the minimum and recommended system requirements before I start my build. Here are the features I will employ in my system:

1. Of course I will use it for HD 1080 video playback in various formats
2. Listening to music and playing karaoke
3. Emulation for NES, SNES, Sega, N64, etc
4. The system will store my library of some 5+ Tb of data of ebooks, videos, music, pics, etc (SFF not possible)
5. The system will need to act as a server for other systems in the house so I can enjoy my media in any room
6. Streaming video from Hulu and the like
7. Blu-ray drive for rented discs

russianheman

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

cl-scott

Honorable
We'll just make this even easier. Pretty much any dual core CPU, be it AMD or Intel made, will probably be more than sufficient. If you want to hedge your bets for the long term, you could go with a quad core CPU and double the RAM. You also probably want to get a video card that has built-in decoding for various video formats. Not sure whether or not that is supported on the Linux port of XBMC, but if not now, odds are at some point in the future it will be. However, the bar on that isn't very high, basically being a Radeon HD 5xxx or higher or GeForce 2xx or higher.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
For pretty much any HTPC the best solution I know of CPU wise would be an A-Series CPU from AMD. Specifically the A6.

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A6-3650-Graphics-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B0055ZCXUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350025852&sr=8-2&keywords=a6

You get the Quad core goodness and damn fine graphic capabilities at a very reasonable price. This model is on sale on Amazon for just under $90 and if you do want to step up further the A10 released recently with built in Radeon 7000 series graphics. The chip can negate the need for a graphics card entirely but if you want you can also get a low end GPU and hybrid crossfire it for a little extra kick.