Is my CPU too powerful for my motherboard?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

A few years ago (before I became more interested in computing, and gained important knowledge) I decided to upgrade my CPU on my Compaq CQ5222UK PC. I did have an Athlon X2 II 215 at 2.7ghz, with a TDP of 45w. I upgraded to a Phenom II X4 970, with a TDP of 125w. I also acquired an Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2. Since then I have moved all into a CM Storm Scout case and added an AMD HD6770 GPU.

Recently, I bought myself an Antec Kuhler 920 off of Ebay (Due to having my Phenom at 4GHZ), and fitted it. However, I was unable to boot my PC and my Kuhler 920's fans were not running, and so decided that my Watercooler was the problem and unplugged it. Still no boot, and the GPU fan was becoming louder then quieter over and over again. So I plugged in the old Athlon 215, and it booted, however temps soared through the roof and I realised that my watercooler (with the fans plugged into the PSU) was not pumping. Thinking that this was the problem, I reverted back to my Arctic. And my PC booted on the Athlon, but not on the Phenom (which now has a pin missing - don't know how!)

Anyway, two days later - PC crashes and I can't even boot on my Athlon. So I now presume that either my watercooler has mucked up my Motherboard, or I put a too powerful processor on it.

Then I learn that my Motherboard (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01925534#N119) has a max TDP of 95w. Then, I used an overclocking calculator to learn that, before a break, my 4GHZ Phenom was using 143W of Power under full load (I did do some Prime95 burn tests to test overclocks).

So was the reason for my Crash and boot failure the fact that I put a processor drawing 143W at full load on a 95W TDP motherboard? Or was my watercooler the problem? Have I burnt out the VRM? And would a new CPU/MOBO combo sort it out, and if so would my watercooler work!?

So many questions, but I would really appreciate some help!

Best Regards
Luke

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's not good at all to run a 125W rated CPU with a mobo that specifies up to 95W as it's supported TDP. It won't cause a failure right away, but it won't end well in the short-term, that's basically a guarantee. Your water-cooler was not the problem. Not to mention, that CPU running on that mobo was not a good match at all, so yes, you definitely need to get a better mobo that will compliment that CPU.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

It will, the AMD FX series barely beat the Phenom in stock perfomance, in terms of benchmarks, but in real life, it is much faster. I run the FX 6300 & the 970A G46, and it does quite well in most, if not all, my games and programs.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

No Problem, be sure to pair it up with an SSD, as they are an increase of 50% over traditional HDD in performance. I personally got a 120 GB SSD for my gaming rig & going back to my old office PC is nearly impossible.