Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X4 640 vs AMD Phenom II X4 965

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 3:24:05 PM

If you guys haven't seen any of my previous posts I am still building a server and I dropped Windows Home Server 2011 and I will run Ubuntu instead, I am doing this because I realized I can spend about $30-40 extra on better hardware than spending $50 on software that well....another software that's free can pretty much do the same (faster too).

A. So my budget is $400 and I am deciding if I should get the AMD Athlon II X4 640 with a Hyper 212 Plus/Evo Cooler so I can maybe OC it a little and also because I read that the Stock fans for AMD CPUs are obnoxiously loud and I want a somewhat quiet server.

B. Again, my budget is $400. The second thing I am thinking of getting is the AMD Phenom II X4 640, and instead buying an aftermarket cooler in the future since it has L3 cache and 0.4ghz different compared to the Athlon which already makes it faster and less need to OC it now. The reason why I won't buy the Phenom and an aftermarket cooler at the same time is because it will go over my budget.

The main thing that concerns me is that I see videos of the Pheon ii x4 965 and the stock cooler is incredibly loud, I am not that concerned about OCing. If it makes some noise I won't mind but in some videos it sounds like a vacuum. Which option would be better to go with?
February 24, 2013 10:08:32 PM

Sorry to bump this but in general, should I go with the Phenom since ts only a $15 difference?
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 24, 2013 10:47:06 PM

+1 the Athlons tend to only get to 3.6-3.8GHz maybe 4GHz anyway and the L3 cache is worth around the extra 200-600MHz. Note you can get a quieter cooler thats good for a small overclock under $10.
m
l
!