Need immediate help with newly arrived rig issue.

Lucpol

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Howdy folks.

SO my new system arrived earlier today but havent had a chance to test it until a few hours ago when it was finally unpacked (been teasing me all day).

Ati phenom AMD Bulldozer FX 4100
Asrock 970 Extreme 3 Mobo
8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 (2 x 4Gb)
Integrated Sound Card
AKASA AK-968 X4 CPU COOLER
DVD+/- RW - 22X Samsung SATA
500GB SATA Hard Drive SATA 3
ATI HD 7770 (1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI
CiT Vantage Black Midi Gaming Case HD Audio Black Interior 4 Fans Blue
CiT 600W Gold Edition PSU
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

Was looking forward to overclocking it to 4.5GHz and upgrading the GPU but alas...i encountered a problem on the first power up.

Fans work, GPU fan spins, HDD spins, DVD drive doesnt open?!, But no boot...
After troubleshooting as per many threads here i came to a conclusion ( a last attempt before i send the rig back), of upgrading to this CPU http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/antec-hcg-750-atx-psu-750w-10934269-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Components+%26+Upgrades~10934269
ANTECHCG-750 ATX PSU - 750W

My current PSU only has a 4pin 12v connctor and the one im about to buy has a 4+4. I figuered perhaps thats why the rig isnt booting up despite the lighting show coming to life.

Second PSU i looked at is OCZZX850W-UN ZX Series ATX PSU - 850W
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ocz-zx850w-un-zx-series-atx-psu-850w-11342042-pdt.html

Any advice as to which one woudl be better?

Ifthe new PSU does not solve the problem i will be sending the rig back as one very unhappy customer.

SHop opens in 4 hours. LOok forward to any advice you folks can give.

Thanks

That's good that you're looking at a better power supply.

If its not booting correctly, look at the board. Does everything look plugged in correctly?
CiT does not make very good power supplies. If you can still send it back you might want to. If not, its a decent build and putting a new power supply is a good call.

I'm guessing you didnt make this yourself?

Also, you probably don't need more than a GOOD 500W to run that computer.

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

He didn't have everything plugged in correctly his psu only as a 4 pin and his mobo needs a 8 pin to power the cpu.

Lucpol

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for recommending a good power supply which i have now purchased and installed (an 8 pin as required on the mobo)
DVD Drive now works and same as before GPU, HDD +fans too. Sadly no display/boot still and even taking out RAM produced no beeps...

I am now confident that it is the mobo...which is why im heading over to Overclockers as we speak to order one in for delivery tomorrow.

ANy advice as to a good mobo for this system? current mobo included-

Ati phenom AMD Bulldozer FX 4100
Asrock 970 Extreme 3 Mobo -the current faulty one!!!
8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 (2 x 4Gb)
Integrated Sound Card
AKASA AK-968 X4 CPU COOLER
DVD+/- RW - 22X Samsung SATA
500GB SATA Hard Drive SATA 3
ATI HD 7770 (1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI )
CiT Vantage Black Midi Gaming Case HD Audio Black Interior 4 Fans Blue
ANTECHCG-750 ATX PSU - 750W
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

Im also wondering whether i should just bite teh bullet and grab an I5 3570k (ivybridge) processor along with Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H intel77 (1155) mobo, as i was going to initially.

Or should i stick with the current system and just grab a new mobo?

Please advise.

Lucpol

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
A quick update folks.

Have just ordered a cheap Sempron (AM3 socket)£25 @overclockers. WIll try to flash/update the bios so that it can support my FX4100.

If that doesnt work im going with new mobo.

Lucpol

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks Deemo13.

Hope updating bios will work otherwise- ill be struggling with the next step...

A new mobo or a switch to intel :p
WIll update when the Sempron arrives on Monday-as i just realised i missed the ordering cut-off for next day deliveries!?