Best 120mm fan

So after various attempts to upload this thread... I finally did it.

Basically I'm looking for a 120mm fan for my Cooler Master Seidon 120m radiator. My gaming system is built with silence in mind and when everything else is silent but the fan, then it's kind of a let down. It's not like it's screaming or anything, but I'm kinda a perfectionist when it comes to silence.

It has been a stuggle to find a new fan that is less noisy but still maintain the same performance as the current or better. I'm not looking for a new air cooler or a new water cooler. I'm more than satisfied with the Seidon 120m.
I always find the best answers to my questions here on Tomshardware, because it's such a helpful and proffesional community, so I come to ask you a favor once again and help me out! :D

Specifications of the current fan:

600-2400 rpm
19,17-86,15 cfm
19 - 40 dBA
0.31 - 4.16 mm

It's used as an exhaust.

My budget is unlimited. ;)

Thanks in advance!
15 answers Last reply
More about best 120mm
  1. TheN00bBuilder said:


    Wouldn't a low RPM fan be better for silence? Although it would definitely not cool as well
  2. TheN00bBuilder said:

    Noise Level: 53 dBA

    The OP wants quiet :)

    Noctual NF-P12. They have a PWM one, you can use 2 in push pull on most of these coolers.

    They also have the NF F12 PWM that is supposed to be made for heatsinks/rads.
  3. nukemaster said:
    Noise Level: 53 dBA

    The OP wants quiet :)

    Noctual NF-P12. They have a PWM one, you can use 2 in push pull on most of these coolers.

    They also have the NF F12 PWM that is supposed to be made for heatsinks/rads.


    I've had a look at that fan and it really does have some silent operation to it! But the airflow is just not good enough.

    If I ran 2 would it mean I'd have to get one on either side? If so, then I wouldn't be too happy. I really want to have a dust free system and any intake fan without a filter is unacceptable in my book. :)
  4. bigcyco1 said:


    Wow, the specifications on the cougar really look impressive. I might want to have a look on that. :)
  5. CFM does not mean cooling on a rad/heatsink. Static pressure tends to help more. All fans loose cfm when you place a heatsink or rad in front of it.

    This is not to say the cougar fans are bad. They are well reviewed and all that stuff as well.
  6. nukemaster said:
    CFM does not mean cooling on a rad/heatsink. Static pressure tends to help more. All fans loose cfm when you place a heatsink or rad in front of it.

    This is not to say the cougar fans are bad. They are well reviewed and all that stuff as well.


    It's also impossible to get Cougar in my country I just found out. So that is off the table. ^^
  7. Well that sucks. I wonder if running a 140 -> 120mm adapter on the rad would work. Larger fans push more air at a lower speed. Those adapters also tend to concentrate air.
  8. Scythe or a Noctua do some good ones.
  9. Ohh, I forgot about Scythe. Can you get the Gentle typhoons?

    Well rated for noise and pressure.
  10. Either Corsair SP120 performance editions(put on the resistor to lower noise) with 67-ish CFM and optimized for static pressure.

    Or the Noctua NF-P12/F12 if you want complete silence, the P12 is pressure optimized but it is expensive and doesn't have great airflow(50CFM full blast).

    The Cougar Hydro fans are great too, but they're an orange color and I don't know if you want that.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181026

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001
  11. lostgamer_03 said:
    So after various attempts to upload this thread... I finally did it.

    Basically I'm looking for a 120mm fan for my Cooler Master Seidon 120m radiator. My gaming system is built with silence in mind and when everything else is silent but the fan, then it's kind of a let down. It's not like it's screaming or anything, but I'm kinda a perfectionist when it comes to silence.

    It has been a stuggle to find a new fan that is less noisy but still maintain the same performance as the current or better. I'm not looking for a new air cooler or a new water cooler. I'm more than satisfied with the Seidon 120m.
    I always find the best answers to my questions here on Tomshardware, because it's such a helpful and proffesional community, so I come to ask you a favor once again and help me out! :D

    Specifications of the current fan:

    600-2400 rpm
    19,17-86,15 cfm
    19 - 40 dBA
    0.31 - 4.16 mm

    It's used as an exhaust.

    My budget is unlimited. ;)

    Thanks in advance!


    Hi buddy been researching 120mm fans reciently ok for the last 3 months so i kinda know what im talking about now :)

    For system fans due to sound and power id recommend either.....

    http://www.corsair.com/en/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan.html

    or

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-030-SY

    Personaly going for the typhoon.

    For Radiators its a totally different field and the only 1 i can recommend is the.....

    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en&set=1

    Due to the pressure this fan creates and the volume of air with the minimal audio id reccomend it to be the best for radiators x2 fot a 120 mm rad or 4 for a 120 respectively :)

    Any other help needed just shout me bro :)
  12. Thanks for all your suggestions. I truly appreciated it.

    I ended up buying a twin-pack of the Corsair SP120 (static pressure) quiet edition. I even made a short review of it and the difference is so big. It's insane.

    If you see the difference, then take a look at:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLJpO5RcBA&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLb4M70nMCXfFDAfnv5e1-4zGvRXZHIcLP

    I wish I could make all your suggestions the best answer, as all of you made a nice effort helping me. Thanks again. :)
  13. Same temps + less noise. Can't go wrong.
  14. lostgamer_03 said:
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I truly appreciated it.

    I ended up buying a twin-pack of the Corsair SP120 (static pressure) quiet edition. I even made a short review of it and the difference is so big. It's insane.

    If you see the difference, then take a look at:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLJpO5RcBA&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLb4M70nMCXfFDAfnv5e1-4zGvRXZHIcLP

    I wish I could make all your suggestions the best answer, as all of you made a nice effort helping me. Thanks again. :)


    hell mate if u get results im happy for you :) ive just ordered 2 for myself so ive you to thank :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Cooling Fan Components Product