Need Help/Critique with First Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 10:20:06 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.33 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $949.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Plan on using for gaming. As for the RAM listed, I already have it, but if I need something else I don't mind changing it up.

More about : critique build

October 11, 2012 10:30:20 PM

The only changes that I can see are personal preferences; this is a very well-thought out build. For example, I'd prefer getting a Western Digital caviar Blue 1TB over any Seagate hard drive and I don't like spending so much on a case and would instead get the HAF 912.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:35:29 PM

When I add the HAF 912 into my build I get a minor compatability issue stating: "ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

Will that be a problem?
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2012 10:36:02 PM

The board you have up there is meant for dual cards and the psu is meant for a single card. If you have no plans of adding a second card later on then look at a cheaper board meant for a single card. Asrock Z75 Pro3, Asrock Z77 Pro3, and Asrock Z77 Pro4. If you want to leave the option open for a second card later on then size up on your psu.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RJZQSW/ref=s9_simh... $75.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $314.98 save: $25.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:36:57 PM

Personally, would prefer Asus P8Z77-V LK, for mobo, as hear there are some overhating issues, with the Extreme 4, when overclocking agressively. Other than thay, all good.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:43:17 PM

malbluff said:
Personally, would prefer Asus P8Z77-V LK, for mobo, as hear there are some overhating issues, with the Extreme 4, when overclocking agressively. Other than thay, all good.

The only time someone would run into heat issues with that board due to over clocking is if they were shooting for the moon which would mean either a $70+ cpu cooler or if they had a Sandy Bridge cpu which uses more juice and over clocks way higher. As far as the Asus Lk, it's a good board but it's a dog in regards to over clocking seeing how it uses a 4+1 power phase config. That and you lose two extra SATA 6/Lb ports which is no biggy. That Asrock z77 extreme3 is a steal atm. It has the same amount of SATA ports as the Asus Lk but it comes in at $30+ cheaper.
m
l
October 11, 2012 10:47:57 PM

Why_Me said:
The board you have up there is meant for dual cards and the psu is meant for a single card. If you have no plans of adding a second card later on then look at a cheaper board meant for a single card. Asrock Z75 Pro3, Asrock Z77 Pro3, and Asrock Z77 Pro4. If you want to leave the option open for a second card later on then size up on your psu.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RJZQSW/ref=s9_simh... $75.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $314.98 save: $25.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Would you also agree with malbuff's suggested mobo, Asus P8Z77-V LK? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
October 11, 2012 10:49:07 PM

Just noticed the combo cpu and mobo you posted though. Not bad!
m
l
October 11, 2012 11:13:02 PM

Now torn between the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and the Asus P8Z77-V LK
m
l
October 12, 2012 7:41:20 AM

Asus are very good boards, however have no reason to doubt Why_me's comments about difficulties overclocking, with the LK. I've only knowledge of the V Pro, personally, and had ASSUMED that the LK version was as good, in that respect.
m
l
October 12, 2012 8:17:07 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recommend (and have built with) that board. If not I would take the ASUS over the ASrock, the ASrock has VRM heating issues due to cheap mofsets, now yopu may say I dont plan to OC much but to be honest why pay for a premium product thats not premium if you lift the heatsinks and look under. As to phases on the ASUS it's quality not quantity that matters and I would personally trust the quality from ASUS or GByte alot more than ASrock which is not a top tier maker.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:42:43 PM

wr6133 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recommend (and have built with) that board. If not I would take the ASUS over the ASrock, the ASrock has VRM heating issues due to cheap mofsets, now yopu may say I dont plan to OC much but to be honest why pay for a premium product thats not premium if you lift the heatsinks and look under. As to phases on the ASUS it's quality not quantity that matters and I would personally trust the quality from ASUS or GByte alot more than ASrock which is not a top tier maker.

Yes Asrock used the older moffsets on that board to cut cost, hence the reason it sells for $135 in the US and 109 quid in the UK. It's a budget board. It does just fine unless someone plans on over clocking to the moon and back and that's when those moffsets heats up. You don't over clock that high on a IB cpu unless you have a $70+ cpu h/s. As far as "premium" product goes, spend more you get more. I wouldn't call that board or the Asus Lk a premium board seeing how they are both budget boards that allow for people to run SLI yet don't meet the size limits of a full size ATX board and are thinner than your standard sized ATX board. Asrock has plenty of "premium" boards that I would match up with any Asus and/or Gigabyte board any day of the week starting with the extreme6.
m
l
October 12, 2012 4:05:15 PM

Why_Me said:
Yes Asrock used the older moffsets on that board to cut cost, hence the reason it sells for $135 in the US and 109 quid in the UK. It's a budget board. It does just fine unless someone plans on over clocking to the moon and back and that's when those moffsets heats up. You don't over clock that high on a IB cpu unless you have a $70+ cpu h/s. As far as "premium" product goes, spend more you get more. I wouldn't call that board or the Asus Lk a premium board seeing how they are both budget boards that allow for people to run SLI yet don't meet the size limits of a full size ATX board and are thinner than your standard sized ATX board. Asrock has plenty of "premium" boards that I would match up with any Asus and/or Gigabyte board any day of the week starting with the extreme6.

ok premium is the wrong wording. Its at a competitive price segment one where ALOT of motherboards are sold, now in the rush to add features that make people go "OMG look this has X and X and X at this price" they have cheaped out elsewhere, elsewhere being in a place they think you won't look but is arguably more important than some extra SATA options.

ASrock themselves tout its overclocking features all over their advertising for it that makes the heating issue more inexcusable.

I'll happily pay an extra £10 to buy a better brand.
m
l
!