Sign in with
Your question

New Home System In need of suggestions

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2012 11:58:05 PM

Hello-

I have been trying to lay down the perfect build and received a lot of suggestions from friends. However, one friend recommended I ask this community. I am looking to build a new PC. The system will be used mainly for video editing, photo editing, music editing and some gaming (I play some steam games and wow when I have time). The video editing software is all professional software used for movie editing, commercials and promotional videos. I really would appreciate if you guys could help me lay down something solid. I don't want to land up wasting money and not happy. I also do not want to buy a tower I want to build it myself. If you need any additional questions answered feel free to ask.

My budget would be around 3,000 I would really like to not go over that.

I do have a ATXB3KLW Case that is empty I could use but I don't have to.

Thank you in advance :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 3:32:30 AM
October 12, 2012 5:18:10 AM

As an alternative to the rig above (which saves you lots of money and is a perfectly valid choice) here's one closer to your budget that has some additional benefits. The nature of such a high budget is that you have choice, tons of it, so put thought into each component.

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW - $209.99
EVGA is about the only company with proactive customer support. Mobos develop problems outside of Newegg's 30 days often enough that having a decent way to RMA (and even cross ship) is very nice.

combo CPU and PSU
CPU: Core i7-3930k - 569.99
This is assuming you want to OC, which you should.

PSU: Corsair HX750 - $144.99
This could be downgraded if you don't value extremely high efficiency, modularity and looks. It's also a very reliable PSU.

GPU: XFX Double D 7970 3GB - $409.99
It is very important that you make sure your software is just as efficient with AMD cards as with nvidia cards. Not all software is, especially older versions. If it is, AMD has the advantage of extra vram for cheaper.

combo case and RAM
Case: Corsair 650D - $189.99
If you feel like something sleeker than that APEVIA, this is a very nice (and expensive) option. Quiet, professional looking, large and sturdy with a window. Also USB 3.0. Case value is subjective though so my opinion isn't that valuable.

RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB (4x4GB) - $79.99
Not sure exactly how much you need. Some editors prefer 32GB but I'd imagine that's overkill for you. I chose this kit since it's low profile and in a combo.

SSD: Samsung 830 512GB - $529.99
An SSD is absolutely crucial at any budget over ~$900. 128GB is a minimum. It allows for the OS and a few programs (say CS6, MS office, visual studio and 3 or 4 Steam games). 256GB allows for all programs and some crucial data (like a couple of current projects). 512GB allows for just about everything that could benefit from the SSD, allowing you to keep the last few months or so of work on it (depending on how large your files are). At your budget, get at least a 256GB SSD. The samsung 830 is a good choice but the crucial m4 and vertex 4 are also fine. Don't get a sandforce based drive since they rely on compression and video can't be compressed (it already is).

HDD: WD Black 2TB - $179.99
You have quite a few options here. WD blacks are by far the most reliable in the non-corporate market. They can still fail however. So if your data absolutely can't be lost and you don't have a backup system, grab two cheaper drives and raid them redundantly (since the chance of two drives failing simultaneously is nill). The size of the SSD also plays into your choice here. Also, get whatever size you want, I just picked 2TB as an estimate.

CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
Again, only if you plan on ocing. This is a very high performing and quiet cooler. If noise isn't a concern, downgrade it.

BD/DVD: Pioneer 207DBKS - 89.99
I swear by Pioneer for my dvd burning needs. Haven't tried this model but the reviews suggests it's everything I expect from a Pioneer: quiet, fast, accurate.

That comes to $2464.90 in my cart. I left out Windows, a monitor and peripherals like mouse and keyboard.

And remember that this budget allows for flexibility, feel free to point out any concerns.
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 7:09:54 AM

Sliced Toad has a good setup for such a high budget level, although I'd make a couple suggestions to change it.

If you're running an SSD as the primary boot drive, I would suggest not spending as much on a high dollar hard drive like a Caviar Black for a bulk storage drive. Get something slower, cheaper like a 5900 RPM SATA II 2TB drive. The secondary drive need not be lightning quick. You could save around $50 here. Although again, at your budget level, I suppose its not a huge concern. Sliced Toad mentioned hard drive failure. It is pretty rare for Hard drives to fail, but yes, you should always have redundancy on all essential data.

PSU, Seasonic made Corsairs are definitely among the cream of the crop, you can see in my sig what brand I trust to power my system. Although, I'd look at something like what I have, Corsair TX750v2, again, you'd save about $50 here, and not compromise performance nor quality.

Corsair makes awesome computer cases, they're also quite expensive. NZXT has some awesome options too (like the Phantom) which are just as good and might be a little cheaper.

GPU- 7970 is a good choice, although I'd suggest Sapphire. No real reason other than brand preference.

Noctua D14s, awesome CPU coolers, but if you're just looking for a mild overclock, and not an extreme, to the limit OC. A CoolerMaster 212 Evo is much cheaper and will do the job for you.

BlueRay burner. Optical drives are a dying technology, as flash memory gets cheaper and cheaper, and more and more people have broadband connections. In the next few years, you'll see a lot more games and software offered as downloads. You see now buying MS office and Windows that stores sell you placards with product codes on them that you use to download the software rather than buying a physical disk. Expect that to continue. As such, I'd just get a $20 CD/DVD burner unless you have a specific need for Blu-Ray capabilities.
m
l
October 12, 2012 7:58:10 AM

^all of those are fair suggestions.

The PSU I linked actually isn't Seasonic made, it's CWT. It's the same company that made the last generation of hx750 and hx850 and at least equal with Seasonic if not as well known. This specific one has been reviewed very well, though of course it's more efficient than needed and could be a place to save.

I used to suggest sapphire since I liked their products for both quality and price. But then I had to deal with their RMA service... not cool. I ended up just fixing the gpu myself by modding the card's bios to stop it from downclocking itself below stability. Took a while to figure that out and kind of turned me off them. Since the XFX 7970 isn't much more expensive and they apparently have decent warranty policies, I'd recommend that.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:04:45 AM

Quote:
The PSU I linked actually isn't Seasonic made, it's CWT.

Are they CWT? I stand corrected. I know the CX (Builder Series) are CWT, I didn't know the HX were. Yea, they're good too. (If the OP is wondering about this, a lot of power supply companies don't make their own power supplies, its just one of those weird things)

As far as RMAs, meh, in my experience, it doesn't really matter what company you go with, they're all gonna try and screw you out of your warranty any way they can. Although, Sapphire definitely didn't do so good by cutting their 3 year warranty down to 2 (they did that recently).
m
l
!