Monitor not recognized/Generic Non-PNP monitor

MegamanEXE

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi!
I bought a MSI Cyclone GTX460 OC 1 GB. The thing is, it didn't come with a DVI-VGA adapter, so I bought a separate one. The problem is, my monitor isn't being recognized. Before that, I was using Intel HD2000 (and before that, NVIDIA 9600GT 3 months ago), and it recognized it just fine as ViewSonic VA1616w.

But now, somehow, my native resolution shows 1024x768 and is standard 4:3 which I can't change and in "Change Resolution", it shows my LCD as 'Generic Non-pnp Monitor'. I'm sure it's NOT the card. I tried the drivers that came with it and I could change res to 1366x768 but it said "Out of Range". Then I uninstalled the drivers and downloaded the latest ones, now I could choose even more resolutions and I could use the 1366x768 res, BUT it changed to a stretched out 1366x768.

Here's an interesting thing, I googled and did something a dude told i.e pull out the plug of the monitor while the PC is on, it worked a little! The icons are there where they should be, but it feels weird, like the tray icons are a little blurred out, not what it should be. Because I know, when I had my 9600GT, the icons became SHARP! When I sold the card, the icons 'blurred' a tiny bit. It's kinda worse right now. I want them to be sharp like my 9600GT.

And my monitor still shows as Generic non-pnp monitor. Is it the DVI-VGI adaptor? I read the monitor's instructions, it said that if the monitor was not being recognized, or it was written 'GENERIC PNP MONITOR', not it says PNP, not non-pnp. But I tried installing the drivers anyway and all it said was my 'generic non-pnp monitor's driver were up to date' :/

I've found many helpful answers from this community, so I thought you could help. Any help will be appreciated!

SPECS:
Core i3-2100 3.2 GHz
2 GB DDR3 (I'll get more later)
MSI Cyclone GTX460 OC 1 GB
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W (38A on 12V rail)
Monitor: ViewSonic VA1616w
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

MegamanEXE

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Why yes, yes I did. The games with settings which can change aspect ration work like a charm!

I 'seem' to have made progress. I went into device manager, update the driver through the list, I was actually surprised to find my monitor there, but mind that it was hidden because they were 'incompatible hardware'. Now in the device manager, it shows not Generic Non-PNP monitor, but ViewSonic VA1616w as it should.

BUT in 'Change screen resolution', now it shows "Display Device on: VGA) and the blurriness is still there.

MegamanEXE

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Na, it has always been Let the 3D application decide. Do you think it could be the DVI-VGA converter? Because it's a simple generic one, not manufactured by a big company. Do you think if I buy a DVI-VGA cable instead, it would work?