Choosing among monitors with dvi or analogue video or hdmi?

nirvana4477

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi,
It's actually common for monitors to have analogue video input and also not so recent integrated motherboards are also fitted with analogue video output instead of dvi etc.
Can I be informed on the different uses and opportunities the analogue video, dvi, or hdmi offer and what's the trend? Thanks.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Many monitors now use DVI-I or DVI-D. D is for digital, I for analog meaning if you were to have 2 screens, one could be for programs, debugging, apps..the other would be the main monitor that you could use to game or whatever. Of course you could connect both for games like Warthog A-10c that which is better to have different views.

I wanted an hdmi monitor but could not afford one at the time. HDMI is good but not sure how it would work with audio it would just be for picture. But generally hdmi transmits both.

Most monitor standards now a days use DVI-D and most graphics cards come with adapters for both.

nirvana4477

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Hello Selayan

thanks for the info. I had no clue about DVI-I and DVI-D. I had in mind that only DVI exist.

Anyway, coming back to my question, I noticed that popular brands like Samsung are still having VGA adapter (15 pins - D shape adapter) in their 19 inches LED models. Why have they not opted for DVI also? Is it because of cost or there is the possibility of using a converter to add to the vga adapter to make it dvi?

Regards

nirvana4477

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Ok, then i guess that integrated motherboards or Graphics card available mostly are equipped with DVI and not VGA adapter?

In fact, I am from Mauritius and it's quite unfortunate that most if not all IT products are from China. So there is not a huge exposure and up to date trend like in US.

nirvana4477

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for your help.

Regards