Sign in with
Your question

IGPU or no?

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 10:10:43 AM

I'm building my first built. It's mini-ITX.
I'm going with i5 and 7850.

I want the machine to be as quiet as possible (living room PC).

What I need to know:
- if I get a CPU without iGPU (i5-3350P, versus i5-3470), will that present "strain" on the GPU while idle or general usage (browsing, video watching)?
Or will I be better of with a CPU that has iGPU, to take over those undemanding tasks?

I just want the quieter option during general usage, I don't care about the slight performance edge i5-3470 has.

More about : igpu

February 27, 2013 8:13:27 AM

Ok, let's try again..

What is the difference in power consumption and noise of systems with and without integrated graphics?
a c 471 à CPUs
February 27, 2013 1:14:41 PM

Generally speaking if you are not doing anything demanding like playing games, then the iGPU should be fine. The iGPU would likely consume less power than an entry level graphics card.

However, you mentioned the 7850 so I'm guessing that is the Radoen HD 7850. Since it will be connected to the monitor / HDTV it will be used to decode and display things on the screen. The power savings between an i5 with and without an iGPU is probably 1w or 2 w at most when the iGPU is idling; which it will be if you have the HD 7850. Very negligible.

The iGPU can come in handy as a diagnostic tool should your Radeon HD 7850 have issues or simply dies. The iGPU means that you can at least determine if you have driver issue. In the worst case scenario you can jump online and order a new card.
February 27, 2013 8:29:22 PM

jaguarskx said:
Generally speaking if you are not doing anything demanding like playing games, then the iGPU should be fine. The iGPU would likely consume less power than an entry level graphics card.

However, you mentioned the 7850 so I'm guessing that is the Radoen HD 7850. Since it will be connected to the monitor / HDTV it will be used to decode and display things on the screen. The power savings between an i5 with and without an iGPU is probably 1w or 2 w at most when the iGPU is idling; which it will be if you have the HD 7850. Very negligible.

The iGPU can come in handy as a diagnostic tool should your Radeon HD 7850 have issues or simply dies. The iGPU means that you can at least determine if you have driver issue. In the worst case scenario you can jump online and order a new card.

Thanks, that's very helpful!
Reliability, or something to fall back on is highly welcome if you ask me, so I guess I'll go with iGPU processor.
!