Uncertain if included power supply will be adequate

mre2789

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two weeks (pending check/time)

Budget Range: 500-600 < total after shipping/building

System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, homework (powerpoint and onenote usage), editing videos, editing pictures, maybe some gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: I currently have an old monitor and I'm thinking of upgrading

Do you need to buy OS: Yes > i have an OEM listed in my newegg wishlist, what is the best option?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, although i'd love to hear any opinions about other sites

Parts Preferences: intel cpu, can be persuaded otherwise though.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No < a little too expensive for my range, right?

Your Monitor Resolution: if i did upgrade > 1920x1080

Here is my parts list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21326066

Please, if you have any preference for part brands/types, let me know why! I want to learn the ins and outs of all of this, I'm looking forward to this learning process.

You could leave your build pretty much as-is, but replace the PSU with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090
I have one of those Zalman coolers on my [stock] i5-3570K, and it isn't quite up to the job, or needs to be run a speeds that cause obnoxious whining. I would stick to the stock cooler at first. The money you save can go toward the PSU and/or increased RAM.
The hard drive you selected has an extra year of warranty over the Seagate. If that is important to you, you'll need to spend more, but MOST of the excellent-performing WD Black drives still have five year warranties. If not, then the extra capacity of the Seagate may be a good thing too.
What you mean by "maybe some gaming" should be your guide on the graphics card. If you get a larger case, the fanless card that jrgong suggested may be nice and quiet for movies, but your case could heat up and your other fans may need to run faster to cool it down, especially when playing games. "Fanless" cards are like "zero-emission" vehicles; the latter should more properly be called "elsewhere-emission" (significant if your power comes from coal), and the former require "elsewhere-fans" for the airflow needed to keep them cool.

mre2789

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
thanks for the responses. i just wanted to throw this idea out there, i've always wanted an htpc, and if i ever get to build a pc with a full sized mobo and everything, id use the cheaper one i'm building now as the htpc. that being said, what case should i get that could be used as a normal pc for now, and a htpc later. should i just get a normal case like the ones jrgong suggested?

TRENDING THREADS