Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card crashing (Nvidia/AMD)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2012 2:59:24 AM

Whenever i install the drivers to my graphics card and restart the computer, i get artifacts all over my screen, and it starts flashing and doesn't let me do anything. When i reboot into safe mode and disable or uninstall the drivers, then boot normally it works fine. This happened with an Nvidia GTX 560 Ti, which i returned because i thought it was faulty, but it's also happening with my Radeon 7850.

What's even weirder to me though, is that the 560 Ti worked for a little bit, i was able to play Battlefield 3 on ultra with no problems. It didn't start crashing until a little bit after, when i was just reading articles online.

I've seen a couple other people with the same problem, but i can never find a fix to it, so any help would be very much appreciated

CPU: AMD FX8150
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
RAM: AMD Performance 8 GB
HDD - Not too sure
SSD: OCZ Agility 3
PSU Thermaltake 750W 80+
August 19, 2012 3:12:02 AM

are the pci 6-pin connectors pluged in
are the GPUs oc'd
August 19, 2012 3:17:31 AM

I have the 6 pin connected to the card, and no, it's stock. Also forgot to mention, the card i had before the 560ti and this one, was an AMD 5450, and it worked fine.
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 8:30:02 AM

Remove the SSD from the system and see whether the crashes go away.
August 19, 2012 1:24:02 PM

Alright. My ssd holds all my windows stuff so i'all install on the harddrive when I can in a bit and get back to you.
August 19, 2012 6:03:48 PM

Nope, that didn't work either.
August 19, 2012 8:16:26 PM

Tyrant_08 said:
Nope, that didn't work either.

do you have Microsoft .NET framework v4 installed?
August 19, 2012 8:19:28 PM

Tyrant_08 said:
Yup

Got this from AMD

1. Download the WICU.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/W...

2. Uninstall everything related to ATI/AMD and reboot through programs and features in the Control Panel (programs and features).
Use DriverSweeper (freeware) to remove any remnants of AMD (check the "AMD Display" box) (http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html).

3. Launch WICU and delete anything related to ATI/AMD/CCC.

4. Delete all ATI/AMD folders in "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)".

5. Boot into safemode and navigate to the "C:\Windows\Assembly" folder and delete any assemblies which have the public token key "90ba9c70f846762e". It is possible that you won't find any, but check it.

6. Reboot.

7. Install the Catalyst package again. It should work now.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
!