Cannot enable 120hz at 1920x1080 on second display

R3N

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Morning all!

Was hoping I'd never have to ask a question here, but I'm genuinely stumped.

I have two BenQ XL2420Ts in an extended display setup and I've been using my HD 5870 iCooler Turbo to achieve 120hz across both monitors.

However, I've just upgraded my card to a HD 7970 Vapor-X 3GB Ghz Edition and I seem to be unable to get 120hz on both monitors.

There may be a fault with the DVI-D port. Both DVI ports on the card are listed as Dual-Link, however, I can only get 120hz on whichever monitor I've plugged in to the DVI-I port (This can't be an issue with either monitor and since each monitor has its own dual-link cable, the cables are not at fault either).

Can only get 120hz resolution when I have the monitor at 1024x768, according to CCC.

Things I've tried:

- Reseating the card.
- Replugging power cables.
- Using Driver Sweeper to remove all previous card drivers and then reinstalling new drivers.
- Swearing at the card.
- Ensuring the cables are in nice and tight.
- Pressing the button on the card which makes the Sapphire logo light up and activates the OC'd BIOS (I believe).

Does anyone have any other suggestions which I can try? Thank you very much in advance!

R3N

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Ah! Thanks for your reply!

That makes sense, but I'm still confused: Ebuyer lists the card as having 2 x Dual-Link DVI, which is where I bought the card from, and Overclockers UK replied to a query I had about the card telling me both DVI ports were dual-link.

Quoting from the Sapphire page you linked:

It has a slightly less sophisticated 8-phase power design and the versatile output configuration of Dual-link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort.

And then in the specifications:

Dual-Link DVI-I
Single-Link DVI-I

Ah well, time to look for a new card!

Much appreciated, cheers! :D

Yeah some confusion going on there...

The description doesn't specify the DVI-D port as being single or dual link (If there even is one as the specs don't list a DVI-D port at all) though it is poorly worded and leaves to much open to interpretation.

Good luck in your search for a new card!

:)